What To Pay Brad Marchand?

from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,

But it will be a new challenge for the 28-year-old headed into this season as it’s the final year of his contract with the Bruins ahead of unrestricted free agency. Marchand is coming off a career year where he scored 37 goals and really took a step forward for the Black and Gold. As the Nose Face Killah himself admitted, “it’s a high bar” to reach headed into a season where a lot of pressure could be on his shoulders individually and team-wise....

Given his age and his production, Marchand should easily expect to top the six-year, $36 million contract given to Loui Eriksson by the Vancouver Canucks on July 1. Another season for Marchand similar to last season – if the Bruins allow it to get to that point without a long-term contract extension -- could make the left winger one of the top salaried players on the roster.

An argument could easily be made that Marchand should be paid in the neighborhood of top wingers  Bobby Ryan and Zach Parise, and that would put No. 63’s price tag in the $7 million to $7.5 million-per-season range without even taking the natural inflation of salaries year-to-year into account.

Beyond the numbers and his comprables around the NHL, it’s about the attitude and competitiveness that Marchand brings to the table for a Bruins team that’s gone alarmingly soft in the past two seasons while missing the playoffs. He’s one of the few players still retaining some bite from the Cup team of the recent past. That’s a key ingredient for success and keeping the old-time hockey fans happy around Boston.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brad+marchand

Comments

If he repeats last season and wants to cash out… can very well top 8.5x7.  As much as I don’t like him, I’d take him in a heartbeat… Detroit needs a top 10 player again (crossing fingers on Larkin).

Posted by neffernin on 09/02/16 at 02:08 PM ET

I highly doubt he scores 34 goals again.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 09/02/16 at 03:12 PM ET

YOu know what’s funny? Is that I bet he gets something slightly more than Helm, like… 5 mil and 5 years, 25 mil lmao.. That would make Helm signing basically the worst Holland has ever done.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 09/02/16 at 03:21 PM ET

He was projected as a 3rd liner 3 years ago.

Amazing what opportunity will do.

You must be stuck in 2012 because 4 years ago he put up 87 points…. and perhaps that was 3rd line material in the 80’s…. or what you expect whatever team you follow to get on their 3rd line.

Oh wait, it was a dig on KH.  On another thread completely unrelated to him or his team.

Posted by neffernin on 09/02/16 at 03:30 PM ET

Even if he signed at the league minimum for 7 years it would have absolutely no effect whatsoever on how good or bad the Helm deal was.

Posted by neffernin on 09/02/16 at 03:32 PM ET

I’m just trolling b/c I hate Holland.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 09/02/16 at 03:35 PM ET

Double check your wikipedia next time neff.

Thats how many PIMs he had that year.  He scored 55 points.

I stand by my statement.

lul

On what team does someone score 55 pts in their 2nd year and project to be a 3rd liner?  I misread the stats, but still stands true.

Posted by neffernin on 09/02/16 at 03:50 PM ET

Love it, fling wild BS stats to make a point.  Off by almost half but your still right.  Nice.

You saw the mistake I made… and I owned up to it.  I suppose such things are foreign to you, but it’s what honest people do who like to friendly discuss a topic.  But feel free to mock me.

I’d like to see your links showing him being projected as a 3rd line center 3 years ago… oh wait.. you won’t find that.  Its just trolling, and what is ruining KK.  Make the argument that someone who put up .75 pg in their 2nd season is going to be a 3rd line center… or just attack my mistake.  I wonder which one is easier.. or if it is just plain trolling. I’d guess the latter.

Holland… honestly I think he’s average.  But to pretend he’s the second coming of Dave Lewis on every thread is a bit silly isn’t it?

Don’t you have something better to do than hate all day long?  By all means, criticize… but your opinion is worthless if you can’t weigh the pros and cons.  Not everything is so one-sided, and that’s what I like to discuss… the grey area.

Posted by neffernin on 09/02/16 at 04:00 PM ET

Off by almost half but your still right.

87/2 = 43.5 87-55 = 32

If 32 is almost 43.5, I suppose that means Helm was a good signing because he almost put up 43 pts last season?

Love it, fling wild BS stats to make a point.

Oh wait… nope… Troll.

Posted by neffernin on 09/02/16 at 04:07 PM ET

He was projected as a 3rd liner 3 years ago.

Amazing what opportunity will do.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/02/16 at 03:00 PM ET

Where are you getting that from? He was always projected to be a scoring forward, top-6 guy. The only knock on him was his size. No one ever questioned his scoring ability or his ability to be a pain in the ass for the other team.

Is he going to score 37 goals again? No clue, maybe, maybe not. But a 30 goal season is absolutely a real possibility.

And he will most likely get a much higher contract that Helm.

Posted by George0211 on 09/02/16 at 04:22 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Following this thread closely to see who wins the internet

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 09/02/16 at 06:17 PM ET

Who wrote this piece, Marchand’s agent? And Shazam88, your comment came out of nowhere to take down the frontrunners for the win!

Posted by Moose Moss on 09/02/16 at 06:42 PM ET

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/02/16 at 06:57 PM ET

Maybe it’s that you completely fabricated something that is absolutely untrue and won’t back down from it in the face of common sense.

I mean, I don’t get why he would quit over your stupid comments, but I also don’t get why you would stick to your completely wrong statement. Are you really so delusional that you think, three years ago, after a 21-goal season, a 28-goal season and an 18-goal strike-shortened season, people were saying “yeah, he’ll probably top out at being a third-liner”?

Opinions are one thing, but you were factually incorrect.

Posted by Garth on 09/02/16 at 09:49 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Opinions are one thing, but you were factually incorrect.

Posted by Garth on 09/02/16 at 09:49 PM ET

Sounds a lot like you’re saying, “‘you’re entitled to your opinion but you’re not entitled to your own facts,” Mr. Moynihan.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 09/02/16 at 10:53 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Is this the same thread that everyone is bitching about in some other post?

some thicker skin is needed around here.  If you are going to throw out snark, you’re bound to get some back.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/02/16 at 10:59 PM ET