Trying To Make A Point Or Just Antagonizing?

The Characters:

Rob Rossi- I'm a flea-bit peanut monkey. All my friends are junkies. That's not really true...

Sports editor. Skeptic. Russian-leaning hockey fan. Radio hostTalking headRecovering newspaper addictAuthor(coming soon).

Barry Trotz- Head Coach of the Washington Capitals

from Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog,

“Barry, is the play by Alex that led to Sid sort of staggering into Niskanen — where he appeared to get the stick up toward the face — is that a hockey play?” Rossi asked.

“Was there a penalty?” Trotz asked. “I don’t understand . …

“Does there have to be a penalty to [not] be a hockey play?” Rossi countered. “I’m just asking. Is it a hockey play also?”

“I’m not going to defend anything,” Trotz said. “You want me to defend Alex? Then is [Chris] Kunitz’s predatory hit on [T.J.] Oshie okay? Or the one on [Nicklas] Backstrom, is that okay? I’m not gonna debate about all that stuff. So that’s a terrible question.”

“I was just asking about the stick,” Rossi said. “So, no? So, no, Barry?”

“Next,” Trotz said. “You got your answer.”

Rossi wasn't done, let's go to the video...

The Leadup

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: barry+trotz, rob+rossi

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Paul's avatar

Also from Rob Rossi of upgruv,

A

lex Ovechkin shouldn’t play another game in these Stanley Cup playoffs.

He will.

And that is why very few people of reason take the NHL seriously….

Ovechkin was the reason Crosby only lasted three shifts in Game 3. He was the Capital most responsible for Crosby’s injury.

He carelessly lifted his stick into Crosby’s head, forcing the NHL’s sturdiest skater to stagger into Niskanen. If Ovechkin hadn’t gone that route, Crosby wouldn’t have gone headfirst into a check.

Ovechkin, who never met a leap he wouldn’t take, who holds high the stick he often swings at opponents, was the dirty-deed doer at PPG Paints Arena in Game 3.

Ovechkin, who can’t beat Crosby on the ice, decided to remove him from it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 02:04 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Man, that was an ugly play.
From the look of Crosby after the hit, he will not return for the playoffs.
He may never play hockey again.

The best player in the league, taken out by a targeted hit to the head.

cool mad

Posted by w2j2 on 05/02/17 at 06:10 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

What a dolt. This is the definition of giving a team “bulletin board material”.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 05/02/17 at 06:25 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

Out of desperation, the Washington Capitals could have dug deep and turned to their star winger to score a goal or a defenseman to prevent one.

Instead, they resorted to one of hockey’s cheapest tricks: take out the opponent’s best player.

There is no sorrier sight in the Stanley Cup playoffs than to watch the world’s best player struggle to skate off the ice, not knowing the severity of his injury but certain that he won’t return.

A play that could have been the go-ahead goal for the Penguins instead delivered their worst nightmare.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 06:31 AM ET

What a bunch of babies in Pittsburgh. This was a freak accident. Players get slashed and tripped a 100 times a game.  Ovechkin didn’t do anything out of the ordinary here, yeah he slashed him, probably should have had a 2 minute penalty for slashing. Niskanen didn’t do much either, Crosby was on his way down and Niskanen had his stick up, I don’t see any premeditation here.

It started with a slash and then looks like Crosby hit a rut in the ice.

Posted by George0211 on 05/02/17 at 06:48 AM ET

Niskanen didn’t do much either

Premeditated or not, the fact is that Niskanen cross-checks Crosby DIRECTLY in the head. If you truly can’t see that then you’re either blind or willfully ignorant…and if you mention something about a conspiracy to protect only Sidney Crosby then you’ll prove that it’s the latter.

Posted by godblender on 05/02/17 at 07:24 AM ET

Posted by godblender on 05/02/17 at 08:24 AM ET

And you’ve obviously never played hockey.
I never said he didn’t cross check him. He looked more like he was protecting himself than trying to hit Crosby. Not intentional at all. It’s more of a reaction when someone is flying into you.
Bad accident and bad break for Crosby, but to scream that Ovechkin should never play again is just idiotic.

Posted by George0211 on 05/02/17 at 07:30 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Man, that was an ugly play.
From the look of Crosby after the hit, he will not return for the playoffs.
He may never play hockey again.

The best player in the league, taken out by a targeted hit to the head.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/02/17 at 07:10 AM ET

Who knew Rob Rossi was a KK reader?  This is sarcasm, right?

