Paul Maurice Resigns In Winnipeg

added 1pm ET, Watch his press conference below.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Maurice tells the media players haven’t quit on him, but “they need a new voice.”

Plus he’s lost some passion for the game since the pandemic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/17/21 at 12:05 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I believe this makes Blashill the second longest serving coach behind Jon Cooper.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/17/21 at 12:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Sportsnet,

The 54-year-old, who has spent parts of 24 seasons as an NHL head coach with Hartford, Carolina, Toronto and Winnipeg, would be a strong candidate to take over behind the bench in any other organization that makes a coaching change. However, the sudden and shocking way he’s departing the Jets opens the question: Does he still want to pursue a coaching career in the league?

“I don’t know the answer to that,” Maurice said.

“You’re a performer just like the player and you have to be at your best, and I’m a pretty honest critique of my performance. Maybe sometimes a little too critical with it, but I’m honest about it with myself. And the only way I would step back again is if I felt I could be even better than I was before—and that’s not today.”

Assistant coach Dave Lowry will take over the head coaching job on an interim basis, which GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said Lowry would hold for at least the rest of this season.

“Going back to the bubble, to the lockout year, I didn’t enjoy it and that’s the very first time in my career I didn’t enjoy coming to the rink and I thought that maybe it was all of what was going on,” Maurice explained about his decision to step down. “And if you lose some of that passion for the game, the love of the game, you can still be good, but you can’t be as good as you should be or you could be, and that’s how I feel I am. So, this is where I’m at today.”

a bit more

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/17/21 at 01:16 PM ET

Just watched his presser…what a class act!!

Posted by Stump23 on 12/17/21 at 01:37 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Just watched his presser…what a class act!!

He sure is. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 12/17/21 at 01:48 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I wonder if the culture of the org there is not good. They’ve had a few good players want out despite the team continuing to be competitive. Now Maurice says he didn’t have the passion. That’s strange to hear at this level.

Kudos to him though for walking out when he wasn’t ready to do it anymore.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/17/21 at 03:38 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Jon Cooper’s winning so I understand his tenure. Maurice’s team was struggling (currently #9 in conference and out of the playoffs despite the roster including one of the best goalies) and a bad loss to Buffalo and rumors of Canada going back to no fans in the stands were the straws as he had another year on his contract at $3M a season. I look for him to take 6 months off and come back to another team.

Meanwhile, Blash and his 0-1 postseason record plus 3rd, 7th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 7th, and current 4th place in the division (though they have 4 games and only 1 point above Boston this year) still has a job. And the 1st round picks—well the only 2 are that are developing are the ones Blash has coached the least.

Posted by d ca on 12/17/21 at 05:26 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

If Paul Maurice decided to return to an NHL Coaching job - say next season - several teams will want him.

I remember when he got the job in Hartford when he was not even 30 years old!

If he is truly going out on his terms - then bravo for him and it’s up to the Jets players to prove Paul right!

Good presser! and we all wish Paul the best!

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 12/17/21 at 06:25 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/17/21 at 11:18 AM ET

Truly amazing when you think about it

Posted by exor54 on 12/17/21 at 07:45 PM ET

I wonder if one more mostly incidental insight was seeing
what a new coach can do in Vancouver. Maybe that came up.
I only saw the first half of the presser.

Winnipeg is an interesting team in that they have a great
top eight or nine forwards when healthy, their D is better,
the should have the goalie they need to contend (and Comrie - remember him?
- has finally gotten a real chance as a backup and done ok).

You wonder if it’s just one of those cores that’s good for a while but
never breaks through. I’ve read some comments here and there for a while
that Wheeler’s play has declined. He’s in his mid-30s now and has a bunch of assists but one goal. Who are their other leaders? Scheifele pulled a pretty selfish angry move that hurt his team last season and kind of whines about it.
When Laine was acquired by Columbus it was sort of speculated about whether he was the problem there or whether some of the leaders froze him out a bit.
The team could use a bit more bottom-three depth at forward and is missing maybe that classic number one D. But it mostly looks like a playoff-ready roster.

Sounds like Maurice was burned out by a lot of the off ice stuff, the bubble, etc.
But if he thought they could win a Cup within the window of his contract you’d think he’d stay. And clearly he doesn’t. At least with him in charge. He sees a team that should be good enough but is stuck. Enjoyed what I heard too. Thoughtful, well-spoken guy. Takes some self-knowledge and guts to make that move.
Interesting team to watch going forward.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/17/21 at 09:51 PM ET

Maurice is gold, suggest that SY put him on retainer, in an advisory role, like Scotty was in Chicago.

When he’s rested/recharged, (and SY has procured some D) bring him in to take the Wings to the promised land.

Posted by rickytarr on 12/18/21 at 04:40 PM ET