It’s Win Or Go Golfing For The Tampa Bay Lightning

from John Romano of the Tampa Bay Times,

Hockey fans understand misery. In a twisted sort of way, they embrace it.

When you worship the Stanley Cup above all else, the pain and exasperation of falling short can be a trophy unto itself. You measure your devotion by the amount of angst you put in your coffee.

So, no, it will not be the end of the world if the Lightning fall short in Game 6 against Toronto tonight. Even great teams sometimes stumble on their way up the mountain to the top.

And yet, I can’t help feeling there is something uniquely disturbing about this moment. If things do not change in a hurry tonight, the Lightning will have bookended their two Stanley Cups with underwhelming first-round collapses.

Now, it’s unrealistic to expect the winning to continue forever, but it’s not unreasonable to hope a team keeps its foot on the gas until the very end. It’s the difference between disappointment and regret.

And right now, the Lightning would be facing a very long summer of regret.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

I think the Lightning show up big tonight to force a game 7.

In game 7 I just can’t imagine Toronto NOT collapsing, but at this point Tampa just has got to be tired.

If Tampa wins the series, they do not get past the first round.  Honestly, this Tampa/Toronto matchup has been pretty interesting.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/12/22 at 09:19 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Watching this series, vs. the others and looking at the rosters involved, I think the winner of this series is becomes the favorite to advance to the Cup Finals assuming no major injuries does it not?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/12/22 at 11:05 AM ET

If I was placing a bet it would definitely be on the Bolts in this series.

Posted by pnwwing on 05/12/22 at 11:16 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by pnwwing on 05/12/22 at 11:16 AM ET

Even if the Leafs come out blazing, I think Vaz is not going to lose tonight, Game 7 though in Toronto, I’m not so sure. Sergachev has looked like garbage, Point is hurt, and Kucherov hasn’t looked like himself either.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 05/12/22 at 12:22 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I would bet on the Bolts. It won’t be pretty - but they will find a way.  Either way - I hope it goes 7.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 05/12/22 at 03:40 PM ET