How Henrik Sedin won MVP and other revealing NHL Awards

From Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski:

C’mon, admit it: The messy, boozy, Vegas vibe of the 2010 NHL Awards was a vast improvement over recent unwatchable installments of the summertime time-waster, wasn’t it?

We’ll have Puck Daddy awards for the Awards on Thursday morning, but the focus now is on the winners with the hardware and the losers who have nothing but a Mark Messier Leadership Award next year to think about.

Coming up, the vote totals for all the major awards and the Lady Byng. Find out the margins on victory, the votes thrown away by media members to their friends, and how we probably cost Ryan Kesler(notes) the Selke.

Continue Reading:

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey

Comments

Leo_Racicot's avatar

The more I read stuff that comes from “Puck Daddy” the more this guy comes off as a friggin weasel who wants all of us to think that he is in the middle of some really important job that we are privileged to witness and learn from.

That show sucked.

The musical guests were awful and the host was the worst I’ve spent a collective 10 minutes observing.  The entire vibe of the evening was an obvious attempt at a product wanting to be something more than it really is, par for the course in the Bettman era.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/24/10 at 11:49 AM ET

Tony's avatar

I hear ya, but last night was better than previous awards nights in Toronto, where every single bit of the program was something Canadian being shoved down everyone’s throat (with all due respect to my Canadian brethren)....

It wasn’t great by any stretch, but it wasn’t bad either….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/24/10 at 11:52 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

They needed to do more taped bits like the Getzlaf/Ryan thing.  Aside from Dave Tippett’s joke about wanting to thank the ownership, but not knowing all 29 of them, that was the best part.

The scripted banter was painful at times and I simply don’t like Jay Mohr.  They could have cut out a few of the terrible jokes (or the useless interpretive dance) and let Ovechkin and Keith finish their acceptance speeches.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/24/10 at 12:10 PM ET

I’m with you, Tony.  The “all Canadian” show we used to get was borderline embarrassing and at times unwatchable (to this American, anyway).  I thought last night’s show was better than what we’ve had in the past.  Canadians may disagree, of course!

People have to remember that these shows—in fact, awards shows in general—are rarely that stellar, anyway.  Expectations are too high.  It’s never going to be an awesome evening of entertainment, but if it provides a few laughs (it did for me) and doesn’t drag on too long (it didn’t), that’s probably the best you can hope for.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 06/24/10 at 12:40 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

I completely agree with the points made by all of you cats, although seeing Sam Roberts during the 03 show was a personal music guest highlight… goes to show you can’t please everyone, I suppose.  But the Goo Goo Dolls? I digress.

The Ryan/Getzlaf skit was outstanding. I’m with you JJ, do a little more of that and grab a better host… the show should be in decent shape going forward.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/24/10 at 01:34 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Some writer (I wonder where he’s from wink ) actually put Ovechlin first on his ballot when voting for the Selke. Things that make you go hmm hmmm .

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/24/10 at 02:29 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

I love how one of the writers voted for Laraque for the lady byng, that was priceless

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/24/10 at 03:23 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Yeah, but he did it half -ass with a 5th place vote.
If your going to waste a 5th place vote then have enough balls to waste a 1st place vote and put him at the top of your ballot.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/24/10 at 09:23 PM ET