Video- Susan Sarandon And Pierre McGuire?  Yep.

Now this is an interview I never expected to see.

from NHL.com,

Susan Sarandon is a diehard New York Rangers fan, but she got to experience her beloved team from a new perspective Wednesday.

The Academy Award-winning actress was between the benches with Pierre McGuire during the first period of the Wednesday Night Rivalry game between the Rangers and the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden.

"It's very fast," Sarandon said on NBCSN during the first intermission. "The closer you get, I mean I've been in the stands before, but when you see it on TV, you can't imagine how fast it is and how strong [the players are]. It's really fun."

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pierre+mcguire, susan+sarandon

Comments

“Let’s try to gain more casual fans by showing them how unbelievably miserable it is to watch our broadcasts.”

The Nascar guy with Pierre at a Preds game was a funny gimmick and that whole fan base is built on cheap gimmicks (catfish and country singers and D list celebrities), so I let it go.

The Eagles guy was a nice enough guy, but the overall product was insufferable. They explained the game to him like he was a 6 year old.  It was insulting to him and to sports fans everywhere.  I just assumed that would have ended this experiment.

And then there was Susan Sarandon last night.  That just went too far.  The NBCSN product is already hanging by a thread in terms of being tolerable.  She added absolutely nothing and wasn’t interesting in the least.  Just groaning and going “ooooohhhhh” at every chance like I’m watching the game with my grandma.

Sometimes I seriously don’t know what hockey fans did to deserve this never ending punishment.  And like instant replay and absurd rule definitions, nobody asked for this.

Posted by PMP5030 on 03/15/18 at 07:54 AM ET

It was as bad as you would imagine, but worse.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/15/18 at 07:57 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

hockey for the 21st century ...

sick

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/15/18 at 08:01 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Gimmicks are what hockey is all about in the Bergman era. He’s a clown, and the entire league is just a sideshow to him.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/18 at 08:17 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

That was supposed to be Bettman era, not sure where autocorrect was going with that one.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/18 at 08:18 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Justin Tasch of the NY Daily News,

The Susan Sarandon experiment went how basically everyone except NBC expected it to go. The verdict on Twitter was overwhelmingly negative regarding the head-scratching decision to have the 71-year-old actress, a longtime Rangers fan, be part of NBCSN’s coverage Wednesday night of Rangers-Penguins between the benches with Pierre McGuire during the first period.

Fans already weren’t looking forward to Sarandon’s appearance and only grew more displeased when the majority of her contributions consisted of her exclaiming “Ooh!” during scoring chances while answering occasional questions from the broadcast team.

In a release which announced Sarandon’s inclusion in the broadcast, Sam Flood, the executive producer and president of production for NBC and NBCSN, said “We are always looking to grow the game of hockey, and this approach provides us another opportunity to broaden the reach of this great sport.”

Except it seems a number of fans were driven to muting their televisions or turning the game off altogether.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/18 at 08:44 AM ET

Never been gladder to be watching the game at a bar with no audio.

Still groaned every time I saw her face - just imagining what kind of idiocy was going on….

Posted by Lex Talionis on 03/15/18 at 08:46 AM ET

Thank you for saying this.  Get so tired of hearing what a hockey hotbed Nashville is when it sure seems like for most people there, it’s just a big party with a hockey game going on in the background. Don’t get me wrong - I have nothing against parties or enthusiasm, but let’s not pretend it’s more than that.

During the final last year, they seemed more focused on who was going to sing the anthem (spoiler alert, guys: it will be another lame country singer) than who was going to start in goal.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 03/15/18 at 08:51 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

yeah, she had next to no hockey knowledge beyond some of the bigger names (messier).

they asked her something about her reaction if Lundqvist got traded. She asked: “Who?” and then dodged it by bringing up a completely different topic and rambled off.

I am more concerned, however, with how close and how touchy Pierre was during this.

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/15/18 at 08:51 AM ET

What’s funniest to me is not just how dumb the idea is, but that they thought it would “broaden the outreach” of the game.  As if there are Susan Sarandon diehards that otherwise wouldn’t ever watch hockey tuning in to see their favorite actress open the door to a whole new world while comparing Kevin Costner and Mark Messier.  What demographic would that even be?  NBC thinks they’re missing the 50-65 female audience?

Posted by PMP5030 on 03/15/18 at 09:00 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

They wanted diversity so they brought in someone unqualified, I guess?

Anyways, I can’t stand celebrities and how the major networks love to feature them in unusual settings. HOWEVER,  if NBC needed to do this, they should have had Chance the rapper fill in. I’m no fan but his SNL skit was one of the more funny skits in the last 25 years. Imo.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/15/18 at 09:40 AM ET

You really think they thought that, huh?

I guess the way they bombarded the media with all their promotion of “make sure to tune in and watch Susan Sarandon do colour commentary”, they must really have believed that. I mean, I couldn’t look anywhere this past week and not see a poster or banner ad or TV commercial heralding this momentous occasion.

Whiners gonna whine, I guess.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/15/18 at 11:17 AM ET

Glad I missed it. The spots with the NFL player was one of the most miserable things I witnessed during a hockey game. As if Doc and Eddie O need another distraction to take their brains away from the game.

Now I’m just waiting for Eddie O to bring a horse to a hockey game.

Go to a hockey game there and you’ll see just as many hardcore fans as any other city. No, they aren’t afraid to show their enthusiasm in different ways but they are knowledgeable and follow the game. Pretty much every arena I’ve been to has a decent percentage of fans who are there to get drunk, be rowdy and generally drift in and out of game action. Nashville is no different in that regard.

Posted by evileye on 03/15/18 at 11:44 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yeah, and to add to this a lot of fans traveled to Nashville to cheer for the visiting team too.  Usually part of a guys-weekend or something to that effect which tends to add a disproportionate number of people there to party.  A LOT of Chicago fans did this back from around 2012-2016 because it’s a short drive and Nashville tickets were cheap (it was cheaper for a group to go to Nashville than it was to get tickets at the United Center back then.

Besides, it looks like a fun time in a fun city.  Most people think of Nashville as a place to party (responsibly), so I think the org has done a nice job capitalizing on the scene and making it a party atmosphere.

I haven’t seen any of LVG’s home games - anyone know what it’s like?  I wonder if it’s gimmicky…like most of Vegas.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/15/18 at 12:19 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

No one is watching the studio show because it’s so bad. So, some producer thought it was a good idea and decided to let that badness bleed over into the actual game broadcast, as if that isn’t bad enough as it is. You know, instead of actually improving.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 03/15/18 at 01:18 PM ET

You really think they thought that, huh?

Whiners gonna whine, I guess.

Posted by PMP5030 on 03/15/18 at 01:51 PM ET

Paul's avatar

They should have talked with this kid who received a stick from the Rangers’ Pavel Buchnevich.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/18 at 02:11 PM ET