Nothing Has Changed

from Stan Fischer of The Fischler Report at the Hockey News,

During lunch with Gary Bettman, I told him that I had a beef with the officiating.

The commissioner then reached into his vest pocket and pulled out an envelope with a letter inside.

"I'm going to read you the letter," the National Hockey League's boss said, "and I want you to guess who wrote it."

It was a tough read; flowing with zebra criticism and concluding with demands for reform.

"Now take a guess," Bettman confidently went on, "and guess who?"

Knowing my longtime buddy and his candor, I snapped, "It's gotta be Brian Burke."

The Commish shook his head and handed me the missive. Instantly, I blushed. It was written by Rangers manager-coach Lester Patrick in the year 1933.

"You see," noted The Lord of Hockey, "nothing has changed."

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

So the comish is proud that they haven’t managed to fix the problem in almost 90 years?  I guess it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Posted by dwgs on 12/07/21 at 09:21 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

How can you not tell if a letter is almost 100 years old?

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/07/21 at 10:02 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Dwgs, I think the point is that it very obviously has changed, but there will always be the same complaints regardless.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 12/07/21 at 10:26 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And now you know exactly why the NHL is in the state its in.  You have a commisioner who is more interested in finding excuses then answers to obvious issues.

As long as he can raise the value of the owners investment, there are no other issues of import to him, including the damage he is doing to the sport to raise those values.

Posted by Hootinani on 12/07/21 at 11:01 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by Hootinani

I’ve read that the gambling sites may be getting nervous about the shoddy officiating, bkz ppl don’t want to place bets on games that will be decided by the refs instead of the players. Threatening their cash stream is the ONLY way the owners and their lapdog Gary will ever pay attention to anything.

Posted by Steeb on 12/07/21 at 12:18 PM ET