In-Game Betting Will Help The Bottom Line For The NHL

from Steve McAllister at the Toronto Star,

Imagine being able to bet a toonie or two on Connor McDavid, the NHL’s fastest man, going quicker than 45 kilometres an hour or finding an attractive longshot bet on an opponent hitting a higher speed than the Oilers captain.

Or finding the best odds for Auston Matthews to score on a power play in the second period.

Or even going into your group chat and challenging your buddies to lay down money on whether Matthews, Mitch Marner or John Tavares will log the most ice time against the Canadiens on a Saturday night in December.

It’s coming, although not as quickly as McDavid blazing a trail from blue-line to goal-line.

The legalization of single-event sports betting across Canada this summer means hockey fans will be able to legally bet on individual games this fall after being limited to parlay wagers for decades. It also opens the door to in-game betting that leagues such as the NHL and its broadcasters are banking on to attract more interest, viewers and money.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Steeb's avatar

So now they’re literally jamming a revenue stream into every conceivable aspect of the game. And we’re supposed to be glad about that. Right.

I guess if they don’t make it something I have to see or deal with, no big deal. But we all know that won’t be the case.

Posted by Steeb on 09/11/21 at 11:31 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/11/21 at 11:44 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Folks in my family are/were addicted to gambling, it saddens me to see the NHL pandering to an industry that preys on the weak.  For me it’s akin to seeing the Marlboro logo on a Wings jersey.  Now i love a good poker game or two, but imagine all the young people who will grow up watching the sport thinking sports betting is normalized.  It’s a shame.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/11/21 at 12:21 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Imagine watching a game because you just want to… Watch a game.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/21 at 01:40 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

If they can keep it out of the faces of people who don’t want it, I am
All for it. As fans, it is good for the league we enjoy to have an opportunity to bring in more money. I personally enjoy placing the occasional wager. I won’t for most games I watch, but it will be a fun way to watch a game between two teams that I’m not very passionate about.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 09/11/21 at 02:56 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I’ve said it before, but this is what happens when you go from being a gate-driven league, where you have to please the fans, to a corporate advertising driven league, where no amount of money will ever, ever be enough. And since there will undoubtedly be more revenue coming in from gambling than from the gate (I give it 3 years, but that’s probably optimistic), no amount of pushback from hockey fans will move the needle at all. And that leaves out all the kowtowing the league will do to make the gamblers happy.

Posted by Steeb on 09/11/21 at 03:07 PM ET

Crazily, I am finding it more and more refreshing watching old games from the original 6 on Youtube that include: All white boards with 0 adverts, nothing on the ice except the goal lines, blue lines, center line and face off dots, no helmets with ads, no virtual ads on the glass. Yeah—and no gambling to suck more money out of the innocent’s pockets. Ward Cornell and Howie Meeker and Don Cherry in between periods of HNIC.

I must be getting too old for what the game is becoming.

Posted by exor54 on 09/11/21 at 04:32 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Currently there are ads running that show a split screen of the commercial and a fake sporting event. They are trying to normalize this as an acceptable way to watch sports. Soon that will be the way it is more and more. The game will be live in the small box while the ads blare loudly in the big box.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 09/11/21 at 05:17 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I have a hard enough time watching Espn with the banner making the screen smaller and showing the same headlines every ten minutes. I have to buy a bigger TV just to watch hockey at “normal” size on espn

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/21 at 07:20 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I must be getting too old for what the game is becoming.

Posted by exor54 on 09/11/21 at 04:32 PM ET

You aren’t alone in feeling that, brother.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/11/21 at 11:18 PM ET