Players Selected By The Seattle Kraken In The NHL Expansion Draft

SEATTLE (July 21, 2021) -- The Seattle Kraken, set to participate in their inaugural National Hockey League season in 2021-22, selected 30 players – one from each club with the exception of the Vegas Golden Knights – Wednesday in the 2021 NHL Expansion Draft presented by Upper Deck.

The Kraken's complete selections by position (and ordered alphabetically):

Jared McCann (TOR)
Tyler Pitlick (ARI)
John Quenneville (CHI)
Brandon Tanev (PIT)
Alexander True (SJS)
Carsen Twarynski (PHI)

The Kraken were required to select at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders. Their 30 selections, which include Stanley Cup champions from each of the past three seasons (Vince Dunn, 2018-19 with St. Louis; Yanni Gourde, 2019-20 and 2020-21 with Tampa Bay) have combined for the following in their NHL regular-season careers: 6,264 games, 960 goals, 1,560 assists, 2,520 points, a 2.50 goals-against average and .916 save percentage. Players from six different countries are represen

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: seattle+kraken

Comments

All righty, onto the July 23rd - 25th NHL Draft.

Make it a good one, Yzerman.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/21/21 at 10:02 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

As someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest and am excited to see the Kraken play, I’m underwhelmed.

The goalie picks are spot-on and the right move, though I would have picked Kahkonen over Soucy by a hair.  Makes me think they’ll acquire a UFA there.

Good to see 11D - that’s a good number to have.  Gets you trade collateral and enough depth to have a good starting line.  I think they actually did good there.

On the forward front, meh.  I guess we’ll see.  Maybe I’m missing something.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/21/21 at 11:02 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Also - based on their defensive depth, I’m betting they take a forward at #2.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/21/21 at 11:03 PM ET

d ca's avatar

...
...
On the forward front, meh.  I guess we’ll see.  Maybe I’m missing something.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/21/21 at 11:02 PM ET

Did you look at the Kraken’s cap hit? They only have 2 guys in their 30’s so they have almost every player still in their prime.

More importantly, they have $28M in space with only Vince Dunn’s contract to worry about. That means they should be active in free agency and weaponizing their cap for draft capital. Plus they should have a few trades like Vegas did to move some of their selections.

Then they have 47M in cap space the following year….

Cap space is very important and will become even greater as the flat cap causes issues to teams at the top.

Posted by d ca on 07/21/21 at 11:28 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit

I feel for you. I’ve honestly never even heard of nearly half of the guys the Kracken selected. The defense doesn’t look too bad, but with the forwards it seems like they’ve got three fourth lines and one first line.

I think Driedger’s going to be a very busy guy in net.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/21/21 at 11:38 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I did circle back and see the cap hit, d - you’re right there.  Hopefully they do something with it sooner than later.

Who knows, maybe they offer Ovi 15 mil for 2 years smile

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 01:29 AM ET

d ca's avatar

I did circle back…My guess is they pretty quickly decided against Tarasenko (wise, probably), Price (wise, honestly I like Driedger better) and went all-in for Landeskog and didn’t hit the mark.
Who knows, maybe they offer Ovi 15 mil for 2 years smile
Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/22/21 at 01:29 AM ET

Tarasenko, Seth Jones, Eichel, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Phil Kessel, Sean Monahan, and some player on Tampa (Tyler Johnson or Alex Killorn since Point is a RFA and they’re going to want to lock him up for 8 years) still should all be on the market…not all teams can take those cap hits though.

They could be the facilitator in a trade with any large cap hit and get at least a 2nd out of it by retaining salary. They may also want to acquire a player and not need any retained salary thus driving down the price.

I don’t think Ovie’s going anywhere…but Kuznetsov probably will….and Gabriel Landeskog not signing right away doesn’t necessarily mean they are out. He can still circle back to them if other team’s offers don’t make him sign immediately.

...but you are certainly right that other GM’s seemed to have learned their lesson and not given Seattle the same quick build as Vegas.

Posted by d ca on 07/22/21 at 06:25 AM ET

I’m surprised at some players like Domi that didn’t get selected.  What does that say about them.

Posted by SevensForTed on 07/22/21 at 08:01 AM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Selected a lot of guys that will be under team control for several years, some with good upside. Now they can splurge in FA the next couple years if they choose to

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/22/21 at 08:40 AM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Worst move they made was signing Oleksiak to a 5y 4.6m aav deal who’s never been more than a 5/6 (occasionally 4) dman in his career

Posted by SauceBoss on 07/22/21 at 08:47 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’ll be interesting because, they may have the cap space to sign some UFA’s, but as it stands this roster is probably very middle-of-the-road at best, which is not going to make it easy to convince guys to come to a new team.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/22/21 at 09:45 AM ET