New York Islanders Acquire Johnny Boychuk From Boston

added 2:29pm,

BOSTON, MA - Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today, Saturday, October 4, that the club has traded defenseman Johnny Boychuk to the New York Islanders in exchange for two second round draft picks (the Philadelphia Flyers second round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and the New York Islanders second round pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft) and a conditional third round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.

The Bruins would acquire the conditional 2015 third round pick from the Isles if New York trades Boychuk during the 2014-15 season to an Eastern Conference team. Chiarelli will be available to the media on Saturday, October 4 to discuss the transaction.

Boychuk has skated in 321 regular season NHL games -- four with Colorado and 317 with Boston – and has accrued 19 goals and 56 assists for 75 points with a combined +89 rating.  The defenseman appeared in 79 postseason contests with Boston, where he tallied 13 goals and 14 assists. During the Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup Championship run, Boychuk skated in all 25 games and notched three goals and six assists.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: johnny+boychuk

Comments

alwaysaurie's avatar

Finally!

I’ve been waiting and waiting to find out how Boston would get out of their cap mess.

Two 2nd’s and a 3rd, from the Islanders no less, is a pretty nice haul for Boychuk. The Bruins will be weaker without Boychuk this year, but… they had to do something.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 10/04/14 at 01:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

AS, plus Boychuk is UFA in July, Boston received a big return.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/04/14 at 01:59 PM ET

AS, plus Boychuk is UFA in July, Boston received a big return.

A huge return.  Makes you wonder what a team like the Penguins could get for a guy like Paul Martin.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/04/14 at 02:02 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

True. The Islanders seem to trade for future UFA’s assuming that they’ll have no trouble signing them… and then paying in draft picks accordingly.

Very weird.

I still think there’s a chance Buffalo has the McDavid pick because of them doing this precise same thing last year.

By-the-bye… if you want to abbreviate me it’s AA for “always-aurie” - which is a piss-poor internet name. I never pick a fake name wisely, it’s like I think it’s meaningless or something.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 10/04/14 at 02:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Got it AA.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/04/14 at 02:07 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Good return for Boychuk by the Bruins. But in the now this definitely makes them weaker on their blue line.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 10/04/14 at 02:24 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Islanders definitely paid a intra-conference premium for him.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/04/14 at 02:38 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Maybe capitalize the two A’s in your handle? AlwaysAurie? smile

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 10/04/14 at 02:41 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Maybe capitalize the two A’s in your handle? AlwaysAurie?

Posted by Jaromir Blogger

I am way too lazy to change… and I didn’t mind being called AS - just thought I’d mention that I have “#6” in the name.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 10/04/14 at 02:50 PM ET

Amazing how other teams get something for the excess players who no longer fit.  I wonder how that’s done?

Posted by bababooey on 10/04/14 at 03:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Fascinating condition on third-rounder included in Boychuk deal. The #bruins receive it if the #isles deal him within the East in 14/15.

-Chris Johnston tweet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/04/14 at 03:25 PM ET

I just wonder how much of Boychuk’s play is a product of being on the ice with Chara and Bergeron as 2 of his top 4 teammates last year.

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 10/04/14 at 08:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by alwaysaurie on 10/04/14 at 02:06 PM ET

A lot of us here have AA associated with who we are but it has nothing to do with our name. cheese

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 10/05/14 at 01:13 PM ET

Amazing how other teams get something for the excess players who no longer fit.

Amazing that other teams have too many decent players rather than an abundance of 7th defensemen and 13/14th forwards…

Posted by Garth on 10/06/14 at 11:11 PM ET