Evening Line- Tom Dundon

The logical next step is ads on jerseys, which is something Dundon and other owners are hoping will happen sooner than later.

“Look, I’d be on the very, very extreme end,” Dundon said. “Like for me if we look like Formula 1 or NASCAR, that’d be fine with me. I think the league is constantly looking at how do they maintain tradition plus maximize revenue and figure out the balance? And I think they’re doing a good job of it. But yeah, if it were left to me, it would probably be a good subset of people that didn’t like what I did.”

Tom Dundon, owner of the Carolina Hurricanes.  Sean Shapiro of The Athletic has more (paid) on the Canes.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

The problem with rich guys like Dundon is that he doesn’t realize that almost all fans don’t give a you-know-what about him maximizing his revenue. Why? Because we know he’s already so rich that at this point it’s really just greed.

The problem is that some fans get suckered by the rhetoric of these guys and the infatuation that society has with rich people and making endless gobs of money that some start to forget the reality of the situation.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 07/01/21 at 05:28 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Slowly but surely under the bettman administration I, as a long time hockey fan, have been marginalized in sake of changes to the game to attract newer/younger fans and the constant drive for more revenue.

If, or more likely when, the time comes that the Winged Wheel sweater or Montreal’s or Toronto’s crest is obscured by nascar like ads, that will be the end of my love affair with hockey. I will simply cease to pay attention to the sport, just as I have to the other major sports.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/01/21 at 06:02 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Did this guy even grow up a hockey fan? Not likely as an older dude in Texas. G.T.F.O.

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/01/21 at 06:20 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

How about I refuse to do any business with any company that takes out such an ad on jerseys to keep it from happening.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/01/21 at 07:34 PM ET

This guy waltzes into the NHL and is so used to getting his way
he expects to bulldoze not just a hundred years of
tradition - but the actual culture and sense of community and belonging
that tie people together as Detroiters or expats - wherever we go.
Hockey’s a great sport but we grudgingly tolerate the rich guy endless greed
and ego stuff in order to hopefully have continuity in that team and instantly recognizable logo and better yet real success on the ice to bring us at worst
a harmless distraction and at best genuine childlike joy.

I’ve had a younger Black guy brand new to NYC approach me on the subway
seeking directions and maybe a friendly person behind the familiar logo from home
he saw me wearing: 10-15 conversation about both cities, the Wings, the Pistons,
where he’d moved in Brooklyn, what brought him there, etc - solely because of how uniting our cities’ teams can be. I’ve had three girlfriends with no background in Detroit or with hockey admit: yes (doofus) that’s a beautiful team logo.

Notice Dundon is pulling the typical negotiating tactic of proposing the most extreme possible version of something unpalatable so he can act like something not quite as ridiculous (at least to start with) is a totally reasonable compromise he’s willing to make. Also: the “what I want is inevitable, so might as well give it to me because I’m going to get it sooner or later”. Thanks for reminding me why I never went to see Carolina win a Cup with this guy as owner.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/01/21 at 09:20 PM ET

F dundon——go buy a soccer team a**hole

Posted by akwingsfan on 07/01/21 at 09:46 PM ET

I’m dying to know if Jeremy Jacobs would take out the Big Daddy Belt and lay a “stern warning” to Dundon.  If he can put Koules and Barrie in their place and eventually run them out of the ownership of the Bolts, unless Dundon’s got ways to make money for the don of NHL owners, I’m gonna be shock if he looks at Dundon’s antics like Michael looked at Vincent Corleone in Godfather 3:  amused, but useful.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/01/21 at 11:16 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

And here’s the reality, they don’t care about what you, the hard core fan, thinks, and when I say “they” I mean EVERYONE, the owners, the players who enjoy 50% of that revenue in their checks, the league staff, the hotdog guy at LCA, the entire apparatus.

I’m sure there will be some that kick and scream about it, some from a genuine place, others looking to flex their poetic journalism poetry and Instagram profile to fluff themselves amongst the ranks, but by and large, we will all be invited to politely walk out to a sunny beach, kneel down, and swing away at the soft hot sand beneath.

They know, and you know, not enough mass will stop watching to matter, and that faction that does, will eventually return, or just be washed away with the natural recycle of old fans going away, with new filler new fans joining.  I know, I know hard pill to swallow, but its true.

Look at the Football, if you asked 9 out of 10 hardcore football fans what they do and don’t want to see the league and its players doing, it would be most of what they have done in the last few years.  They are still the only game in town, and eventually we will tune right back in.

So this is going to happen, its not an IF its a WHEN, and if I’m in the “them” group, I’m saying the timing is right, with the re-opening of arenas and change in the national broadcasting rights.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 07/02/21 at 10:13 AM ET

Of course he also situated it as nothing any more unusual than
Nascar- big following in Hurricanes region if not a full overlap with
the research triangle managerial professional class fanbase.

I do think there’s an issue of “too crass, too fast” - of
risking the cheapening or denigration of logos and brands -
if only in terms of the most established and traditional franchises
having something unique to protect.

Then again, I didn’t expect to see green Yankees caps and Yankees caps
in Red Sox colors and you name it. But the uniforms themselves?
Anyone expect to see Yankee pinstripes with ads plastered everywhere?

I do think there is a chance for some gradual withdrawal of intensity of interest
and engagement. You add too much gambling, too much focus on real-time obsession with all manner of data, cameras all over players’ equipment..some of it will be fun and some of it will cause so much disorienting clutter and stimuli it’ll become too debased and draining to be enjoyable to follow. Some of that might be generational and more appealing to people who grow up bombarded with digital media from five directions at once. But it will change the experience of watching and the sport and the sense of what’s important about it in no small way.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/02/21 at 02:10 PM ET

Anyone expect to see Yankee pinstripes with ads plastered everywhere?

Wild to imagine the team that has a no facial hair policy wearing uniforms that look like a nascar. The times they are a changin’

Posted by MZ2215 on 07/02/21 at 02:47 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Greed is killing our world!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/02/21 at 06:15 PM ET

Will those advertisers be subsidizing the cost of jerseys to the jersey buying public. I know I won’t be paying through the nose to be a walking advertisement.

Helmet stickers and virtual ads have opened a door that can’t be shut. When was the last time the NHL turned down a revenue stream? They got more money from TV but obviously that wasn’t enough. They got money from gambling tie ins but that wasn’t enough. I’m still waiting to hear how much it will cost me to build a package where I can watch every Wings game no matter where I am next year.

Posted by evileye on 07/06/21 at 09:03 AM ET