Time For The Chicago Blackhawks To Change Their Name And Logo

from David McGrath of the Chicago Tribune,

So if in 2021, in the middle of the season, or at the end of the playoffs, which the Blackhawks may still manage to squeeze into, would it be that big a deal if they shortened their name to simply the “Hawks”?

And if instead of the head of an Indian person with war paint and feathers, they changed the logo and mascot to that of a literal winged bird? Say, for instance, the red-tailed hawk, common in Illinois, which would then not necessitate changing the team’s colors.

It’s an opportune time to do so, since the U.S. Senate has just confirmed Deb Haaland as secretary of the Interior, the first Native American in history to hold a cabinet post.

And after decades of protests and complaints about the stereotyping and dehumanizing that results from sports teams’ use of logos, mascots and names based on Native Americans, hundreds of high schools, colleges and pro teams have eliminated offensive monikers.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TeamDub's avatar

Good grief.

Just… no.

What a waste of electrons.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/16/21 at 03:26 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Good grief.

Just… no.

What a waste of electrons.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/16/21 at 03:26 PM ET

Matter is neither created nor destroyed. The electrons aren’t being wasted, just your consumption of electricity.

Posted by d ca on 04/16/21 at 03:33 PM ET

I can almost guarantee that the Chippewa Nation will fight these egregious government overlords to keep their name on Central Michigan’s sports teams.  I’ve never seen a more symbiotic relationship quite like CMU and the Chippewa Nation.  Those guys are proud to have their name on a terrific University (yes, I’m biased because my mom has nothing but great, great love for CMU and it shows).

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 04/16/21 at 03:39 PM ET

Just… no.

I love the justification provided here. Quality content.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/16/21 at 04:04 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I like the suggestion but yawn. Tired of this stuff. Everything is offensive if you look for offense.

You simply can’t win with identity politics.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/16/21 at 04:07 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Tired of this stuff. Everything is offensive if you look for offense.

It just never ends. angry  They need to spend their time on something worthwhile. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 04/16/21 at 04:11 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I love the justification provided here. Quality content.

Are you so smooth-brained that I need to expound on the idiocy of never-ending aggrieved “wokeness?”

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/16/21 at 04:15 PM ET

Look at you busting out those big words on the internet. 5/5 stars. Would read again. Very entertaining.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/16/21 at 04:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Express your view if you wish, but going after a KK member just won’t cut it for me.

90% of the people who read these comments are not KK members but like to follow along, but the barbs being tossed is NOT what they or anyone else wants to read.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/21 at 04:30 PM ET

Lol.  This is what happens when you don’t learn your history and start being outraged.  Your ignorance bleeds through.  Maybe this will help the author;

“Major Frederic McLaughlin, founder of the franchise, named his team the “Blackhawks” after the US Army unit he served in during World War One, the 86th Infantry Division, also known as the Black Hawk Division. The unit was named after Black Hawk, the Sauk leader of the eponymous Black Hawk War of 1832.Apr 8, 2021”

Posted by ThatGuy on 04/16/21 at 04:31 PM ET

For anyone who didn’t read the article this is the only thing that actually matters:

“Most importantly, local Native organizations such as the American Indian Center of Chicago and the Chi-Nations Youth Council continue to call on the Blackhawks to end the stereotyping, along with the memorializing of white exploitation of Native Americans by the Blackhawks’ name and logo.”

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/16/21 at 04:38 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

How are they being exploited?

Using the name and logo does not cause actual harm. The actual harm came hundreds of years ago and definitely wasn’t caused by a hockey team using a name and logo in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/16/21 at 04:52 PM ET

What garbage-  it’s proud and beautiful

Posted by SevensForTed on 04/16/21 at 07:50 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Fer gawd sakes….

Sod off swampy!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 04/16/21 at 10:36 PM ET

dougie's avatar

A modest proposal. Just start naming EVERYTHING like the NYC public school system, numerically. Instead of PS 69, for the NHL, each team would be numbered according to when it entered the league. A lottery would be held to determine the team number, if multiple teams were added at the same time.

So, for example, the Red Wings would be NHL #(you do the math). I am pretty sure it was in the top 6.
Sounds exciting, no?

I did a quick search to see if there were any groups opposed to the use of base 10 mathematics, but couldn’t find any. But we WOULD have to form a vigilance task force to make sure that , for instance, the number 8 did not offend, let’s say,  Snowmen. Snowman was my nickname when I played golf, because I stopped counting strokes after 8 on each hole. And err’body knows an 8 looks like a snowman, eh?

Then we would have to decide if the offensiveness ended when the snowman melted, or if it’s individual water molecules would still have a grievance? Or, maybe even the individual hydrogen or oxygen atoms making up the molecules.

Sheesh…....

Posted by dougie on 04/17/21 at 08:04 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I understand a lot of you are sick of hearing about this kind of stuff and that the team’s name was to honor a specific person. That said, if people of the race the logo is based on feel that it is offensive, that is all that should matter.

I’m not a Blackhawks fan, but having lived in Chicago for 6 years, I accumulated some apparel. A couple of months ago we decided to take our son into his first snow after a storm. I happened to grab a Hawks beanie, and when I saw the logo on me in a picture, I felt a bit disgusted for the first time—wearing a cartoon interpretation of a race of people. I’ve decided to donate my Hawks apparel. For so long I wrote it off in a similar manner to you guys, but with all that has gone on in the world the last year, I finally got it.  The Blackhawks don’t need to change their name in my opinion. They should just switch to a bird logo.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 04/17/21 at 09:38 AM ET