Rest In Peace Clark Gillies

from the New York Islanders,

The New York Islanders are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of legendary power-forward and Hockey Hall of Fame member Clark Gillies.

"The entire Islanders community is devastated by the loss of Clark Gillies," Islanders President and General Manager Lou Lamoriello said. "He epitomized what it means to be a New York Islander. The pride he felt wearing the Islanders sweater on the ice was evident by his willingness to do anything to win. Off the ice, he was just as big of a presence, always taking the time to give back to the local community. The New York Islanders have four Stanley Cups because of the sacrifices he and the members of those dynasty teams made for the franchise. On behalf of the entire organization, we send our deepest condolences to the entire Gillies family."

Gillies, 67, a native of Moose Jaw, SK, was a member of the Islanders from 1974-75 through 1985-86. He was selected by the Islanders in the first round (4th overall) of the 1974 NHL Entry Draft. As a member of the Islanders, Gillies played in 872 games (fifth all-time in franchise history), scoring 304 goals (fourth all-time in franchise history) and 359 assists (fifth all-time in franchise history) for 663 points (fourth all-time in franchise history). He played in 159 playoff games for the Islanders, scoring 47 goals and 46 assists for 93 points. Gillies was one of 17 Islanders players that won four straight Stanley Cups Championships from 1980-1983. He also was a member of the group that set the NHL record of 19 straight playoff series wins, a mark that still stands today.

continued

I am saddended by this news, he was a true power forward.

added 11:24pm, How tough was Gilies?  Watch below.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

RIP Clark “ Jethro” Gillies.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/22/22 at 10:58 AM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I was at the game last night, and after the first period - I was approached by another “Coliseum Denizen” ( which I define as one of fellow 2000 people who showed up to Isles home games in 1999 on a frigid Tuesday night vs. Winnipeg ) and he had been told by a team insider that Clarkie passed away about an hour before the game.  I spent the entire 2nd and 3rd period at my seats ignoring the game and refreshing twitter every 2 seconds.  All unverified reports, so I was hoping some Ranger fan was passing along a bad rumor that my friend bought, but we found out as the game ended.  About 3/4 of the fans were whooping up a win in the concourse on the way out - about 1/4 like me were slumped over crying their eyes out.  I was with my 30 year old son and he too was upset but you could see my generation of fans being crushed by a gut punch they did not see coming.  We are all prepared for bad news on the gravely ill Mike Bossy, but the word of Clark being ill was concealed.  I last saw him in November.  Guys like him, Bob Nystrom, Eric Cairns, Arron Asham and a few others attend a bunch of the games as they live locally.  I am sure Detroit has this too…and just about everyone has a Clark story.

It’s very tough to take for me for a lot of reasons.  When people who are your age start passing away - it makes you wonder!  A leader of the greatest dynasty ( 19 consecutive playoff series wins) in the NHL - But his legend in the community is what is making me so sad.  He was part of the Long Island community and his charity has helped many efforts - most notably - a wing at Huntington Hospital.

I met his son in law (Justin Bourne) and Daughter Brianna at an Isles charity event and they were just so nice, just like their fathers.  ( Brianna Gillies and Justin Bourne - son of Clark Gillies and Bob Bourne)

I don’t know if they will do something before tonights game - but I will be watching at home.  I hope there is some sort of public memorial fans can attend.  It would be MOBBED.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 01/22/22 at 12:07 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 01/22/22 at 11:07 AM ET

I’ll tell you Kas, this is the team that sustained me and a huge group of Wings fans during the bad times. All the greats, the Boss, Trots, Potvin, Bourne, Suter, Morrow ,  Butch GorIng, Billy effing Smith Nystrom, heck Dave Lewis, and big Clark Gillies aka Jethro, all coached by the great Al Arbour. Those were the days. 4 Stanley Cups in a row and the Drive for Five. When my brother got married I gave him a Mike Bossy and Clark Gillies rookie card for his wedding gift. I was more prepared for news about Bossy. It’s a huge loss and a shock for fans of our generation. He was very young in my book.

My sincere condolences to the Gillies family and all Islander fans.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/22/22 at 02:27 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Tooooo young, Clarke was amazing on an amazing team.  Dynasty team.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/22/22 at 03:32 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

Hi Kate, Its like losing an extended family member.  Even Rangers fans liked him.  I would compare his fanbase and following to that of Rod Gilbert.  I used to work down the block from Rod in his post retirement career and would run into him at the coffee shop (Au Bon Pain?) once a month or so.  Like Clark, he just was larger than life and everyone was his friend.  I am sure Detroit alums are just like them.

You might enjoy the above video, it was from City University of NY TV, and was done I believe within the past year about Clark.

You just have to all agree that NHL Players are just so special and we are blessed to have known the ones we love - and I know that guys like Jethro and Rod and others love us back just the same.    This came out of left field.    The Blue and Orange Army fan group (Section 329) will be asking fans to stand and cheer for Clark during the 9th minute of tonight’s home game vs. the Leafs.  Listen for that.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 01/22/22 at 04:59 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks for the link, Kas. I did enjoy the video. $500.00 a month to play baseball! A 5 grand signing bonus. I was very touched when Clark talked about the HHOF and especially the Foundation. What a great guy.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/22/22 at 09:14 PM ET