Video- The Battle At MSG

Caps/NYR penalties are listed below.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Panarin out lower body.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/21 at 09:07 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Tom Wilson: the biggest POS in hockey today?

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/03/21 at 09:26 PM ET

Thag's avatar

Protecting his goalie, then gets jumped by three players. I guess he’s supposed to turtle.

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/03/21 at 09:43 PM ET

Wilson’s a real big man when there are NO real enforcers on the ice at the same time he is.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/03/21 at 09:43 PM ET

Yeah.
He keeps it up and he’s going to hurt someone.
He might want to check in w/ Bert senior and see how that worked out for him.

Posted by Ventr on 05/03/21 at 09:49 PM ET

Thag.
It looked to me like he intentionally falls on the guys neck, driving his stick home.
I generally like his aggressive, physical play but I didn’t like seeing that.

Posted by Ventr on 05/03/21 at 09:51 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

I fail to see how that is “protecting his goalie”. Buchnevich was tied up and the sticks that were touching the goalie were his teammates. I don’t think punching someone who is on the ice face down with your teammate on his back and you on his head in anyway can be considered protecting. Saying that I also didn’t watch the game so I don’t know what happened before this, but if you are trying to police the game do it with a fight with a player in the wrong, not with cheap shots to the head of a defenseless player.

Posted by tkfergy on 05/03/21 at 10:42 PM ET

You gotta get this PoS out of the league before he
paralyzes someone. There is something that is simply wrong with
Wilson mentally and emotionally. He hasn’t learned a damn thing.
With the Caps more likely to give him a letter than read him the riot act,
who internally is going to tell him to stop?

Or, before someone uses their stick and puts him in the hospital.
Washington has really gooned up by modern standards and it’s
hard to get into an arms race with a team like that. But sooner to later someone is going to put Wilson in the hospital protecting themselves.

The NHL won’t do a thing. The DoPS has regressed under Parros if that’s possible.  Obviously they didn’t blink at what Benn did to Larkin. That’s why someone on the Wings had to go to Blashill and say: this is our captain. Who did zero to provoke that. So many players are out of lineup but someone has to say: we could use Smith; we could use McIlrath (yes, both). Let McIlrath knock Benn and Oleksiak out of the lineup while they’re trying to make the playoffs if they want to play that game. Play hockey but finish every check and be ready to fight.

I wrote a little while back that the Rangers are missing
enough physical edge to push back in their division. Lemieux didn’t fit in for whatever reason, but they could use a player or two like that next season.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/03/21 at 11:03 PM ET

Ignore this “thag” clown.

He’s a troll.

Only comments to defend the most egregiously dirty things
Caps players do. In however many years it’s gotta be like 5-10
comments total, all mocking the idea anyone on his team could have possibly done anything wrong.

Doesn’t even make a cogent argument. Just asserts something ridiculous.
We can see what Wilson did. But yeah, his only choices were to behave that way
or turtle. We also have watched Wilson for the past few years and know very well how he plays consistently. He’s subhuman garbage.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/03/21 at 11:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Sportsnet,

Panarin left the game after the brawl with what the team said was a lower body injury and did not return. Wilson was assessed four minutes in penalties for roughing along with a 10-minute misconduct. Wilson flexed after making his way to the penalty box, an apparent show of pride in his actions. Buchnevich and Panarin were both given two-minute roughing minors.

“I figured you should have some more respect for the game and for the players,” Rangers forward Mika Zibanejad said after the game. “I don’t honestly know where to start. It’s just there’s zero respect. I don’t know why I’m surprised, just horrible.”

Rangers coach David Quinn said that Panarin was fine after the game but added that Wilson crossed the line with his actions.

“We all saw it. There are lines that can’t be crossed in this game and it’s just zero respect to the game in general,” Quinn said. “You have one of the star players in this league now, who could have got seriously hurt in that incident. You saw what happened. And you know, it happens time and time again with him. It’s just totally unnecessary.”

Wilson’s history of suspensions stemming from illegal in-game actions is long.

a bit more

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/21 at 11:14 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I just finished watching a replay of the game. Seemed like a not untypical type of scrum after a loose puck, and then wilson is pouncing on the ranger player down on the ice, and then he punches the ranger player. At that point several ranger players pulled wilson off. Would not term it being jumped by players.

Wilson may be considered a heavyweight in todays game, but I would love to see him square off with real tough guys from the 80-90’s because I think he would get destroyed.

That said, don’t hold your breath waiting for the league to suspend him….

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/04/21 at 01:19 AM ET

I agree with Lefty. Get him out of the game. The NHL doesn’t need goon hockey, at least I know my kids aren’t fans of it, and it sets a terrible example.

I’m all for great hit, give me Kronwall, give me Stevens standing at the blueline, give me a good fight where two guys square off and fight for justice over said hits. Those are hockey plays, after whistle shit should be an immediate suspension, there is absolutely no place for this in the game. This is how careers, like Franzen’s, get shortened. If I’m Ted Leonsis, Tom Wilson doesn’t play another game in caps uniform. I’d place him on waivers tomorrow because he’s a lawsuit waiting to happen (as its been said, ala Bert senior).

Personally I don’t want to hear another word from the NHL on protecting players from concussions as long as players like Tom Wilson can punch defenseless players in the head for literally no reason.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/04/21 at 08:35 AM ET

Thag's avatar

For some reason, the SN video doesn’t show the guy kicking Vanecek long after he whistle.

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/04/21 at 09:22 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Nothing suspension worthy there IMO, appropriate penalties were dolled out.

Wilson deserved minutes for the glove on punch, while the Ranger was down, in Wilson’s defense a guy comes barreling into your goalie, its protection time, easy to see in slow mo reply he’s knocked down and into him, but over-reaction without a doubt, penalty deserved and earned there.

From there, guys jumped on him from behind, 100% understand why they did, and they should’ve, but that’s hockey, and if your gonna buck up to a guy like Wilson, well don’t expect him to give you a hug and have warm milk and cookies.  Frankly both of them are fortunate Wilson didn’t drop his mitts and take them to the woodshed.

Here’s a question, about how many years ago would this have not even been post worthy? 25 years back McCarty did what would have earned him a year suspension in today’s game, that was celebrated, so figure another 10 years to start the frowny faces, 5 to really punish and remove, thinking maybe in the last 10 years this became “not part of hockey”

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/04/21 at 09:56 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Normally I like Wilson and the way he plays, but that was ridiculous.

He should at least be suspended for the rest of the season, including the playoffs, and likely have some sort of counseling. He’s obviously got a few screws loose, and that’s extremely dangerous because of the kind of player he is.

Also, the “flexing” in the box? Not a good look, Tommy boy. You’re supposed to be an adult representing a professional, multi-million dollar enterprise, not a posturing fratbro trying to prove you’re the biggest “alpha” douche of them all.

Posted by RedMenace from A Miserable Existence on 05/04/21 at 10:04 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Normally I like Wilson and the way he plays, but that was ridiculous.

A good player, but gets away with too much with very little discipline.  The NHL just looks the other way, all the time. shock

Posted by bigfrog on 05/04/21 at 08:21 PM ET