Petr Mrazek Welcomed In Philly

from Dave Isaac of the Courier Post,

Petr Mrazek has been around the Flyers for a week and a half, still using a plain white helmet decorated with the remnants of the equipment room’s sticker drawer and he’s become one of the most important pieces of the team.

He’s already joking around with his new teammates and taking in post-practice ping-pong games as if he had been around all season. It’s been a trial by fire both on and off the ice.

“We have a really tight group,” defenseman Ivan Provorov said. “All the guys get along. There’s no bad guys on the team. I think we tried to make it, for Petr, as comfortable as he can be in the first couple days. I think the boys did a good job welcoming him and he’s done a good job himself coming in and playing great. At this time, it’s important that the guys are on the right page and have a good relationship with each other.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: petr+mrazek

Comments

alfrules's avatar

And people say he has a bad attitude
Well maybe the leaders of this team dont know how to lead

Posted by alfrules on 03/01/18 at 02:51 PM ET

And people say he has a bad attitude

Nobody was saying he had a bad attitude ten days after his first game with the Wings.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/01/18 at 03:04 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland was quoted last January insinuating that Mrazek had a poor attitude and work ethic.

Part of that may have come because Mrazek had serious competition pushing him for a No. 1 role in Jimmy Howard and call-up Jared Coreau.

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/01/18 at 03:08 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Hope Petr does well for his own career.  Seems to have had a pretty good start. Tats was his best friend and now he is gone.

It sure seems like the Flyers room is a better place for at least Petr.  The Wings room may have something going on but I have thought Howard wanted Petr gone. (just a hunch) The problem with that is Howard may only have a couple yrs left as a #1 Goalie, will injuries return, is Coreau a legit backup this yr? Who knows?

Howard will play out the regular season and Coreau will sit. KH again has babbled untruths, by saying he will be evaluating Coreau. It doesn’t take much to ruin the room.  I doubt Blash is part of it as he takes his marching orders from KH. If KH is staying he needs to be promoted up the food chain but he will continue to be involved in everyone’s responsibilities.

Bloated long term contracts that appear to be unmovable not just contract wise. The D is could be waived and how many would be picked up.Daley and Green have talent but not 1/2 talent.  Holland’s culture BS will be tested starting this summer with at least AA.

We will see how Petr makes out this yr with a hot Flyers team.  Next year, who knows.  Not only was Tats are really good teammate, Nyquist appears to be untradeable, I am not surprised!  Most of the contracts will force KH to eat some salary and all other GMs know it.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/01/18 at 03:12 PM ET

Maybe it’s my inherit bias, but if I am a Philly fan and I read that Mrazek has a problem with a little bit of competition from an AHL call up and average JImmy Howard…I’m not gonna be too positive about his long term prospects.[/quote}

That was total speculation on the part of the writer. We have no idea what caused the issues. Mrazek seems to be doing well with his new team so far. They seem to like him. Why can’t we just be happy for him?

Posted by Ilovekermit on 03/01/18 at 03:32 PM ET

And people say he has a bad attitude

Ha. Seriously.

I still don’t think he’ll turn out to be more than a reliable NHL backup but I hope that I’m wrong. Even the Philly crew were commenting on the fact that he’s allowed a lot of rebounds/2nd/3rd chances.

Posted by godblender on 03/01/18 at 04:14 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Why would you hope you’re wrong? Now that he’s off the Wings, I really hope you’re right.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 03/01/18 at 04:33 PM ET

KH again has babbled untruths, by saying he will be evaluating Coreau.

He loves to talk out of both sides of his mouth.

He wants to evaluate Coreau, but he also wants to make the playoffs so Howard is going to get the monster’s share of the starts.

He was thinking of the future when he traded Tatar, yet there hasn’t been a callup. But hey, at least Booth is getting more icetime now, going from 2 minutes in the previous two games up to four minutes last night.

That’s right, a rebuilding team has a roster spot being taken up by a 33-year old NHL washout playing under five minutes a night.

Can the GM and coach please be fired now?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/01/18 at 04:58 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

Can the GM and coach please be fired now?

I wish I had a time machine so I could fast forward to when they’re both gone.  This is painful.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 03/01/18 at 05:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/01/18 at 02:08 PM ET

He went to literally the worst organization a goalie can go to.  The chew up goalies and spit them out.

I don’t wish him ill or anything, but I do figure things will go sideways for him fairly quickly because, I mean… what goalies DIDN’T it go south for quickly in Philly?

Posted by Primis on 03/01/18 at 05:48 PM ET

This is me venting, but honestly: all the wise people who have done nothing but bag on Mrazek, based on one known minor incident from last season and HSJ’s steady drumbeat of ultra-biased innuendo against him, give it a rest.

All the know-it-alls who told us endlessly how he’d long ago peaked and crashed
and was never that good, that no one wanted him (thanks again HSJ), that he was an inconsistent backup at best, that he’d totally lost what game he had, that his game was fatally flawed, etc…show some effin’ humility and intellectual honesty and admit that:
since Mrazek has gotten a chance to play, in Detroit and now in Philly, all he has done is prove you wrong.

I loathe the name-calling and back and forth bickering that sometimes erupts on here, but you know who you are.

All the hyper-critics have done since Mrazek was actually given starts is keep moving the goalposts again and again and again to try and pretend that your complete dismissal of the guy earlier in the season was different than it really was. Or that, now, Mrazek will wash out sooner than later in Philly. You’ll be proven right one of these days.

Just admit that you were wrong and give the guy some credit. He’s been excellent for a good while now. Prior to that he was buried.

Sure, I’m mostly peeved that we traded the wrong goalie (much younger, still cheaper, higher upside, less injury prone). The only way we get any kind of halfway suitable return for him is if he proves all of his online critics - and the Wings front office - were way off the mark. Cold comfort that is.

Posted by Lefty30 on 03/02/18 at 01:23 AM ET

Well said lefty

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/02/18 at 01:33 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Well said lefty

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/02/18 at 12:33 AM ET

Very well written Lefty!!!

A big Petr fan in Saskatoon

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/02/18 at 01:51 AM ET

Excellent post Lefty.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 03/02/18 at 01:56 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

This over reaction brought to you by:

“Leave Petr alone!”

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/02/18 at 08:58 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

This over reaction brought to you by:

Some incoherent over the top wacko on you tube.  You can hug Howie or Jared??

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/02/18 at 03:45 PM ET