Morning Line- Pierre LeBrun on Vincent Lecavalier

I don’t know what’s left in the Lecavalier tank, but I sure would love a chance to see it play out on a contender. He deserves one more shot.

-Pierre LeBrun of ESPN on Vincent Lecavalier.  More on Lecavalier from LeBrun...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: vincent+lecavalier

Comments

duhduhduh's avatar

Avert your eyes, Kenny

Posted by duhduhduh on 01/06/16 at 10:08 AM ET

nEgativezEro's avatar

It’s why I think if a normal trade route doesn’t materialize by the desired goal of the Feb. 29 trade deadline, Lecavalier and Hughes would even consider—like Alexander Semin did earlier this season—terminating his contract if it improved chances of catching on with another team on a low-salary deal via free agency.

“The only chance he has is to take a big pay cut and become a good third- or fourth-line player,” said one Western Conference NHL scout via text Tuesday.

That’s pretty much the long and short of it. He hasn’t gotten much of a chance in Philly, but two coaches have felt he doesn’t offer enough to be in the line-up full time. At 4.5 million, nobody wants to take that kind of risk. If he terminates the contract and goes for a PTO as a depth player on a fringe team, it could work out. I could see him being a decent risk to improve the depth on a team like Florida.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 01/06/16 at 10:15 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

My Wings fandom aside for a second, I think it would be hilariously amazing to see Vinny end up in Florida, and then see him and Jagr absolutely tear it up for the stretch run and ride hot goaltending to the Cup final. Jagr finishes the regular season with 35 goals, Vinny puts up 15 points in 20 regular season games, and both guys are nearly a point-per-game in the postseason.

It won’t happen. But I really really want it to happen. At least, as a second choice to the Wings winning.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/06/16 at 11:17 AM ET

I’ve got nothing against Lecavalier, but I’m not sure why he “deserves” one more shot.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/16 at 11:45 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

because the game needs a Vinny in it?

Posted by duhduhduh on 01/06/16 at 11:48 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/06/16 at 11:45 AM ET

I think maybe the point there is that, Lecavalier is still an NHL player, he’s just not a $4.5 million/year NHL player. So he’s essentially a victim of the bad decisions of the folks that signed him.

Obviously, I don’t exactly feel bad for a guy making that moolah to ride the pine. Just giving a perspective on what may have been meant by “deserves.”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/06/16 at 01:19 PM ET

So he’s essentially a victim of the bad decisions of the folks that signed him.

As they say, it takes two to sign a contract.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/16 at 03:43 PM ET