Video- Welcome The Seattle Kraken

Sweater rendition below. more added at 12:17pm...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: seattle+kraken

Comments

It looks like something you’d see on an Arena League football helmet. Truly awful. They picked the absolute worst name of the half dozen or so that’ve been floated for the past 2 years.

Posted by godblender on 07/23/20 at 11:14 AM ET

Oh jesus…The jersey image hadn’t been posted yet. Yeah it’s even worse than I thought.

Posted by godblender on 07/23/20 at 11:15 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I like the S and anchor logos, but not a fan of the name. Doesn’t flow well. And the first bit of whining they do, they’ll forever be known as the Seattle Karens.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/23/20 at 11:20 AM ET

Let’s all be Krak-heads, shall we?

Posted by Unhealthy Scratch on 07/23/20 at 01:00 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Yesssssss.

I approve.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/23/20 at 01:06 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I like it.  Like the name, like the logo, am okay with the colors, and my first impression of the jersey is a lot better than my initial impression of the Vegas sweater.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 07/23/20 at 04:25 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I guess it’s better than the Seattle CHOPs – but not by much.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/23/20 at 05:37 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Al the Octopus vs the smelly Kraken. New rivalry, two times a year. Makes it even sweeter. Lets get it on!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/23/20 at 10:58 PM ET

For sure I’d thought they’d stick with the “Seattle Colors’ the way Pittsburgh is with Black and Gold.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/23/20 at 11:16 PM ET

Lucce's avatar

Euron Greyjoy does not approve…

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 07/24/20 at 02:53 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Looks pretty good to me.

I really wanted Totems or Metropolitans, but both were longshots.  Kraken is a reasonable name.  The color scheme is… a bit off though.  It’s missing something.  Maybe if they added just a hint of the green as a nod to the Seahawks and Sounders, and a callback to the Sonics.

Posted by Primis on 07/24/20 at 09:23 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I approve. Gimmie an “away” jersey, pending roster.

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/24/20 at 10:00 AM ET

Agree it could use some green.
Maybe a different sort of oceanic shade.

Kraken is ok.

Rain would have been a little boring, safe.

Sockeye would’ve been funny - I’m imagining a mean salmon mascot.
But not so easy to go all-in on that theme.

Totems would’ve been cool and could surely have been
done as a homage to culture and tradition. But given the
atmosphere in Seattle, invoking anything relating at all to an indigenous
tradition would have been inviting borderline insurrection.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/24/20 at 10:47 AM ET

I actually like it. I would have preferred something paying homage to the Native American art out there, as it’s quite stunning to look at. Frankly, I’d never heard of a Kraken up until maybe six months ago, and in the current culture, I’d imagine a name that doesn’t come with a lot of baggage is probably a good thing. I do wonder how successful hockey will be there though. When I lived there, it definitely wasn’t a hockey town in the least. I organized a group to watch games and attend WHL games and we had a very small but loyal following. When we saw the T-birds play Portland (one of their rivals), there were very few people there. The Key Arena was already sectioned off just to make a horseshoe shape in just one bowl. They still couldn’t come close to filling it.  I will say I was exactly wrong in the reception in Las Vegas though. I played hockey there in the 90’s and nobody gave a damn about us or the IHL team (with Cujo starting) during that time. So, hopefully, with as many transplants as live in the Sea-Tac area, there will be a loyal following. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time until the jokes about the name come in… I seem to remember someone by the name of Phil Mc… something… I’m sure someone remembers the rest… I still am partial to Al the Octopus.

Posted by tbuhg on 07/24/20 at 12:30 PM ET

Posted by tbuhg on 07/24/20 at 01:30 PM ET

When did you play?  I am currently living in Las Vegas and I moved here into town in 1996.  I was able to watch quite a bit of IHL Thunder games with Patrice Levebre, Petr Nedved, Clint Malarchuk, and Manny Legace.  I vaguely remember CuJo playing for the Thunder, however.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/25/20 at 10:15 PM ET