Statements From Marian Hossa, Stan Bowman And Chicago Team Physician

via the Chicago Blackhawks,

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa:

Over the course of the last few years, under the supervision of the Blackhawks medical staff, I have been privately undergoing treatment for a progressive skin disorder and the side effects of the medications involved to treat the disorder. Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18 season. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice.

The Chicago Blackhawks organization, including Rocky Wirtz, John McDonough and Stan Bowman, and my agent, Ritch Winter, have been very supportive throughout this entire process. I would also like to thank my teammates and the amazing Blackhawks fans for their understanding. With respect to the privacy of my family, I will not be commenting any further on my health.

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks Senior Vice President and General Manager Stan Bowman:

The Chicago Blackhawks are in full support of Marian Hossa as he addresses his medical issues. This is extremely difficult for us because we all know the incredible person and player that Marian Hossa is - competitive, loyal and humble. He has played a major role in the success our franchise has experienced in recent years, which makes his departure from our lineup a significant loss. His teammates and coaches know he battled through some very tough physical difficulties but never complained or missed games despite the challenges he faced. The organization will continue to provide him every resource he needs to maintain his health.

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks Team Physician Dr. Michael Terry:

Marian has been dealing with the effects of a progressive skin disorder that is becoming more and more difficult to treat and control with conventional medications while he plays hockey. Because of the dramatic nature of the medications required and their decreasing effectiveness, we strongly support his decision not to play during the 2017-18 season. We feel in the most certain terms this is the appropriate approach for Marian in order to keep him functional and healthy in the short term and throughout his life.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marian+hossa

Comments

The condition is known as “salarycapitis”. Typical Blackhawks.

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/21/17 at 07:45 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Cap circumvention 101.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/21/17 at 08:11 AM ET

d ca's avatar

I think they misspelled the team physician’s name. The correct name is spelled:

Dr. Quackenstien

Posted by d ca on 06/21/17 at 08:21 AM ET

They’re not seriously going to get away with this are they?

Posted by Iamhaljordan on 06/21/17 at 08:30 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

People on the radio in Chicago this morning are like, “this is strange, but why would they even do this?”

Duh.  The cap.

It’s just such a joke.

I wouldn’t want to comment either.  Really not much room for elaborating on such an interesting and unique case, except for the fact that no one has ever heard of this in professional sports.

I never want to hear about players being sick or not being able to play, but this just reeks of funny business.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/21/17 at 08:33 AM ET

Sorry for everyone upset about this, but as one acclaimed once said….

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 06/21/17 at 08:34 AM ET

Acclaimed doctor…that is.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 06/21/17 at 08:35 AM ET

I was wondering how the Blackhawks were going to deal with Hossa’s contract over the next few seasons. Now we know.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think this is the first time a significant contract will go permanently LTIR (probably) that didn’t involve a concussion. It could open the flood gates to just about any player retiring early if they can come up with any medical reason.

You’d think the other team owners would have something setup to make sure the are simply cap circumvention injuries. We’ll see.

The player has to a willing participant. Can someone convince Ericsson his wrist just won’t let him play any more?

Don’t get me wrong. I like Hossa. I have fond memories of him in Atlanta and think he is one of the most underrated players of his generation. I don’t necessarily believe he is faking this situation and wish him all the best but the LTIR loophole needs some tweaking and monitoring..

Posted by evileye on 06/21/17 at 08:38 AM ET

I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT CHICAGO IS TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH SUCH BULLSHIT AS THIS!!!

Now where did that Datsyuk contract go? And when is Johan Franzen retiring.

Whiny, whiny, crybaby hypocrisy. Smells even better than napalm in the morning.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/21/17 at 08:39 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Chris Hine of the Chicago Tribune on what it means for the Blackhawks cap.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/21/17 at 08:48 AM ET

Posted by evileye on 06/21/17 at 09:38 AM ET

David Clarkson was back issues IIRC.

Posted by RyanVM on 06/21/17 at 08:56 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/21/17 at 09:39 AM ET

How many bad takes before I ignore someone on this website? Because this is an AWFUL take.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/21/17 at 09:12 AM ET

Watch them snatch up Oshie on another horrible contract, then bring Hossa back for the playoffs.  I applaud their craftiness, but its not right.

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/21/17 at 09:19 AM ET

d ca's avatar

Now where did that Datsyuk contract go? And when is Johan Franzen retiring.

