The Unveiling Of Climate Pledge Arena In Seattle

from Matt Calkins of the Seattle Times,

It’s finally here.

After years of political tension and city-wide debates, after exploding budgets and construction delays, after a pandemic that did whatever it could to halt the opening — Climate Pledge Arena is ready.

No doubt that the birth of the NHL’s Kraken has energized and galvanized a sports-obsessed city that finally has a pro team to cheer for in the winter. But you have to think this town is equally stoked about the arrival of a state-of-the-art arena.

After all, many probably felt like this day would never come. They saw Chris Hansen’s Sodo project repeatedly torpedoed and figured a shiny new building was nothing more than a pipe dream.

But with the renovation of the old KeyArena, customers can expect an experience commensurate with a world-class venue. At least that’s what Oak View Group CEO Tim Leiweke is selling.

“This building is going to change the industry,” Leiweke said. “This could be one of the top two or three buildings in the world.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: seattle+kraken

Comments

dougie's avatar

“Climate Pledge Arena”??? Corporate virtue signaling at it’s finest! Kill it with fire.

Posted by dougie on 10/22/21 at 07:43 AM ET

Love starting my day out with a good laugh.

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/22/21 at 08:12 AM ET

I lived there for years, and I wouldn’t have ever described Seattle as ‘sports-obsessed’. Frankly, no one cared at all about hockey… and the Supersonics left without a lot of people ever noticing… Hopefully, the new Key Arena is better for viewing. The old arena was far from great… Hope for good things for the Kraken… Love the logo.

Posted by tbuhg on 10/22/21 at 09:19 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by tbuhg

I grew up in the Midewest (mostly Detroit and Chicago), and have lived on the West Coast for a couple of decades. Nobody out here is anywhere NEAR as sports obsessed. There are passionate fan bases, of course, but you just don’t see sports everywhere like you do there. But there are expats from MI everywhere, so it’s just a matter of finding them.

Posted by Steeb on 10/22/21 at 10:58 AM ET

We moved out here from Michigan 8 years ago. I live on the east side of Washington, and there is a definite hockey presence. (Michigan, Chicago, Boston and Minnesota stand alone in my mind relative to hockey) There are 4 WHL teams in the state, and one in Portland just across the Columbia. Spokane is the biggest hockey town by far- huge youth program and lots of ex-NHLers living in Spokane and
Coeur d’Alene. The Seahawks are very popular, but there’s not much buzz for the Mariners. We have a very solid youth program here with travel teams of all ages, and there is no shortage of tournaments. Lots of western Canadians are here.
We looked into buying tickets for the Wing’s game in March, but balked at $200 each, then reconsidered 2 days later but they were $400. I reallyreally hate going to Seattle anyhow, so I’d rather fly to the LCA to see them.

Posted by pnwwing on 10/22/21 at 11:37 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Inmates running the asylum.  smile

Posted by bigfrog on 10/22/21 at 01:48 PM ET

pnwwing

For sure… the other side of the state is better for hockey. I went to several WHL games, some with Seattle vs. Portland games, and some Seattle vs. Everett games, and was always shocked at the lack of fans… but, with more hockey fans moving to other areas, it seems like the time might be right…hopefully

Posted by tbuhg on 10/22/21 at 03:27 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The first time I saw that was the arenas name I actually Googled it because I didn’t believe it.

Shame on me, I should have known better.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/22/21 at 03:37 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I think it will be a very good hockey town, no NBA team there will help with less demand for pro sports and here’s hoping they develop a good rivalry with Vancouver and the Cali teams.

I too have feelings about the “Climate Change Arena” and will rerfrain from comment.

I would be happy to provide a full report on the new UBS Arena in Elmont on either NOV 20 or 21 (Not sure which game I will be getting to that weekend)  I hope to go for a tour soon to check out my seats.

The Key Bank Arena - which is how I will refer to it - is a rehab of an old building and I hear it will be just flat out awesome…..so hope I get to go to a game there next year (This year will be too expensive)

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 10/23/21 at 06:32 AM ET