NHL Statement On Comments Made By Brendan Leipsic and Jack Rodewald

NEW YORK (May 6, 2020) – The National Hockey League today released the following statement regarding comments made by Washington Capitals forward Brendan Leipsic and Florida Panthers forward Jack Rodewald:

“The National Hockey League strongly condemns the misogynistic and reprehensible remarks made by players Brendan Leipsic and Jack Rodewald in a private group chat that has surfaced on social media. There is no place in our League for such statements, attitudes and behavior, no matter the forum. We will address this inexcusable conduct with the clubs and players involved.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Florida Panthers, Washington Capitals, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from CBC,

Washington Capitals forward Brendan Leipsic is apologizing after a private group chat that included misogynistic comments was leaked on Wednesday.

Screenshots from the chat featuring Leipsic, who is from Winnipeg, were published on the Instagram account @angelszeee2020. That account has since deleted them, but they continue to circulate on social media.

In a statement on Twitter, Leipsic said his friend’s account was hacked and acknowledged he was part of those conversations.

“I fully recognize how inappropriate and offensive these comments are and sincerely apologize to everyone for my actions. I am committed to learning from this and becoming a better person by taking time to determine how to move forward in an accountable, meaningful way. I am truly sorry,” Leipsic said.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/20 at 08:35 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Russian Machine Never Breaks,

Leipsic says hateful things towards specific women, including harsh descriptions of their appearance. Some of the screenshots were re-posted across Twitter. Leipsic called his linemates on the fourth line, Hathaway and Dowd, “losers.” He also said of Jake Virtanen and his friends, “Easily the worst crew in the world.”

more, including screenshots…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/20 at 08:41 PM ET

d ca's avatar

In case you didn’t see the whole thread he went after Madison Bowey (and Tom Wilson) too.

...when a comment about a player liking coke is 4th or 5th on the list of problems you know the players in real trouble.

One thing is for certain Vancouver’s Pearson is going to have his career PIM’s increased next time he plays one of these guys.

I don’t see how the teams don’t outright release these guys for cause thereby nullifying their contracts easily conduct detrimental to the team case under their morals clause.

...and the worst part of this is…you know it goes on in every locker room and every phone….maybe the NHL needs a big reset on the salary cap in order to root out this type of culture. More stories like this need to see the light of day.

Posted by d ca on 05/06/20 at 11:33 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

At first I assumed this was going to be overblown….nothing toooo serious.

I just read them and…wow.  It’s all just horrible, horrible stuff.  Screw that guy.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/07/20 at 01:14 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Wish I could say I am shocked, but, nothing surprises me anymore. Locker room talk, indeed…. Misogynistic pigs are everywhere….

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/07/20 at 01:35 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 05/07/20 at 01:14 PM ET

Who has a good link that has them all? Please share I’m only finding bits and piece.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/07/20 at 01:45 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The Washington Post today on the incident.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/07/20 at 01:50 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/07/20 at 01:45 PM ET

It’s kinda clunky but that’s everything I believe.  I couldn’t stop, but wish I had.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/07/20 at 02:55 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I will say, from personal experience…..

The first time I read through some of this stuff, I didn’t catch the coke references.  I was caught up in all the other BS.  But I know a guy, not a friend but someone I know and have hung out with enough.  He pretty much talks the exact same as Leipsic.  He also has some serious issues with cocaine.

So here I am, reading Leipsic’s comments and thinking - this all sounds too familiar.  Sure enough, I come across the coke stuff later.

That said, lots of layers to this, and so many different facets to how this needs to and should be handled.  Where do they start???  And that’s just one person…it’ll be interesting to see if the NHL even bothers to handle this or not, because anytime a substance issue comes up it just gets swept under the rug.  This might be too complicated to sweep up.

Imagine if this had come out during a playoff run.  We’d be in, what, the Conference finals around now?  Talk about a bit of a distraction.  I just wonder if the Caps can him.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/07/20 at 03:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ken Campbell of The Hockey News,

Probably one of the last things anyone is, or should be, concerned about at the moment are the hockey futures of Washington Capitals fourth-liner Brendan Leipsic and Florida Panthers prospect Jack Rodewald. Actually, the more pressing concern is that someone out there – namely Leipsic and Rodewald and perhaps others – could ever think it was acceptable to behave in such a misogynistic way, either privately or publicly. Then to portray yourself somehow as a victim in your apology? Man, that’s very difficult to swallow.

In any event, it’s difficult to fathom any circumstance under which Mssrs. Leipsic and Rodewald would ever skate on an NHL ice surface again. What they did was reprehensible in the extreme. To have them play for an NHL team would fly in the face of message of inclusion the league is trying to send. Normally, there would be a good case to void both Leipsic’s and Rodewald’s contracts, but in this instance the NHL actually catches a bit of a break here in that there basically are no contracts for the league to void. At least not contracts that extend into next season.

continued