Whiny, whiny, crybaby hypocrisy. Smells even better than napalm in the morning.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/21/17 at 09:39 AM ET

Datsyuk’s contract was traded (Phoenix ate the cap hit last season) and it cost the Wings the draft pick of Jakob Chychrun. Contrary to what you implied it didn’t go away.

Franzen’s LTIR is a concussion issue from getting hit in the back of the head while actually on the ice playing a game not from hooking up with a skank and getting a skin condition out of it or whatever it was….

The issue is this opens the floodgates….any of these back-loaded deals with potential recapture penalty can be negated with any medical excuse. If it stands then the Wings will have no problem getting rid of Z’s, Helm’s, and Kronwall’s last year(s) as they all have documented chronic nagging injuries too.

In short it makes the cap a joke. And I think 29 other GM’s are going to have their say to the commissioner because of it.

Posted by d ca on 06/21/17 at 09:20 AM ET

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/21/17 at 09:22 AM ET

d ca's avatar

^^
fair enough 30 GM’s

Posted by d ca on 06/21/17 at 09:40 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Typical Slackhawk Cap B.S. The NHL should have one of their doctors check Hossa. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 06/21/17 at 10:29 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

GarthDeeMacDennisandHowe, congratulations!

You’re the next contestant on “What Blowhard Do I Block This Week?”!!!

And look!  You’re the winner!  Probably the first time that’s statement’s been uttered to you.

Forevermore, you can be proud to have joined such illustrious company in the Hall of Lame.

Godspeed

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 06/21/17 at 10:35 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

GarthDeeMacDennisandHowe

Oh My Datsyuk…IT FITS

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/21/17 at 10:41 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I would like to know if the Red Wings doctors can verify that they knew of this issue. If it just started I would call BS on the Hawks but since its a hippa issue they wouldn’t need to even talk about it due to privacy.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/21/17 at 11:22 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Skin disorder? Don’t they have an ointment for that?

Posted by dougie on 06/21/17 at 11:27 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m not going to jump to the convenience of cap circumvention of it because I Am Not A Doctor.  It’s possible I guess his medication would cause him to fail any drug test or something, and it’s as simple as that.

I also am not convinced CHI won’t miss Hossa like crazy.

I’ll admit at the possibility of course.  But I’m not going to assume.

Posted by Primis on 06/21/17 at 11:35 AM ET

Thats a valid point.  The prospect of needing some sort of steroid treatment to manage a skin disorder is reasonable.

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/21/17 at 11:44 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Maybe wash the equipment?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/21/17 at 12:08 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Many skin problems-disorders are autoimmune diseases. Some medications have very bad side effects.  Even fatal. Requiring a blood test as often as the article states would lead me to believe me to believe that his meds are more than just steroids.  I know a couple of people that suffer from plaque psoriasis and it isn’t manageable with ointment,  but, many, newer, alternative meds pose awful side effects and are not worth the risk.

Good luck to Hossa. Too bad he has to go out this way.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 06/21/17 at 12:37 PM ET

Acclaimed doctor…that is.

Beat me to the Dr. Spaceman reference

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/21/17 at 12:38 PM ET

This is huge!  No way the NHL should allow them to get away with this.

I want to hear from a real doctor (not team related) that is willing to put his name on the line with this diagnosis.

When a player is hurt does insurance come into play?  I would think teams would have each player insured in case of injury.  If that is the case, did they submit this to the insurance company?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/21/17 at 12:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 06/21/17 at 01:37 PM ET

It’s amazing the number of certified, legal doctors we have in the comments here on KK, isn’t it?

With medical stuff… I’ve learned to not question unless I have all the facts.  We don’t know near enough about Hossa or his situation to immediately cry “CAP CIRCUMVENTION”.  And I know with skin issues, they can come just out of nowhere when there wasn’t ever a previous problem.  I’ve known a couple people with issues like you said, and even in just casual knowledge gained from them and their situations…. it’s hard telling.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/21/17 at 01:49 PM ET

He’s not hurt though, and I’m not sure insurance is applicable like that in this case (unless they could prove the skin condition was contracted through play or something oddly specific).  I don’t know if insurance can cover it like it was a broken bone or a concussion or something that resulted from form on-ice play.  That’s another layer of complexity to the whole thing.

Posted by Primis on 06/21/17 at 03:35 PM ET