Crosby barrels into Niskanen after falling off balance, and somehow Niskanen targets him?  Come on.  Give Ovi 2 for the slash to the arm, but Niskanen got screwed.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/02/17 at 07:33 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

The Capitals are geniuses. What a great way to cover up intent to injure, combine two pedestrian plays into a Rube Goldberg-like injury machine.

Even Crosby wasn’t as smart when he literally slashed off a guy’s fingertip earlier this season.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/02/17 at 07:43 AM ET

Anyone who looks at the replays and blames Niskanen is just being an *#$%@&.

I and I don’t follow Rossi so I don’t know if it’s common knowledge or not, but is he always such a passive aggressive little bag of shit?

If you want to say something to Trotz then sack up and say it instead of “innocently” asking questions.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/17 at 07:50 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Maybe, for perspective, we should rewind Crosby’s response when asked about his slash that cut off Methot’s finger tip: (I paraphrase): it’s hockey.  stuff like that happens.  it definitely doesn’t feel good when it happens.

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/02/17 at 07:52 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

but is he always such a passive aggressive little bag of shit?

Apparently he’s a known dirt bag

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/02/17 at 07:53 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Niskanen is standing there, watching the puck, and gets his arms up to avoid being bowled over by a sprawling Sid. I mean, he’s in front of the net, so standing there is not some sort of crime.

My advice to everyone who thinks Niskanen had some intent to injure: STOP WATCHING IT IN SLOW MOTION.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 08:08 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

If you truly can’t see that then you’re either blind or willfully ignorant

I always enjoy the,  “if you don’t agree with me, you’re either this or that”. Like trying to bully someone into agreeing with you.

Maybe try watching the game in real time and considering how ANYONE would instinctively know you pull their arms back in less than a quarter second. Better yet, not watching it but speaking from experience - no player… no, no person can retract a hit without more time.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/02/17 at 08:17 AM ET

MNWing's avatar

And you’ve obviously never played hockey.

This. Exactly this. If you’ve ever played the game at a faster level, you know this happens. A lot. Hell, I got a cross checking penalty in a beer league this year for something similar.  Suddenly a 200 pound fast moving human is coming at you. What do you do? Put your hands up to protect yourself…its instinct. In this case you’re holding a stick, and Crosby is falling so his head is low…bad circumstance. Bad result. Niskanen missed the rest of the game. That should be his punishment.

As far as the slash, convenient short term memory for Rossi seems to forget that Crosby slashed Methot and removed his damn finger about a month ago. If it was a hockey play when Sid did it, Ovechkin’s wasn’t worse at all. Penalty, probably, suspend-able play, no chance.

The conspiracy theorists on both sides need to take a breath and think this through. Just because he’s the best player in the game doesn’t mean this was some sort of malicious hit a la Bobby Clarke’s slash in 72.

Posted by MNWing on 05/02/17 at 08:19 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

So was Rossi showing the same outrage when Crosby was spearing people in the nads and slashing finger tips off just a few weeks ago?

Ovi’s slash happens a hundred times a game.  That’s the excuse a few weeks ago right?

And you can see that Niskanen is watching the puck the whole time.  Getting his hands up was reactionary and they just happen to connect with Crosby’s head at the same time.

Trotz and company are too professional to let anything Rossi said bother them.

C. A. P. S. Caps. Caps. Caps.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/02/17 at 08:20 AM ET

I didn’t mention anything about Ovechkin.

And you’ve obviously never played hockey.

Not that it’s at all relevant, but I have. If I hadn’t though I’d still have a pretty could notion that if I held my stick up with both hands and drove it into the side of another players’ head I could expect some repercussions.

Stating an obvious fact isn’t bullying in my estimation. Bullying might be…oh I don’t know…taking a stick and blasting you upside your skull.

This incident has nothing to do with some stick infraction that happened 2, 3, or 30 years ago which may or may not have involved Crosby. It does have something to do with the fact that many Wings’ fans still can’t get over the best hockey player in the world walking into the Joe for Game 7 of the 2009 Finals and walking out with the Cup.

Posted by godblender on 05/02/17 at 08:50 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Barry at Deadpsin had probably the most-reasonable, best take yet that I’ve to all this:

Stuff happens, and that it happens to #87 shouldn’t change everyone’s perception of that fact that sometimes… stuff happens.  Even to Crosby.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 09:08 AM ET

I can watch it in slow motion and pretty clearly see that Niskanen isn’t even looking at Crosby.  And at that point, the whole argument of intent falls apart.  Niskanen is watching the puck…. like he’s supposed to.  He’s playing hockey.

