You Will Be Able To Know Which Players Have Been Protected Or Not For The Expansion Draft

added 5:12pm,

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

I love how the league caves on something like this, where there are *actual* ramifications for making the lists public (no chance now certain teams leave certain players unprotected that it would be in their best interest to do so, BECAUSE P.R.!!).... but yet the league resits making other things public that have basically no downsides *at all*.

What a stupid $#&ing; league this is, run by absolute idiots and morons.

Posted by Primis on 03/29/17 at 05:14 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think the problem with not making it public is then the Vegas GM will be the only guy who has the full list. So then they share it with other teams so everyone has all of the info. Then the leaks start happening. Some marketing guy w/ Columbus finds out Zetterberg wasn’t protected and blabs about it. I don’t see the leaks and rumors not happening, and probably enough to make the whole thing a bigger problem than just releasing the lists.

Ultimately, it will come down to what a GM prioritizes - if they keep a player protected because of PR, then oh well.

What a stupid $#&ing; league this is, run by absolute idiots and morons.

Don’t mince words, let’s hear what you really think! wink I don’t disagree though.

Posted by awould on 03/29/17 at 05:51 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

@PRIMIS

I’ve talked about this with a buddy at work. It is very interesting.  While i get the idea of keeping things private, i feel they at least needed to make lists public to all teams.  If only Vegas was able to see everyones list, then wouldn’t they get a huge advantage of seeing how every team ranked their assets.  That is basically what is being done.  Vegas would have a nice leg up on trying trades and moves with other teams do to having the information that So and so wasn’t protected.

I mean i’m not sure how big of an advantage it would be but figure its gotta be something.  As a fan I’m happy we will get to see them cuz i’m very interested in the process (I would love a simulator of some sort that i could go through and pick and try to trade with other gms. This should be picked up in EA’s next NHL game raspberry ).  Although if this means the wings protect Kronwall due to fear of hurting peoples opinions now that it is public then I’d push for it to be private raspberry.

Posted by Ataris18 from House on 03/29/17 at 06:34 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I don’t really get the argument that “only vegas would know”.  I think all the GMs could know, and it wouldn’t matter anyways.

And then would a GM actually go blab to someone in the media or something about another team’s unprotected assets?  Doubt it.  It’s not uncommon to hear, after a trade, that a GM had been working with various teams to get rid of an asset for quite a while.  PK Subban is a good example, where MTL had been trying to unload him for what, a year?

Guess the NHL is just trying to pick up some attention in the summer.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/29/17 at 06:48 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I wonder how many teams have made under the table deals, already.  Maybe a Draft Pick or 2 to leave an unprotected player alone.  Later they can make a deal to take a nobody from Vegas and give Vegas pick(s).

I am sure there will be more elaborate schemes to keep Bettman busy.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/29/17 at 06:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Ataris18 from House on 03/29/17 at 06:34 PM ET

Except the NHL is all about giving Vegas all kinds of advantages.  I don’t know if you remember previous expansion drafts, but for Vegas the NHL has allowed NHL teams to protect like half the roster they did in previous ones, so that Vegas gets all kinds of prime picks.

So you can’t say the NHL cares about special advantages for Vegas:  they’re already giving them some,  I don’t see that this would be a bridge too far for the league.

I doubt DET will be the only one who will feel they have to protect an aging, former star player in order to not hurt his feelings, when that spot could be better-used by a younger player.  They certainly are the first culprit you think of though,  Both Kronwall and Z might be protected, and both would be very bad moves for the team’s future…

Posted by Primis on 03/29/17 at 07:01 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Something the league constantly forgets (or ignores) is that they’re in the ENTERTAINMENT business. Letting fans have access to the protected lists is entertaining, as will the discussions and arguments that will ensue. That’s it. The players also need to realize that they are making millions of dollars to play a game, and if not being protected hurts their feelings, then call a whambulance. Getting traded, sent to the minors, etc, are no more of a disruption than not making a list, and any player with half a brain (ie Kron, Z) will realize that leaving them unprotected is a savvy business move, not a slap in the face.

If Vegas were to take either Kron or Z, it would not help their club at all (esp if they retired instead of reporting to Vegas), and would merely be a thumb in the eye to the Wings, which is not a great way for George McPhee to start out as the GM of a new franchise.

Posted by Steeb on 03/29/17 at 07:20 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Why would “feelings” correlate with money?  Why are you always inferring social “injustices”?

Posted by TreKronor on 03/29/17 at 07:42 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

That correlation is purely in your head. I did no such thing.
And I don’t “always” infer anything.
But if trolling me every time I post something makes you feel better, you go right ahead.

But I like to think that smart ppl like Z and Kron know the situation and I would expect that, if they are not protected, KH or someone will meet with them and explain things. They’re not going to find out by reading the lists on line. And guaranteed the lists will get out one way or another, even if it’s not before the actual expansion draft, so this will all be public knowledge eventually anyway.

Posted by Steeb on 03/29/17 at 07:59 PM ET

Agree with Steve above.

That is the problem with the NFL.  They don’t get it.  The leap over FG and XPs was FUN.  Now it’s gone.  It’s as bad as the not letting players celebrate after TDs.  It’s creative and fun.  #morons

Posted by BobafettVegas on 03/29/17 at 08:17 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by BobafettVegas on 03/29/17 at 08:17 PM ET

... what is the NFL you speak of ???

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/29/17 at 09:09 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/29/17 at 07:20 PM ET

I always found it hilarious that you and some others bring up how the players would feel, and call them crybabies or what have you. Acting as if they are not themselves people with families, knowing their careers could end in a flash, etc.

But Paul just posted an article, quoting Bill Daly;

The list is likely to be released on June 18 at the same time it is distributed to the teams, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said.

“Also, while I think the [general] managers on balance favored maintaining the privacy of the process, I can’t say I felt anyone expressed particularly strong views on the subject one way or the other. So, in the end, we ran it by the (NHL) Players’ Association and it ultimately became a pretty easy decision.”

The NHLPA obviously didn’t push back very hard. Making stuff up as we go, I see.

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/30/17 at 10:53 AM ET

There is really no harm in protecting Z. The Wings will not lose a quality forward on a good contract because they do so.

Protecting Kronwall is another issue. If they do so they probably lose Ouelett or Jensen.

If I’m Holland I’m setting it up so Vegas HAS to take a bad contract.

Posted by evileye on 03/30/17 at 12:05 PM ET

awould's avatar

If I’m Holland I’m setting it up so Vegas HAS to take a bad contract.

Maybe this was Holland’s evil genius plan all along - stack up bad contracts for the expansion draft.

Posted by awould on 03/30/17 at 12:54 PM ET