Video- Mark Borowiecki Suspended 3 Games

Illegal check to the head is the reason.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mark+borowiecki

Comments

Paul's avatar

NEW YORK (Oct. 29, 2018) – Ottawa Senators defenseman Mark Borowiecki has been suspended for three games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Vegas Golden Knights forward Cody Eakin during NHL Game No. 163 in Las Vegas on Sunday, Oct. 28, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 15:24 of the first period. Borowiecki was assessed a major penalty for charging as well as a game misconduct.

Borowiecki is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $43,902.45. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/29/18 at 08:55 PM ET

Watching the same guys come from distance and very avoidably pick a guy’s head
is getting awfully old.

3 games honestly doesn’t sound like enough to get this guy’s attention.

I understand the DoPS has to ultimately defend their rulings before an arbitrator if appealed.
But the endless parsing and exceptions and qualifications essentially makes the Tom Wilson suspension for example only for Tom Wilson.

Is it going to effectively instruct or deter anyone else?

It’s essentially the same hit, over and over. I’m not arguing for collective responsibility for one guy’s headshot, but come on, the DoPS is acting like there is no need for collective learning and accountability for different players to adjust accordingly to what the league is repeatedly ruling as out of bounds. Does each guy have to do it five times in a hundred games or whatever in order to receive a harsh penalty? That’s a lot of headshots.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/30/18 at 02:30 AM ET

Primis's avatar

It was his second hearing for this IN A WEEK…. and he only got 3 games?

Jesus Christ.  Where are you on this, NHLPA?  Why are you so unwilling to take a stand for something that isn’t money?  Why are you scared to fight for the safety of your members?

Oh right, because the NHLPA *is* solely about money, and it’s solely about making money for the the non-players involved in it, just like every single other union in the history of ever.  Silly me…

Posted by Primis on 10/30/18 at 07:49 AM ET

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/30/18 at 02:30 AM ET

I agree 3 seems pretty light given the talk and stance they claim to be taking on these kinds of hits. I’m not trying to turn the game into a figure skating exhibition, but if you cover 20 feet to lay a hit and still clip their head then throw the damn book at them. If they really want to eliminate unnecessary head shots then they’re going to have to get serious and start giving guys 5-10 games for first offenses for hits like these (even though this was his 2nd this WEEK). Again, I understand if it’s a bang-bang play and someone gets clipped, you can’t legislate physical contact out of the game, that’s not what this was. He knew what he was doing and made contact that could have and should have been avoided.

Posted by MZ2215 on 10/30/18 at 09:14 AM ET

I agree the NHLPA is remiss and needs to be called out on this.

It’s not just about limiting the very justifiable suspensions for repeat offenders.
If they think that’s the letter of their mission they’re sure missing the spirit of it.

But I’ve gotta object to the totally generalized union bashing.

I had heard similar complaints from mostly ideological or partisan opponents of
unions before I was ever a member myself. That was just one job experience out of many many
more non-union jobs.

My reps and the whole organization and the services they offered to help members?
Blew my mind. Borderline saints. Some of the most caring people I’ve ever met in my life.
And they sure didn’t do it with what was good for the local or district unions financial benefitlet alone for their own bottom line. I’m talking counseling services for employees who just lost their parents. I’ve seen reps who are working class themselves reach into their own pockets and give a struggling member $20 to buy some groceries. If an employee has a personal or family emergency or has to be out due to a legit disability, the union wrote them a check for a $100 or so and the local matched, or they helped them sign up for short term disability which got them through a couple months until they were better physically or mentally. It was more like volunteers at a church charity or social workers but for people who had worked hard as members. Some unions are amazing and some employers are abusive or unfair. It varies.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/30/18 at 10:08 AM ET