NHL Announces 2010 Hall of Fame Inductees

The NHL has announced its Hall of Fame 2010 inductees.  They are: players Dino Ciccarelli, Cammi Granato, Angela James; builders Jimmy Devellano and Daryl “Doc” Seaman.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey

Comments

.....April fools????WTF???

Posted by Killerdg93 on 06/22/10 at 05:45 PM ET

This is one of those years where you would really like to see how the members of the Selection Committee voted, as well as see who actually even got nominated.

Posted by Matthew McCallum on 06/22/10 at 05:55 PM ET

mormerod19's avatar

Niewendyk and Burns are GLARING omisions

Posted by mormerod19 on 06/22/10 at 05:59 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I don’t mind seeing Dino & Jimmy D’s names on that list.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/22/10 at 06:08 PM ET

Not to take anything away from who’s on the list, the issue is who is absent from the list.  Nieuwendyk and Turgeon had amazing careers that saw them play in over 1250 games and each score over 500 goals.  What’s wrong with this picture?

Posted by ProjectMayhem on 06/22/10 at 07:37 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

I do agree that Nieuwendyk and Turgeon could have been included.
But on the basis of their 500+ goals and and 1200+ games, then there’s no reason why Ciccarelli should be scoffed at. As far as Jimmy D goes, he was arguably the single most influential person involved in rebuilding the Detroit franchise. He’s more than deserving.

Ciccarelli finished his career with 608 goals, 592 assists, and 1,195 points.
In 1232 NHL games, I’d say 1195 points isn’t that bad. Wings fans have been pushing for this guy to get in the Hall for a awhile, and it’s just now happening. Some used to say that Ciccarelli was the best player not in the HOF.

As always, there’s a lot of deserving players and staff that don’t get in the Hall, but that’s just how it is with such a small induction class. I’m sure Nieuwendyk will get his nod, he’s too good not to.

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 06/22/10 at 08:06 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

By the way ProjectMayhem, I know you weren’t trying to bash the names on the list. Your argument for the exclusions is valid, I’m just trying to give some brief justification to those that are questioning it.

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 06/22/10 at 08:08 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m fine with Nieuwendyk and Turgeon not making it yet (if at all).  It’s the Hall of Fame, not Hall of Very Good.

Joe still may make it, and I’d be ok with it, either way, but not goign to get bent out of shape because he didn’t get in this year.

Call me a jackass, but Pat Burns doens’t belong in there either.  He won only 1 Cup, was fired from two other gigs, and did not have true longevity as a coach.  I know he’s battling cancer, but that doesn’t mean he belongs…

Posted by Primis on 06/22/10 at 11:23 PM ET

I love the old joke, “What does Ciccarelli do after he scores a goal?”

He stands up.

He’s absolutely a worthy candidate.  Glad to see the voters notice his workman-like attitude.

Congrats to Dino.  I hope the voters include more like him…

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 06/23/10 at 01:21 AM ET

doozy104's avatar

Pat Burns not in the hall…guess 3 Jack Adams Awards, 501 regular season wins and 78 playoff wins don’t mean what it used too…....

Posted by doozy104 from Vancouver on 06/23/10 at 03:26 AM ET

edillac's avatar

Some used to say that Ciccarelli was the best player not in the HOF.

Pavel Bure is the best player not in the HOF

Posted by edillac from isolation on 06/23/10 at 05:24 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Only problem I have is Joe Nieuwendyk’s exclusion. He’s been a real good playoff performer and has three Cups to go along with his near PPG average in regular season play. Dino definitely belongs in the HOF, but he never won a Cup, and the numbers are pretty comparable between him and Nieuwendyk otherwise. Nieuwendyk also has a Calder and Conn Smythe.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/23/10 at 10:16 AM ET

Doug Gilmour is 7th all time in playoff scoring, and Joe Nieuwendyk has 3 cups and a Conn Smythe.  I could go on, but the voters completely botched this year as they have done many times in the past (Lafontaine, Federko, Langway, Peter statsny, Michel Goulet, Joe Mullen) Far more deserving players were passed over this year, the voters somehow managed to lose even more credibility this year.

Wayne Gretzky, 382