* The Penguins, Rangers and Canadiens all collected comeback wins Monday to improve the 2022 total to 589 and establish a new benchmark for the most in a calendar year in NHL history, besting 2018 (587).
* Marc-Andre Fleury recorded his 18th 10-win season and Jordan Binnington hit 100 career victories as both goaltenders reached milestones Monday.
* Alex Ovechkin (797) continues his “Road to 800” on a 12-game Tuesday as he now sits just a hat trick away from the elusive benchmark.
PENGUINS SCORE LATE, RANGERS SCORE QUICK AS BOTH COMPLETE COMEBACKS The Penguins benefitted from a go-ahead goal in the final 35 seconds of regulation and the Rangers scored twice in seven seconds as the two clubs accounted for two of the three instances of a team recording a comeback win Monday (also MTL) – 2022 has now featured 589 comeback victories which established a new benchmark for the most in a calendar year (previously 2018: 587).
* Evgeni Malkin scored the go-ahead goal at 59:25, which stood as the winner, and Tristan Jarry extended his point streak to 11 games (9-0-2) – the longest run by a Penguins goaltender since Marc-Andre Fleury in 2011-12 (12 GP; 11-0-1) – as Pittsburgh extended its win streak to six contests. It marked Malkin’s 79th career game-winning goal which allowed him to surpass Jaromir Jagr for sole possession of the second most in Penguins history. Sidney Crosby tops the list with 83.
* With New York facing a two-goal deficit in the second period, Vincent Trocheck and Kaapo Kakko spurred a Rangers rally by scoring two goals in seven seconds – tied for the fastest two by a team in a game this season (also MTL & NJD) – before Filip Chytil completed the comeback with his first career overtime winner to halt New Jersey’s road winning streak at 11 games.
GOALTENDERS HIT MILESTONES MONDAY A pair of goaltenders helped guide their team to victory Monday while reaching career milestones in the process:
* Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 20 of the 21 shots he faced to snap Connor McDavid’s seven-game goal streak and hold the Oilers to one goal or fewer for just the fourth time this season. Fleury, who improved to 10-7-1, recorded his 18th season with at least 10 wins and joined Martin Brodeur (20x), Patrick Roy (18x) and Terry Sawchuk (18x) as just the fourth goaltender in NHL history to do so.
* Jordan Binnington (184 GP) made 25 saves in his 12th NHL shutout for win No. 100 in his career. He required the third-fewest games to reach the century mark among goaltenders to debut with St. Louis, behind Brian Elliott (175 GP) and Jake Allen (176 GP). Meanwhile, his 12 career shutouts are the third most by a Blues netminder through their milestone victory, behind Elliott (24) and Allen (15).
HYMAN SCORES ON #NHLSTATS: LIVE UPDATES Zach Hyman’s 10th goal of the season found its way into Monday’s rendition of #NHLStats: Live Updates as he became the fourth Oilers player to score 10 in 2022-23. Hyman recently released a reading of the third children’s book he’s authored, 'The Magician's Secret.' The eight-year NHL veteran is passionate about creative writing and uses it as an escape from the pressures of being a professional athlete – his entry into the world of authorship began when he won a creative writing contest in seventh grade which turned into the basis of his first book. Hyman, who believes hobbies outside of hockey are an important way for players to stay refreshed, always keeps a notepad close to write down ideas – his fourth book is in the works.
OVECHKIN ENTERS TUESDAY’S GAME A HAT TRICK FROM 800 Alex Ovechkin (17-13—30 in 30 GP), who has scored four goals across his last three games, enters Tuesday’s nationally televised contest against the Blackhawks on ESPN in the U.S. and Sportsnet ONE in Canada a hat trick away from becoming the third member of the NHL’s 800-goal club.
* Ovechkin, whose 28 regular-season hat tricks sit tied for sixth in NHL history, has netted a three-goal game against 17 different franchises – fifth most in NHL history. However, he has never scored a hat trick against the Blackhawks and has just one multi-goal appearance against Chicago in 21 games versus the franchise.
* Among the two current members of the 800-goal club, Wayne Gretzky managed just one hat trick against the Blackhawks (60 GP) while Gordie Howe potted seven three-goal games versus Chicago (316 GP) – only Maurice Richard (10) netted more against the franchise.
* ICYMI:NHL.com’s Tom Gulitti caught up with Alex Ovechkin (797) and talked to him about the magnitude of closing in on Gordie Howe (801) for second on the NHL’s all-time goals list. Ovechkin recalled meeting Howe at the 2009 NHL All-Star Game in Montreal. A signed photo of them together in the locker room is one of Ovechkin's prized possessions.
Thanks to the NHL PR department for the information above.
All the goals scored on Monday in the NHL.
Create an Account
In order to leave a comment, please create an account.