Marc-Andre Fleury Has Been The Difference Maker

from Bill West of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

Marc-Andre Fleury savored the sweat that ran down his face after Wednesday night's 3-2 win over Washington in Game 4 at PPG Paints Arena.

This time a season ago, his brow remained pretty dry as he watched Matt Murray propel the Penguins' Stanley Cup run. He became available in Game 3 of 2016's second-round series against the Capitals only to watch Murray put together a 47-save effort. Hopes of reclaiming the starting job looked pretty bleak after that.

At no point in this series or the previous one did Fleury present these playoffs as a redemption tour. His performance refuses to go by any other name, though. He finished with 36 saves in Game 4. He matched or exceeded 30 saves for the eighth time since the start of the playoffs.

Murray needed to stop 30-plus pucks just six times all of last postseason. But that was when the Penguins dictated terms with possession. Fleury has shined for a very different version of the team, one that arguably is far more reliant on the performance of its goaltender.

And that's still just fine by Fleury.

“I don't mind it,” he said. “I just go out and try to stop the next one. Sometimes I like to see more shots than others. I like the action. I like to contribute.

“I thought our guys did a good job of blocking them and letting me see the puck.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc-andre+fleury

Comments

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Without a doubt, Fleury > Holtby and its the difference in this series.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/04/17 at 07:48 AM ET

Most definitely.

Posted by George0211 on 05/04/17 at 07:50 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

One could reasonably ask ‘where is Holtby?’

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/04/17 at 08:48 AM ET

Comparisons and statistics aside, MAF has been a blast to watch.

Posted by Cubanpuckstoppr on 05/04/17 at 09:06 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Glad I picked a lot of Caps players in my fantasy pool ...again

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

Guess I’m insane.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 05/04/17 at 11:09 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Without a doubt, Fleury > Holtby and its the difference in this series.

Agreed. Never was impressed with Fleury before, but he is the difference in this series against Washington. Hopefully he returns to normal the next series. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 05/04/17 at 06:31 PM ET