But that doesn’t fit the Burn The Witch narrative some want to push because someone dared lay hands on Our Lord and Savior Sidney, and it ended badly.

So telling these unreasonable types to stop watching it in slow-motion won’t change anything, because even in slow-motion the evidence is still that Niskanen wasn’t doing anything.  Those saying otherwise are simply applying what *they* want to the situation, regardless of any reality.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 08:53 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Trying To Make A Point Or Just Antagonizing?

by Paul on 05/02/17 at 02:48 AM ET

Antagonizing, its what this guy does, its his shtick to try to garner attention for himself, there have been a few occassions where he’s gone overboard against the Pens, again all for attention, and look what he’s getting, attention, it works in the 2017 world of social media.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/02/17 at 08:53 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The penalty warranted a high sticking penalty IMO for careless or incidental head contact, 5 was over the top, but understandable, this should not even be considered by the league office.

In the NHL game today, especially in the playoffs, especially in front of the net, cross checking is the primary point of most player on player contact.  Its not new but certainly more frequent, like 10 years ago, the game had more hooking and holding, now players just give quick cross checks. To be around the net, and to be faced with sudden contact, putting your stick up like that is reactionary, almost like a boxer putting his dukes over his face, when he gets within striking distance of his opponent. Crosby barreled over and fell as he was doing it, unfortunate incident, nothing more to see here, except that his name in Crosby, moving on….

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/02/17 at 09:01 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Word around the web this morning is no hearing for Niskanen.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 09:05 AM ET

Word around the web this morning is no hearing for Niskanen.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 10:05 AM ET

And there shouldn’t be. There should not have even been a game misconduct for him. This should have been at most a 4 minute penalty to Ovechkin for Slashing and Highsticking and that’s it.

Posted by George0211 on 05/02/17 at 09:08 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

unreasonable types

But i cant stand the fact that there are those types out there. Thus, the username. raspberry

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 09:12 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by godblender on 05/02/17 at 09:50 AM ET

Bad takes all around.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 09:13 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

And there certainly shouldn’t be. Niskanen really didn’t do anything wrong. It was the two-hander by ovechkin that started it all (and it appears to have hit Crosby in the head on replays).

I’d love for the league to have a call with ovechkin on this but it won’t happen. The larger problem of inconsistent officiating needs to be addressed first to correct these behaviors.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/02/17 at 09:13 AM ET

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/02/17 at 10:13 AM ET

A call with Ovechkin about what? About a slash that happens a 100 times a game?

Posted by George0211 on 05/02/17 at 09:17 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I had a local radio show dedicated to hockey a few years back. I had a handful of beat writers who graciously took their time, for free, to be on our show from time to time. They were informative and always great guests.

Having said that, Rob could be a prima donna at times, though he was nowhere near as bad as a Habs beat writer whose response to my inquiry if he would be on the show was “If you’re email doesn’t contain numbers, I’m not interested, contact me once you’re ready to talk compensation”.

Overall, Rob was a good guest. He was passionate about the game and the stories that surround it.

But no one beat Aaron Portzline of the Blue Jackets. That guy was on all the time, and gave us some wonderful info almost every time he was on. I remember one show in the fall of 2006, he was on when he got a text from someone in the BJ’s organization. During a commercial break he said the text informed him the Jackets would soon announce Ken Hitchcok would be their new head coach, and he asked if he could break the news on our show ....uh, YES!

LOL, that was our Warholian 15 minutes of fame.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 05/02/17 at 09:25 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/02/17 at 10:13 AM ET

Ovechkin getting a hearing for slashing would be the inconsistent point.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/02/17 at 09:26 AM ET

DocF's avatar

If the Pittsburgh player had been a 4th line wing, NOTHING would have been called as there was not anything by either Washington player that justified a penalty.  However, the victim was Cindy Crysby, the favorite butt buddy of the Evil Garden Gnome.  Anyone breathing garlic fumes on him will feel the wrath of the league in the form of penalties, suspensions and fines.

This Russo, Rossi, or whatever his name is has to be the bottom of the barrel in biased homer bloggers for the flighless birds.  What a putz.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 05/02/17 at 09:31 AM ET

There should not have even been a game misconduct for him.

That was the most interesting part, to me, because it clearly only happened because of the player lying on the ice (I’m not going to bother with whether or not it was because it was Crosby specifically…I don’t care).  It seems like it was going to be two minutes, which is fine by me because even though I don’t see even a little bit of intent, I can go along with the “gotta keep track of your stick” argument, but the game misconduct and even the major penalty, I’ve got an issue with that.

