Osgood Injures His Groin

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood injured his groin early in today’s practice and went to the hospital for tests.

“Groin soreness and he’s being evaluated, so when I talk about groins normally that means day-to-day and then two weeks later we talk about it again,’’ coach Mike Babcock said. “And for a goalie, it usually means day-to-day and three weeks later we talk about it.’‘

continued including Howard and Ericsson are practicing…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: chris+osgood

Comments

I’ll just fetal here.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/01/10 at 02:44 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Sure, why not. Just when he’s getting his groove back.  Joey Mac is your starter.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/01/10 at 02:51 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Fuch you, Jobu.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/01/10 at 03:13 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Maltby, Draper, Ozzie.

I sense themes developing with the old guard in the 2010-11 season.  I’m very interested to see where the stories are on Draper and Ozzie this spring.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if their situations (like Maltby) are drastically different from where they were in the springs of 1995-2008 (sans Ozzie’s days away from Detroit).

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 11/01/10 at 04:20 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 11/01/10 at 03:20 PM ET

Agree. I think in general the “age” thing is so overblown and stupid. Old players have, do, and will continue to play great hockey in many cases.

But the thing about Draper in particular is the money he’s making. I could see the Wings bringing him back with a one year deal for the veteran’s minimum. But at that point, I would agree it will look a lot like Maltby this year—both parties may realize that Drapes has more value as a coach or player developer in some capacity. Maybe even working with the guys on skating, strength, and conditioning.

Specific to Ozzie, I don’t want to read too much into it. A groin injury for a goalie… big whoop. I mean, I’m sure he’ll be out a while, what I’m saying though is that in terms of an overall career perspective, I don’t think this means much.

Ozzie is definitely a backup now, and as long as he’s fine with that, he is probably worth keeping for another year, unless McCollum has a surprisingly great season in the AHL and looks like the real deal… even then, unless Jimmah really regresses, they’d rather keep McCollum playing every game in the AHL rather than riding the pine, as long as he has options.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/01/10 at 04:26 PM ET