* Juraj Slafkovsky tallied for the first time in his NHL career, while fellow No. 1 pick Rasmus Dahlin achieved a first-of-its-kind goal streak in the Sabres’ victory at Scotiabank Saddledome.
* Slafkovsky and Dahlin weren’t the only No. 1 picks to shine Thursday, with Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins combining for eight points as Edmonton handed Carolina its first loss of the season.
* New Detroit head coach Derek Lalonde can achieve a franchise-first when the Red Wings and Blackhawks square off in their 750th all-time head-to-head game, while the Lightning and Panthers are set to open their four-game season series after the clubs met in the 2022 Second Round.
SLAFKOVSKY SCORES FIRST NHL GOAL AS YOUTH SHINE IN CANADIENS WIN
The Canadiens youth were on full display Thursday, with No. 1 pick in the 2022 NHL Draft Juraj Slafkovsky scoring his first career goal, Cole Caufield tallying for the 26th time since Feb. 10 (when Martin St. Louis served his first game as head coach) and Nick Suzuki netting his second penalty-shot marker with Montreal to match a franchise record.
* Slafkovsky (18 years, 204 days) became the fourth-youngest player in franchise history at the time of his first career NHL goal, behind Mario Tremblay (18 years, 75 days on Nov. 16, 1974), Jesperi Kotkaniemi (18 years, 118 days on Nov. 1, 2018) and Claude Lemieux (18 years, 141 days on Dec. 4, 1983). Slafkovsky also became the youngest Slovak-born player in NHL history to score his first career goal, eclipsing the previous mark by Marian Gaborik (18 years, 235 days on Oct. 6, 2000).
DEFENSEMAN DAHLIN, NEW YORK NATIVE TUCH MAKE NHL, FRANCHISE HISTORY
Rasmus Dahlin (4-2—6 in 4 GP) scored to become the first defenseman in League history with a four-game season-opening goal streak and Alex Tuch (Syracuse, N.Y.) became the first New York-born player in franchise history to record a hat trick with the Sabres as Buffalo swept its Alberta road trip (also 4-2 W at EDM on Oct. 18). Eric Comrie (40 saves) registered his second straight 40-save performance after stopping 46 shots in Edmonton on Tuesday.
* Of note, Baldy Northcott (6-0—6 in 4 GP) scored at least one goal in each of the Montreal Maroons’ first four games from the start of the 1932-33 season. Despite being listed as a defenseman, Northcott played games as a forward in 1932-33 and was included as a left wing on the postseason All-Star Team that year.
DID YOU KNOW? No. 1 picks in the NHL Draft combined for seven goals and 20 points Thursday, led by Oilers teammates Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who each had 1-3—4 as Edmonton snapped Carolina’s season-opening winning streak. In addition to McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins, Rasmus Dahlin (1-1—2) and Juraj Slafkovsky (1-0—1), the others who found the score sheet were Devils captain Nico Hischier (1-2—3), Sabres defenseman Owen Power (0-2—2), Penguins captain Sidney Crosby (0-1—1), Bruins forward Taylor Hall (1-0—1), Devils forward Jack Hughes (1-0—1) and Maple Leafs forward Auston Matthews (0-1—1).
ROBERTSON’S OVERTIME WINNER VERSUS BROTHER JASON FEATURED IN LIVE UPDATES
DETROIT, LALONDE CAN EXTEND SEASON-OPENING POINT STREAK FRIDAY
The Red Wings (2-0-1, 5 points) can extend their season-opening point streak to four contests when they visit the Blackhawks (1-2-0, 2 points) during a three-game Friday. Derek Lalonde can become the first head coach in franchise history to record at least one point in each of his first four contests with Detroit, eclipsing three-game runs by Jeff Blashill (3-0-0 in 2015-16), Mike Babcock (3-0-0 in 2005-06), Jimmy Skinner (3-0-0 in 1954-55) and Tommy Ivan (2-0-1 in 1947-48).