Osgood News Comes Tomorrow

via Red Wings tweet,

The Red Wings have scheduled a media conference call with Chris Osgood and Ken Holland at noon tomorrow.

What do you think?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: chris+osgood

Comments

MarkK's avatar

Presser sounds like retirement.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 07/18/11 at 05:41 PM ET

Cap-friendly 12-year deal?

Posted by jd on 07/18/11 at 05:42 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

If it’s just a media conference call, he’s playing this year. If it’s an actual press conference, where Holland and Ozzie will both be there, he’s done.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 07/18/11 at 05:43 PM ET

justin13's avatar

Yeah, a conference call makes me think he’s playing. I’d expect his retirement to be announced in person.

Posted by justin13 from Boulder on 07/18/11 at 05:45 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Don’t forget Holland is on vacation in B.C..

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/11 at 05:46 PM ET

BrendonTO's avatar

You’d think with it being a call and not an actual presser that it’s basically guaranteed we don’t see a retirement.  Have to say I’m pretty happy about this if it’s true…as long as his health can hold up.

Posted by BrendonTO on 07/18/11 at 05:47 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Agree, I can’t see it being retirement. Even with Holland on vacation, I have to think as loyal as this organization is and as family-oriented as they are, he’d be on a plane for a presser announcing Ozzie’s retirement.

I agree with BrendonR, it’s good news, but only if Osgood is healthy. The Wings have to have a plan C in case Ozzie gets hurt again. Conklin has proven he can play 20 - 30 games and be very effective with the Wings… but Conklin deserves a job now, not half way through the season when Osgood’s hip implodes.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/18/11 at 05:52 PM ET

If it’s just a media conference call, he’s playing this year.
Yeah, a conference call makes me think he’s playing.

The fact that Ozzie’s going to be on the conference call (plus the fact that there’s an announcement of a conference call tomorrow instead of just a press release) makes me think (hope) that it’s not a re-signing.

I think if he was re-signing there would’ve been a press release as soon as Holland finished his talk with Osgood.  A simple “He’s assured us that he’s healthy and we’ve agreed on a contract” would suffice if he was coming back.

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 05:52 PM ET

But they’re both on vacation in the same place in BC.  Raffi was in Detroit when he had his presser, and the fact that Ozzie would prefer to play, I doubt he’d want to take a day and have to fly across the continent just for an emotional press conference he doesn’t, in his heart, want to have, and then have to fly back to BC.

He’s done.

If I keep saying it, it might come true…

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 05:55 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 04:52 PM ET

My first tought-reaction too.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/18/11 at 06:01 PM ET

I think to think he is re-signing because of it just being a media conference call, the same as Lidstrom.

Posted by Wingnut4life on 07/18/11 at 06:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Wizard of Oz is hanging up his hat. I wish it weren’t so, but the Wings can’t afford to go with Joey Mac as Howard’s backup, and I feel if Ozzie were to play, come February he’d have groin problems yet again. HHOF for sure, but still…no number retirement.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/18/11 at 06:14 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

He’s done.

Why would they call a press conference if they were just re-signing him?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/18/11 at 06:18 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Joey Mac is already in the fold as a “third” string call up from G.R. , so I really think Holland will let Ozzie come to camp and show he is fully healed. If, Ozzie can go, then he is Jimmy’s backup. If Ozzie can’t go, then Joey Mac starts as the season as backup and Kenny looks around to see what goalies are available as free agents or via a trade.

There is No Way Ozzie retires via a confrence call.

I really don’t see a problem with letting Ozzie come to camp and then make a decision. There are solid goalies available to be Jimmy’s backup.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/18/11 at 06:18 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Ahh, conference call, not press conference. Possibly not retirement, then.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/18/11 at 06:20 PM ET

If Osgood retires, his career will be celebrated and his accomplishments praised.

If Osgood re-signs, he will be lambasted as a mediocre at best goalie who is selfish and hurting the team.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 06:25 PM ET

Ahh, conference call, not press conference. Possibly not retirement, then.

Possibly, but to me the very fact that they’re announcing an announcement has to lean toward retirement.

How often does a team announce and announcement and it turns out to be a signing?

Look at recent history: when Lidstrom re-signed it was announced by a million people and confirmed by the Wings via press conference.

When Rafalski retired they announced a conference the following day and then he retired.

I seriously hope he’s retiring.

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 07:20 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

McCollum hurry up and improve!

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 07/18/11 at 07:40 PM ET