Morning Line- Stan Fischler, Larry Brooks And Kerry Fraser

If you missed the comments by Prust, watch below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brandon+prust

Comments

I get the fact that he’s emotional but poor judgment to make public comments of this nature.

Why?  Will his comments influence referees?  Shouldn’t they be impartial?

Posted by Garth on 05/04/15 at 09:23 AM ET

Why?  Will his comments influence referees?  Shouldn’t they be impartial?

Exactly,.  The refs in this league are trash.  They completely ruin the NHL.  I have no idea how a major league sport can employ such partial human beings.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/04/15 at 11:11 AM ET

calquake's avatar

KF a pompous ass.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/04/15 at 10:48 AM ET

That’s correct.  We of the Pompous Dicks band don’t even want to be associated with him. cheese

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 05/04/15 at 11:32 AM ET

Alan's avatar

It took real guts for Prust to make those remarks.

Maybe someday, the league will take off the rose-tinted glasses and start doing something about the officials. Probably around the same time pigs learn to fly,

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/04/15 at 12:25 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Unpopular thought: What kind of names was Prust calling Watson earlier in the game?  Earlier in the season?

Posted by TreKronor on 05/04/15 at 02:10 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Brandon Prust could be one of the dumbest people walking the earth right now.
I love his quote about Bettman’s salary during the last lockout:

I WONDER HOW MANY BLOCKED SHOTS, HITS, FIGHTS, STITCHES, BROKEN BONES, CONCUSSIONS, AND SURGERYS GARY HAS HAD?

How about you Brandon? Bettman (love him or hate him) was hired by the owners to run a sports league, not to be a middling, untalented 4th line scrub who’s only value is to take punches and pucks to the face.

How many degrees do you have? How many law firms have you worked in?
How long were you the assistant commissioner in the NBA?

*Sorry to bring up old news. That quote still irks me. And I’m by no means a Bettman apologist.
I just can’t believe someone would be so stupid as to question a commissioners salary.
Under Bettman, the NHL went a business that was taking a loss and only employed 1 secretary, and closed up shop between July 1st and September 1st, to a $4+ billion industry.

That quote is right up there with Scottie Upshalls Twitter pic of him drinking wine on his deck by the ocean in Miami during the lockout.
That photo was supposed to irk the owners and Bettman. All it did was piss off a lot of NHL fans who would love to make 10% of what they earn while playing a child’s game 9 months out of the year.

Posted by Hank1974 on 05/04/15 at 02:39 PM ET

Posted by Hank1974 on 05/04/15 at 03:39 PM ET

And that’s all great, and certainly worthy of praise.  Bettman has done a great deal of good for the league monetarily.  My question is always going to be, could someone else have done the same thing while not having all the labor strife and while actually fixing the problems with the game itself?

Even for all the Bettman bashing I’ve done, I appreciate what he’s done for the game financially.  I just feel there’s so much more he should have done and should be doing to fix the product on the ice.  To me he hasn’t been able to put the right people in the right positions with enough power to enact real, permanent change to the game itself.  Change that is sorely needed.

The NHL is more often than not reactive instead of proactive and that hurts the product.  There should be a group of people meeting regularly mapping out the future course of the product on the ice both in directions they want it to go, and directions they don’t to find possible problems before they happen.  Instead the NHL has a wait for something to happen approach that ends with “oh crap, we can’t have that….better do something about it”  And of course by do something about it, they mean have the GM’s discuss it in 6 months, finally decide on something a year after that, then try it out in the AHL the year after that.

Anyone with a whit of hockey knowledge can see that the product on the ice could and should be better than it is.  As long as that’s the case, I’m not giving Bettman a pass and will continue to freely bash him even though he has done some good.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/04/15 at 04:04 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Valek, I absolutely agree with you.
Trust me, there are so many things I dislike about the Bettman era.
The on-ice product is particular, and specifically, is the one area he has power to control and has failed to do so.
I could go on for days about what’s wrong with the game and what needs to be fixed.

I just thought it was funny that a guy with a grade 11 education is questioning Bettman’s worth based on the Commissioners inexperience with taking pucks to the grill.
During Bettman’s tenure, whether it was by his design or not, the league exploded financially.
So much so, that it allowed a 1-dimensional, stone-handed, caveman like Prust to become a millionaire.

But I completely agree with everything you said about Bettman.
In some ways I wonder if certain owners like Jim Jacobs have told him to keep his decision making away from the on-ice product.
Shanny started off with a major hammer and was on his way to cleaning the game up. But at some point, somebody got to him and told him that the game needs more shenanigans on the ice, not less.

Posted by Hank1974 on 05/04/15 at 05:14 PM ET