The Evgeni Malkin Hit On Blake Wheeler

from Bob McKenzie of TSN,

For what it’s worth, and it’s not much, I didn't like the Malkin hit on Wheeler. I like to think I like hitting in hockey as much as anyone, but Malkin's hit struck me as unnecessary. The puck was gone. Outside of fulfilling the time-worn “finish your check” mantra or protecting the sky-is-falling chorus of “there's going to be no hitting in the game,” I'm not sure what purpose Malkin's hit served, especially weighed against the contact to Wheeler's head.

But I have also come to realize everyone's threshold for this type of hit is different, and if the GMs on opposite sides of the debate haven't figured it out yet, I don't like our chances for resolving it here today.

I get that Jets fans are angry, and I wouldn't want to be dismissive of them, though let's be honest: How many of them would be outraged if it had been Wheeler who hit Malkin in that fashion?

much more and also discussed the Trouba hit on Stone...

Watch the Malkin hit below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Winnipeg Jets, NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: blake+wheeler, evgeni+malkin

Comments

Malkin ought to be suspended. At least 3 games. All head. Bad hit.

Posted by teldar on 02/20/17 at 03:01 PM ET

After looking back, Malkin got 2 minutes, no further discipline. Not a surprise.

Posted by teldar on 02/20/17 at 03:06 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Not too many, but fans of specific teams are often times homers (ah-hem, see screen name), so who cares what they think or penguins fans think?

The logical and unbiased thing to do is to take the team name out of it and make the determination. That is what the league is for - to legislate fairly.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/20/17 at 03:06 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I meant that most team-specific fans are homers. In case that wasn’t clear.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/20/17 at 03:07 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

This isn’t the pair of whiny dbags your looking for…...Move along…. sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/20/17 at 03:09 PM ET

Funny how in explaining why Malkin’s hit didn’t rise to supplementary discipline McKenzie’s points pretty much mirror the hit Kronner got suspended for game 7 in 2015, minus of course the fact that the guy Kronwall hit had the puck as opposed to the guy Malkin hit.  So the NHL had no problem suspending in the playoffs for a hit to the head when through the body contact was made, but now they feel they shouldn’t suspend unless its only contact with the head?  Kronwall wasn’t called for charging, the DoPS decided afterwards it was.  They couldn’t do the same with Malkin?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/20/17 at 03:41 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I commented when I first saw this that it was a ‘head shot’ worthy of further review and discipline; but the “safety department” said nnnNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (by remaining silent)

... shows what I know

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/20/17 at 03:43 PM ET

I would say Malkin has a history of some questionable hits. I don’t know what his suspension history is. I thought this would look pretty cut and dry as far as supplemental discipline for a head shot. Feel exactly the easy you do, stonehands. Player doesn’t have the puck, is hit with the primary point of contact being the head. I think the DoPs is inconsistent. At best.

Posted by teldar on 02/20/17 at 04:01 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The difference is,if Wheeler makes that hit on Malkin he gets suspended and Pens fans are upset with the hit. If he does not get suspended,pens fans are Outraged.

Malkin gets away with it because he’s a superstar. He’s made hits like this before with no supplemental discipline.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/20/17 at 04:17 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

If thats anyone else, theyre suspended.  Enjoy your lawsuit NHL, this is why you deserve it.

And not to be picky, but its Blake Wheeler.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/20/17 at 04:51 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks Hoot, no idea why I typed Mark, fixed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/20/17 at 04:52 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

That is true, but he is also a Pengoon who can do no wrong. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 02/20/17 at 10:02 PM ET

Malkin has repeatedly shown that when he gets frustrated he can get a bit out of control. Without having watched this game in its entirety I can’t say whether or not that was a factor.

To me it looks like he’s using his shoulder to contact the head and definitely leaves his feet in the process. Ad someone mentioned, you could compare this to the hit Kronwall made in the playoffs and got suspended with this one actually being a little worse.

He should get at least a game for this but I fully expect he’ll get nothing.

It seems like neither the players or the league really care about player safety or there would definitely be more suspensions/discipline. Hits to the head, nasty boarding hits and knee to knee/slew foot happen way too much. While they are slimming down goalie pads they really should be getting rid of those clamshell shoulder and elbow pads too.

Posted by evileye on 02/21/17 at 09:20 AM ET