The First Muslim Player Has Won The Stanley Cup

from Sony Sachdeva of Sportsnet,

For the first time in NHL history, a Muslim player had won the Stanley Cup, and would have his name etched upon it.

Back in the Kadris’ home province, it was a moment many a Muslim hockey lover will never forget. And one that required some agonizing moments endured before it arrived.

Omar Essawi, who’s part of the committee that runs the Muslim ball hockey league I-Slam Hockey out of North York, spent those final, tense moments of Game 6 with eyes flitting between the television and his phone, where his WhatsApp group chats were chiming away frenetically.

“Oh, man,” he says. “Whether it was the I-Slam [group chat] or another hockey group with some Muslims that I play with on the weekend, we were all just kind of anticipating, all just counting down the end of the game.”

It was the same story for Humaira Sedu, founder of Toronto’s Muslimah Athletic Club, an organization providing community for Muslim women who want to play the game. “I was counting down. I was like, ‘30 seconds, 20 seconds, 15,” she says. “My brother had just come home — he was walking in the door and I'm yelling at him, counting down the numbers, like, ‘They're doing it! They're doing it!’”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I miss the days when religion and hockey were separate topics.

Posted by pnwwing on 06/29/22 at 12:29 PM ET

This religion is a culture and it bodes well that diversity in winning is bringing in new fans.

I don’t see how this article could disappoint anyone?

Posted by ThatGuy on 06/29/22 at 12:59 PM ET

Chet's avatar

Remember when Dan Cleary became the first player from Newfoundland to win a Cup and the hockey media thought it was a worthwhile story? This seems about the same to me.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/29/22 at 01:02 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by Chet

It is, and that’s about how it’s being treated.

Posted by Steeb on 06/29/22 at 02:27 PM ET

I don’t recall the undercurrent of racism in Newfoundland, but that’s probably just me.

Posted by pnwwing on 06/29/22 at 03:41 PM ET

Chet's avatar

What are you talking about?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/29/22 at 05:33 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I don’t care who or what he worships….don’t care who or what he sleeps with…he’s still a giant jackhole and a goon and while I am happy for the best team winning, celebrating this reprobate isn’t something I am going to stoop to out of some sense of civic equality. He’s garbage, regardless of his faith.

Posted by The Hurricane on 06/30/22 at 01:34 AM ET

It’s news because it shows the game spreading to cultures besides white guys.  I think it’s great, growing the family.  When my kids started playing minor hockey there were a lot of families who were new to the game.  The kids saw it on TV and talked about it with their friends and wanted to play so you had recently arrived Chinese, Pakistani, Indian, Caribbean, Korean… families in the dressing room trying to figure out how to dress the kids.  Those who had experience helped them out and a lot of those kids played for years and had a great time.  Now their kids will play and so on.  So yeah, it’s notable.

Posted by dwgs on 06/30/22 at 08:48 AM ET