I don’t like the idea that a ref can assess a penalty and then afterwards get together the others and decide it has to be a harsher penalty.

Half honest, half rhetorical question: have the refs ever conferred together and come back to decide that there’s no penalty (I’m talking about after a ref has already escorted the player to the box, not when a ref puts up his arm and then calls it off after the whistle, which I’ve seen happen a couple times) or that instead of a major it’s a minor penalty?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a major turned into a minor or a misconduct erased in-game like that, so unless they’re downgrading penalties occasionally, I don’t think they should be allowed to upgrade a penalty.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/17 at 09:36 AM ET

Bullshit.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/17 at 09:36 AM ET

It’s playoff hockey. All sorts of stuff happens in or near the crease much of which could be called a penalty under the strict guidelines of the rules. Sure you could call either of these events penalties but to make them out to be predatory intentional plays to take down Crosby is just plain silly.

Posted by evileye on 05/02/17 at 09:41 AM ET

Apparently he’s a known dirt bag

Thanks for the link.

I guess this says it all:

“Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is a the sports writer version of a Matt Barnaby type of hockey player.”

And I love that the article being referenced (but, pointedly, not linked to) is from Mid-April of last year and it’s all doom and gloom about the Pens who, a couple months later, would be lifting the Cup.

Guy’s clearly got tons of insight.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/17 at 09:42 AM ET

Thag's avatar

Now THIS is a high hit with intent to injure:

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/02/17 at 10:06 AM ET

Now THIS is a high hit with intent to injure:

lol

I very much struggle to understand why Niskanen got thrown out, and I honestly think that’s the big problem with how this was handled.  It’s not his fault Crosby lost his balance and ran into him, nor was his hit a high one, nor was it premeditated, nor did he really even more at all to make it.

I think this probably sums it up:

Happy Gilmore‏ @_Happy_Gilmore 14h14 hours ago
BREAKING: Sidney Crosby’s injury has been diagnosed as a sprained vagina. Return doubtful.

Posted by neffernin on 05/02/17 at 10:21 AM ET

I think this probably sums it up:

Gotta be a little baby, huh?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/17 at 10:41 AM ET

Ataris18's avatar

The irony in this statement is amazing!

Posted by godblender on 05/02/17 at 09:50 AM ET

My take, and by all means i can’t wait for godblender to tell me how horrible i am, Nisk didnt expect crosby stumbling in, he gets his hands up to protect himself which causes the hit to head.  But look at how after the hit Nisk kinda tries to soften the fall with his arms on Crosby.  I don’t think he is meaning to after him and it was more of a reaction on the hit.  Does that mean its not a penalty, no but i do think if Crosby didn’t stay down and leave the game that Nisk gets 2 mins for the penalty (remember it was called that way to begin with).  This isnt a “Crosby” thing. The NHL has done this many times where if there seems to be an injury the punishment gets exponentially worse.  I don’t see either of the Caps getting a suspension for this (so that probably means they are banned for life based on my previous suspension thoughts).

Posted by Ataris18 from House on 05/02/17 at 10:45 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Now THIS is a high hit with intent to injure:

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/02/17 at 11:06 AM ET

I’m very serious when I say this.

If the league wanted to make a point to the NHLPA about safety… should/would they go about suspending Hornqvist, who was not in control of his body and therefore injured another player in the head?

I know the knee-jerk reaction is “LOL he’z on hiz own team”, but… I’m serious now… does that matter?  If you’re punishing the result, which is apparently some of what the league is doing now…*and* what the PA claims to want more of…. then maybe they should suspend Hornqvist?

Don’t laugh.  I’m not saying it’s not absurd on a level, but given the PA is essentially taking the NHL to task constantly, saying the league is not interested in safety, I genuinely wonder what the NHLPA would, or could, possibly do if the NHL did this.  The PA would obviously lose their crap over it, but…. they also couldn’t necessarily fight it without weakening their position that the NHL is the one to blame for not protecting players more.

It’ll never happen of course, but… it’s an interesting hyopthetical that would be a PR nightmare for the PA no matter what.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 10:45 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 11:45 AM ET

I mean, if Ristolainen is expected to change his path at a moment’s notice while he is skating backwards, why can’t Hornqvist change his path (and keep his elbow down) while going forwards?

Risto got a suspension because he is tall. Hornqvist here looks predatory.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 10:55 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Word around the web this morning is no hearing for Niskanen.

Oh I bet Mario(who has the midget on speed dial no doubt) has been working the phones in French & English pleading his case.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/02/17 at 11:41 AM ET