The Latest On Gordie Howe And The Stem Cell Therapy

from Bradley J. Fikes of U-T SanDiego,

Hockey legend Gordie Howe is making a dramatic recovery from a serious stroke thanks to stem cell therapy developed by San Diego-based Stemedica, his family says. Some medical scientists aren't so sure, however.

Howe, 86, suffered the stroke in late October, leaving him unable to walk and disoriented. He began improving within hours after receiving the stem cells in early December, said Dr. Murray Howe, a radiologist and one of Howe’s sons. For example, Howe insisted on walking to the bathroom, which he previously could not do.

"If I did not witness my father's astonishing response, I would not have believed it myself," Murray Howe said by email Thursday. "Our father had one foot in the grave on December 1. He could not walk, and was barely able to talk or eat."

"Our father's progress continues," the email continued. "Today, Christmas, I spoke with him on FaceTime. I asked him what Santa brought him. He said 'A headache.' I told him I was flying down to see him in a week. He said, 'Thanks for the warning.'"

continued and a must read in my opinion...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: gordie+howe

Comments

Paul's avatar

After a few page views of the story, it turns into a paid subscription but I do believe you can make it through all six pages.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/26/14 at 08:01 AM ET

Alan's avatar

said Dr. Murray Howe, a radiologist and one of Howe’s sons

I thought the press release from a couple weeks ago said Dr. Howe was not any relation.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/26/14 at 11:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Alan, there are two Dr. Howe’s involved.  One is Murray, the youngest son of Gordie who works in Toledo and the other Dr. Howe works for the stem cell firm, no relation but has hockey in his background.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/26/14 at 11:39 AM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I am happy for the Howe’s and the apparent improvement their father had. Like any other single case, one cannot assume causation from the treatment he received and such stories are not a replacement for controlled research. Although this story appears to be a success, there are many people who travel to foreign locales to receive stem cell treatment that is totally ineffective and comes at a great cost to them and their families. Mr Hockey had the benefit of free treatment, most do not. Stories like this one will raise hopes for individuals with strokes, dementia, spinal cord injury, etc. and may or may not be effective, safe treatments. Let’s let the science play out and see what the data is.

Posted by PDXWing on 12/26/14 at 11:53 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Good post, PDXWing.

As someone that is peripherally involved with some very legitimate stem cell research and has seen the shucksters in the field, I agree that there are a number of troubling aspects to this story. Further, the commonly mentioned idea that the US government is preventing the use of life saving techniques in the US is a massive misconception, fueled by fraudsters and the average layperson’s confusion dating back to the Bush-era ban on federal funding for ES cell work.

But I digress. More on the issue relating to number 9 can be read on knoepfler’s stem cell blog (ipscell dot com) or on sciencebasedmedicine dot org.

Get well, Gordie.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 12/26/14 at 04:48 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Good post, PDXWing.

I agree. If Gordie can benefit from it, hopefully many others can in the future. surprised

Posted by bigfrog on 12/26/14 at 10:47 PM ET