Osgood Ready To Play

from Gregg Krupa of the Detroit Free Press,

...as he heads into his 21st season as a pro, 14th in Detroit, Osgood is not only fully invested, he has no intention of doing anything but playing well and finishing his career with the Red Wings.

“You know, I never know from year to year, anymore,” Osgood said of a career he acknowledges is clearly easing into the last few—maybe several—seasons. “Every time I think I know what’s going on, it changes. Every year, it seems to be different now, than it used to be. It’s hard to predict anything. I just come in positive and thinking anything can happen—much more so, now, than when I was younger.”

The knowledge Howard is the top hammer in the net for the perennial Stanley Cup contenders is not lost on Osgood, one of three goaltenders in the long history of the franchise to be the playoff goalie for more than one Cup in Detroit (1998 and 2008). Terry Sawchuk won three (1952, 1954 and 1955) and Johnny Mowers two (1936 and 1937).

In fact, Osgood said he cannot help but cheer for Howard, whom he mentored throughout the 2009-10 season, as they both prepare for 2010-11.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: chris+osgood

Comments

Say what you will about the wizard, but the man never turned into a Legace.  I expect Ozzie to have a rebound season, as he has been doing it non-stop for pretty much the entirety of his career.  His only problem is he may not be able to show anyone that he’s turned it around, what with Howie running the show now.

Posted by Ha Hockey on 08/24/10 at 02:13 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

The Jimmy Howard jersey in my closet says that he’s happy Osgood is ready to play, he really is.  But it’s too bad it won’t be frequently.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 08/24/10 at 02:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Who knows.

Osgood wasn’t supposedly “ready” to play in 2008 according to many fans, and all he did was take over for an in-over-his-head Hasek and win a Cup.

I don’t rule out it happening again I guess.  We’ll see.  I’ll believe it when his play on the ice shows it.

Posted by Primis on 08/24/10 at 02:42 PM ET

I think that’s the problem; he’s maddeningly inconsistent.

He followed up the cup win with a somewhat mediocre 08-09 regular season and a lot of people didn’t think he shouldn’t have been the starter in the playoffs, and he proved us wrong.

Then he followed up a cup finals appearance by losing the starting job to the kid that many fans didn’t even want on the team.

Maybe it’s not inconsistency though, maybe he just doesn’t care about the regular season…

Posted by Garth on 08/24/10 at 02:52 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Bah, sometimes my fellow Wings fans make me sick.

Shut the fuch up about Ozzie. Dude’s got rings. We would have celebrated a lot less over the last decade if he weren’t between the pipes. The fact that fans would talk shit about a guy who’s given a lot of great years to the D at a measly cap hit is astounding.

I can understand a bit of bitching about the guy after a loss, or if he’s slow on the 5 hole. But in the middle of summer, after an article where he’s saying he’s rooting for Howard to do well, and it’s clear that he’s helped contribute to some of that rookie success - disgusting.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 08/24/10 at 03:34 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Though - to be clear, that had nothing to do with the above comments. Just general frustration

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 08/24/10 at 03:35 PM ET

Hard to believe he’s even coming on his 21st year of pro hockey.  Literally, we’ve watched him grow up in front of our eyes much like Stevie Y.

I think he’s going to have a good year for us.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/24/10 at 04:03 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by edillac from isolation on 08/24/10 at 04:07 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Ozzie will be better this year, if only because the team in front of him will actually be a deep, talented Red Wings team.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 08/24/10 at 04:09 PM ET

You’ve just given credibility to all of those who have said he’s only good because of the team that’s in front of him…

Posted by Garth on 08/24/10 at 05:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I think that’s the problem; he’s maddeningly inconsistent.

Posted by Garth on 08/24/10 at 12:52 PM ET

If he’s so maddeningly-inconsistent, how come everyone predicts a bad season?

If he’s inconsistent, then nobody knows… just sayin’.

Posted by Primis on 08/24/10 at 06:22 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I just want to say: I told you so.

Everyone thought I was crazy when I said Ozzy is going to come back with a new confidence and ready to play. I knew it. He had some time off to recover. Obviously ozzy couldnt psychologically get back to his normal self after his influenza. Im glad. I was extremely angry with chris from last year. I really felt let down.

Thanks god for jimmy. Imagine if Chris did what did last year, but imagine if Howard wasnt able to perform. If Howard didnt do good, we would have been screwed.

A goalie is very pertinent to a teams chemistry. It is very hard for a team to success and win when they dont trust the guy behind them. So when a goalie is struggling it has huge affects on a team. Think about it, you could have the best defensive team in the NHL but if your goalie is off his game, there is nothing you can do.

Either way it is important that ozzy has came out and made these statements saying he wants to play. Even if he wasnt ready, or he knew that he wasnt going to play, I feel they remarks by him will give a sense of control and certainty in the locker room. Knowing that your team has a great sophmore goaltender is good, but knowing that he has a backup veteran goalie is even better.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/24/10 at 07:11 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Even if ozzy doesnt does not become the starter or even if he does not plan on being the starter, these comments were great. Its better for the players and coaches knowing that were starting our sophmore sensations because we want to, not because we have to.

I just want to say, one more time, that I told you so.

Remember the article about “Is 101 too many?”

In that discussion, I said multiple times that ozzy is gonna want to come back and start in net. This is his last year and he is gonna fight for time. Just like Draper.

It is good to the all knowledgeable king blogger that I thought I was. Oh and when I wrote that Mrs. Illitch cares more about the wings than Mike. What do you think he is gonna do, you think one day he is just gonna call a press conference and say “Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I would love to have a world series win over another stanley cup”. No he wouldnt. So when you hear, or when someone tells you something like that, you might have to consider that its the truth. Does anyone here have a personal relationship with the Illitch’s? Does anyone here have an dialect with someone he knows? Do you think if I made up a lie it would be something as weird and uneventful as that statement. Like if I got anyone to believe me, would that benefit me in any way what so ever. So before, you take your little fingers and type “shenanigans” , think it through. For all you know I could be sitting next to marian right now.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/24/10 at 07:30 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/24/10 at 03:39 PM ET

That goes for osgood and the rest of the goalies in the NHL. It’s not like goalies are on the ice by themselves against the other teams. You have to factor in the teams defense to a certain extent. You could never prove how good a goalie really is and how much of that talent is based on his teams defense.

The goalies actions and play is a direct result of his teams actions. Every time a goalie is tested by a shot its a different scenario. A good defense might limit the scoring chances, a defense could affect where the shot is coming from. Everything a goal encounters is because of the defensive actions.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/24/10 at 07:37 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Folks need to do some stat tracking on second year goaltenders.  Look no further than Steve Mason for a recent example within the region.  I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this ends up being Ozzie’s famous final scene.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 08/24/10 at 11:34 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 08/24/10 at 09:34 PM ET

I agree that its too early to label Howard as a complete success. I have always said this about a rookie goaltender: If you have a rookie that competes at a high level, and he competes at that same high level the next year, no worse no better, than that goalie has made progress.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 12:50 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I’m not gonna lie, I was floored that your last post wasn’t a page long..

It was long, I just had three or four post rather than one.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 06:21 PM ET