Henrik Lundqvist Announces His Retirement

added 9:22am,

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

RedMenace's avatar

Man, along with Pekka Rinne, two guys who definitely should have gone out with their names on Cups.

Posted by RedMenace from A Tormented Hellscape on 08/20/21 at 08:29 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Larry Brooks of the New York Post,

The King’s speech began just after 3 p.m. on Friday at Scandinavium Arena in Gothenburg, Sweden, or a little after 9 a.m. in New York.

“It’s the place where I watched my first real hockey game when I was 6 years old,” Henrik Lundqvist had told The Post before he made the trip to the rink. “That’s where I really started to watch hockey. That’s when my dream began that one day I would play there for Frolunda.”

That is where it began and that, on Friday, is where Lundqvist’s hockey career officially came to an end, the netminder romantically bookending it with the announcement that he is retiring at age 39 because of heart inflammation after 15 NHL seasons with the Rangers that followed four in the Swedish Elite League, as it was known then, with Frolunda.

“When [this] summer started, my plan was still to come back,” said Lundqvist, who signed with the Capitals in October of 2020 but did not play a game for them before undergoing open-heart surgery in early January. “I started working out again and was skating, but without any contact. But there were some setbacks. Too much exertion caused some chest pain.

“I was hoping I would be 100 percent by this time. But I was told that inflammation takes a long time to correct and with medication I might be out of the woods, but it could be another full year before I would be 100 percent.

“So I thought about this, talked with my closest friends, my family and my wife, Therese. This year was probably harder for her than for me. She is such a strong woman. It came down to how badly I wanted to push it, how much of a gamble did I want to take? And I came to the conclusion that there are too many unknowns and too much risk for not enough reward for me to keep playing.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/21 at 09:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

NEW YORK, August 20, 2021 – It is with mixed emotions that The New York Rangers offer our best wishes and heartfelt gratitude to Henrik Lundqvist on the announcement of his retirement. Henrik’s commitment to excellence made him one of the best goaltenders to ever play the game of hockey, and we are so fortunate to have witnessed his greatness firsthand for 15 years. As we congratulate Henrik on an extraordinary career and a lasting legacy of success, charity and character, we are honored to announce that we will retire his number and raise his jersey to the rafters at an upcoming game this season.

Henrik is, and always will be, a Ranger.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/21 at 09:53 AM ET

Posted by RedMenace from A Miserable Existence on 08/20/21 at 09:29 AM ET

Agree, RedM.  They both can still win a Cup as an executive or a scout, but it almost doesn’t feel the same as being a player.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/20/21 at 12:05 PM ET

Nothing but respect for the King.  Sad to see him go but happy to see him make the right call for his continued health.

Posted by dwgs on 08/20/21 at 12:10 PM ET