MARCHAND NETS AN NHL FIRST AS BRUINS WIN HALL OF FAME GAME
After the Maple Leafs tied the game twice, Brad Marchand scored twice in the third period – including 11 seconds into the final frame – to lift the Bruins to victory in the annual Hockey Hall of Fame Game.
* Marchand scored in the opening 15 seconds of a period for the seventh time in his career, surpassing Darryl Sittler for the most in NHL history (including overtime).
* Captain Zdeno Chara scored his fourth goal of the season (4-4—8 in 19 GP) after tallying five in all of 2018-19 (5-9—14 in 62 GP). With points in six of his last nine games, including at least one in each of his last three contests (2-1—3), Chara became the fourth different defenseman in NHL history to record a three-game point streak at 42 or older.
* Members of the class of 2019 received their rings in advance of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Celebration, with five of the six inductees participating in a ceremonial puck drop at Scotiabank Arena. From left to right: Jim Rutherford, Sergei Zubov, Hayley Wickenheiser, Guy Carbonneau, Vaclav Nedomansky.
PRICE EARNS 10TH WIN AS CANADIENS SNAP CAPITALS’ POINT STREAK
Tomas Tatar (1-3—4) recorded his first career four-point outing, Shea Weber extended his point streak to five games and Carey Price (26 saves) earned his 10th win of 2019-20 as the Canadiens snapped the Capitals’ 13-game point streak.
* Weber scored his 209th career regular-season goal to pass Larry Robinson for sole possession of 19th place on the NHL’s all-time goals list among defensemen. He joined Mark Giordano (2x in 2018-19 w/ CGY) and Zdeno Chara (5 GP in 2011-12 w/ BOS) as just the third active blueliner to record a point streak of five or more games at 34 or older.
* Price (10-4-2, .917 SV%, 2.61 GAA) became the first goaltender to reach the 10-win mark in a season for the third time in his career. He is the 11th goaltender in NHL history to accomplish the feat in three or more seasons - including instances where multiple netminders reached the mark on the same day.
* Clint Benedict paces the list after posting six-consecutive 10-win starts from Feb. 13, 1919 to Jan 23, 1924.
WERENSKI LIFTS BLUE JACKETS PAST BLUES IN OVERTIME
Pierre-Luc Dubois tied the game with 2:50 remaining in regulation and Zach Werenski scored the overtime winner as the Blue Jackets earned their 30th overtime win since 2016-17, tied with the Kings for the most in that span.
* Twenty-two-year old Werenski extended his goal streak to three games and matched the Blue Jackets franchise record for the longest such run by a defenseman, accomplished four other times: Seth Jones (4-3—7 in 2017-18), Jack Johnson (3-0—3 in 2014-15), Fedor Tyutin (3-1—4 in 2008-09) and Bryan Berard (3-2—5 in 2005-06).
* Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2019 reflects on journey at ring ceremony
* Jim Rutherford became unique Cup winner en route to Hockey Hall of Fame
* Auston Matthews extends home point streak to 10 contests
* Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl show they're 'elite of the elite' for Oilers
* Jeff Carter 'grateful' to take ice with Kings in 1,000th NHL game
PREVIEW OF TODAY’S ACTION
For the first time this season, 30 of 31 teams will be in action. It marks the first of two 15-game slates during the 2019-20 campaign, with the other taking place on the final day of the regular season (April 4, 2020). Columbus is the only idle club on Saturday.
* There have been 16 previous 15-game days in NHL history, including three last season.
* The most combined goals scored on a 15-game day is 99 (including shootout-deciding goals), a mark set Oct. 25, 2008 and matched April 6, 2019 (6.6 G/GP). The NHL record for most combined goals scored on any day is 103 during a 12-game slate on Jan. 23, 1993 (8.6 G/GP).
* Click here for more stats and information on 15-game days in NHL history.
Thanks to the NHL PR department for the information above.
Create an Account
In order to leave a comment, please create an account.