Video- Nathan MacKinnon Flying Back To Denver For Evaluation

Watch the fight below.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Bednar says team concern is high for MacKinnon.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/29/22 at 02:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Well, there’s a lot of things wrong with this.

1) Despite the Wild’s broadcast crew insisting this was a “good clean hit”, I’m not so sure about that but I’m not going to dwell on it that much because…well, DOPS has their own mindset on those things.

2) Why is MacKinnon the one who has to take matters into his own hands?  It’s not like he was squaring up against Kronwall after being Kronwalled….no.  He’s fighting an enforcer and tough guy who can stand his own ground and probably has more fights this month than MacKinnon has his whole career.

3) Also foolish of MacKinnon to put himself into harms way.

4) I don’t know the Avs roster these days, but do they not have an enforcer in the lineup who could settle the score?  If not right after the hit, on a later shift?

Posted by TreKronor on 03/29/22 at 02:45 PM ET

Dumba is quickly becoming one of the least likable
players in the NHL. Yep, same guy who tried to maim a prone
Raymond for no reason and then wouldn’t fight even non-fighters.

Is he why the Wild felt they needed to add a fighter and more
physical players - because Dumba is a cheapshot artist who will only fight
another team’s stars? Anyone think Dumba would go with Landeskog?

Colorado actually has about the biggest best fighter in the league.
Dumba should have a target on his back for how he plays in general.
He’s a Marchand-type player in a more low-key way.

And the Minnesota broadcasters were beyond belief.
They confidently asserted it was a great totally clean hit
and just kept blankly repeating that, as each successive angle showed
it was a tucked elbow aimed and placed directly to the chin.
I kept waiting for one of them to say “wait a minute - looks like Dumba did get him a little high”. Nothing. Just committed to the most homer explanation in advance and pretended no video showed otherwise.

I was kind of liking Minnesota this year and had forgotten - until he returned from injury - what kind of player Dumba is.

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/29/22 at 03:15 PM ET

From the ice end angle it definitely looks like a clean hit.  Regardless he definitely didn’t do anything extra on it dirty.  And hockey players fight.  I’ll never care about a guy deciding to stand up if he feels he has to, ever.  Unfortunate, fluke injury whatever it is cause he handled dumba.  I think those players have a good enough pulse on their team to decide how they want to play.  Seem to be doing alright.  And I’m not sure if they have an enforcer but they don’t really need one.  All their skill guys are big and can throw hands.  They’re very much like the cup winning wings teams I’m how they’re built and mentality. Sakic has put a hell of a roster together.

Posted by ThatGuy on 03/29/22 at 03:44 PM ET

As much as I have a natural dislike for the Avs, after the games we played vs the Wild this year, I hope the Wild choke on their own spit

Posted by exor54 on 03/29/22 at 03:56 PM ET

MacKinnon needs to stay away from the roughing.  He’s more important to his team to be the driver than whatever he’s trying to be here.  I like the guy, but man’s gotta know his worth.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 03/29/22 at 06:02 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I was never a Mild fan. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 03/29/22 at 08:06 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Someone needs to take out Dumbo. He is another waste on the ice, a hoodlum on skates a cheap shot artist at best. Just the BS he pulled Raymond tells you his nature. And the league is not much better for letting a guy like him destroy real players of the game.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/29/22 at 08:09 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

NHL has to handle Dumba with kid gloves, he’s a major player in the Hockey Diversity Alliance

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/29/22 at 08:19 PM ET

I was a little more partial to Minnesota once
I became *the last person in North America*
to figure out that’s a multicolored bear on their jerseys.

It’s also been an interesting rebuilding/remodeling
story over there - more entertaining series of major changes
and more successful ones that you normally see.

But no more.

I wonder if Dumba is a somewhat more protected player at least
at the league office given his very high profile embrace of leading
players in kneeling, etc. I’m not talking a view of that. Just saying
he really made it part of his rep and received a lot of positive coverage
from a league scrambling to figure out how to deal with related issues.
But who knows - some guys like Marchand just play a role and get away with it.
Dumba isn’t as good a player but he’s a top four type when healthy.
I’m not against the instigator rule or in favor of non-fighters being attacked by goons.
But I also see the downside:  intentionally, serially dangerous players with no respect for their fellow players who refuse to be accountable in any meaningful way and are protected by tougher teammates and the league office.

As for MacKinnon he’s been fighting his own battles and teammates battles
and it just seems to be part of what makes him tick. But agreed. Colorado is going all in for a Cup. If they never make it over the hump due to injuries or whatever it’s going to be one of the more disappointing highly-touted contenders of the past several years. Colorado is tough enough that Macakinnon doesn’t have to do this.

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/29/22 at 09:29 PM ET