Happy Mother’s Day 2021

Who else but my Mother would wake up with me at 6:00am ro play catch with me on a warm summer morning?

Wo else but my Mom would take me to my first Wings game when I was six yeas old?

Who else would take my friends and me to a Saturday ladies day ball  game at Tiger Stadium?  My Mom knew a bargain too, 75 cents back then to watch the Bengals.

Who else would drive me to the local bars to collect their bottle caps from pop bottles?  My Mom did, probably a hundred times, just so we could turn those caps in for a baseball or football.

My Mom treated me with kid gloves but on a few occasions, boxing gloves came in handy for her too.

I miss my Mom daily so give your mom a hug and one from me too.

If you are a mom, come here, allow me to tell you how great you are.  This day is yours, but know you are special every day of the year.

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thank you, Paul for giving us a glimpse of your wonderful Mother.

My Mom died last November. It’s very hard to even believe it, still. My Mother was one of a kind like all of our Moms are. She raised four kids alone back when people would call the situation a, “ broken home”. Far from it. She gave me a love for music, art, nature, science, sports, politics, and, life. She taught me that kindness, forgiveness, and respect is how you treat everyone.

There wasn’t one building in Detroit that she didn’t know the entire history of. Including the architect. We went to Wings, and Tiger games. She made sure that I knew the term “right on” was a hockey term, not some new hippie saying.

She was with me for every moment of my life that mattered. I could talk to her 5 times a day, every day, and she’d always answer. She was the first person I have ever loved. She loved me from my first heart beat, and until her last breath. I miss her so much, and, I will always feel this way. We get only one Mother. Cherish her. Always tell her how much you love her.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/09/21 at 03:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Very moving Kate.  Memories are all we have, but most days those are enough.  Days like today are not.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/09/21 at 03:03 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Very nice, both of you. And as Kate said, all moms are unique.

My mom was as far from being sports oriented as you could get, although she did get a kick out of sipping the foam off my dad’s glass of beer before he settled in to watch a Tigers game.

But what I got from her changed my life in a profound way. Like your mom, Paul, mine knew a bargain when she saw one. And she was a master budgeter, sitting at the dining room table each week dealing out my dad’s pay envelope cash like a casino dealer. Every bill got paid first. The church got theirs next. And if there was ever any left over, it was put away for that proverbial “rainy days” (and there were many).

If I hadn’t learned those lessons from the time I was old enough to peer over the edge of the table, I would have been broke my entire life. “Live within your means,” she’d say. “Look for bargains, and never buy what you know you can’t afford.”

She’s been gone for nearly 20 years now, but she’s right there looking over my shoulder every time I get the urge to buy something that’s a little bit out of my “comfort zone.” So, thanks, mom. I appreciate everything I learned from you.

Oh, and for the record, even she would know Blashill needs to go.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/09/21 at 04:43 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I lost my Mother on 05/24/12. Saw her take her last breath. My Parents were super, and miss them daily. sick

Posted by bigfrog on 05/09/21 at 05:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Wonderful memories OTC, we live in our mother’s eyes.

bf, same with both of my parents, hospice at home, those people do God’s work.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/09/21 at 05:25 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

We had Henry Ford Hospice take care of my Mother at home Paul. My Wife and I watched her alternating with my Brother and Henry Ford on call. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 05/09/21 at 05:35 PM ET

So late, but Happy Mother’s Day to Moms, Stepmoms, Grandmothers, Great Grandmothers, and Moms-to-be.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/09/21 at 08:57 PM ET