Evening Line- Jonathan Toews

Yeah, if Hags (Brandon Hagel) is the guy to get traded, if he’s not a guy that’s a part of a rebuild, then I don’t know. I don’t know if anyone feels safe at this point, with the way he’s been playing and what he’s meant to our team. I had a hard time thinking in my mind that he would be one of the guys to get shipped off, considering what he brought in. Yeah, that was a tough one to see. I’m pretty shocked, for sure.

-Jonathan Toews, captain of the Chicago Blackhawks.  Mark Lazerus of The Athletic has more ($$$) from Toews.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

The new GM said he was going to keep Toews and Kane in the loop, but it doesn’t sound like they’re even in the same one - in fact at this point I’d say Toews is heading for the off ramp loop.

Posted by Moose Moss on 03/18/22 at 09:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Early this evening a Brian Lawton tweet,

In speaking with a few clubs clear they are watching Patrick Kane situation closely to see if the trade of Hagel changes the equation. If Kane goes expect DeBrincat to go or if DeBrincat goes expect Kane to follow! Things are getting interesting!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/18/22 at 09:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Waiting for DeBrincat to the Wings talk.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/18/22 at 09:40 PM ET

As someone pointed out, Hagel is actually the youngest
of the three players in the deal.

Maybe the other two can show more with greater opportunity
in Chicago. But they are realistically bottom-six guys to help
fill out the lineup and maybe Chicago hopes being in the Tampa
system and culture will rub off.

I’m not sure Toews has fully processed what “rebuild”
means. And I can kind of imagine being a proud leader and multiple Cup-winner
like him, going through these sort of bungled attempts to
cheat rebuilding and return to the playoffs, and maybe the message from
the new GM isn’t fully registering: they’re trading whoever has the highest value!
Hagel is young, cost-controlled and cheap, is score goals, and hits and hustles.
And yes, Chicago now feels they have to accumulate more high picks instead.
2023-4 firsts mean (hopefully) players of similar quality who are now 5-7 years younger than Hagel. Toews can’t even see the end of this rebuild from the top of the Sears Tower.

Imagine how Buffalo feels not even qualifying Hagel.
Also just noticed that all Chicago ultimately got for Henry Jokiharju
(who leads Buffalo in ice time most nights) was Alex Nylander, who never cracked the lineup and who was sent to Pittsburgh for Sam Lafferty - a fourth line energy guy with almost no offense.

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/19/22 at 12:36 AM ET

Towels is finally realizing what Shitcago is all about. Money.

There was never any loyalty to anyone there and they leveraged every NHL rule to the max and put guys on LT injury just to keep them off the books.

One year CHI tanks, gets a high pick and then the next year they’re back in the playoff race.

CHI management is pond scum.

Posted by retrospecd on 03/19/22 at 08:40 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

If I’m Chicago’s gm, I can’t not make that trade. Two first rounders sure looks like a serious overpayment for a guy on a hot streak. I believe I saw he’s scored 7 goals the last 10 games.

I don’t watch Chicago games anymore so I don’t know what he was like as a player for Tampa to give up two firsts.

I’m also surprised the captain is saying these sorts of things, like, have you looked at the standings? You realize the only west teams worse than you are Arizona and Seattle, right?

I guess when you’re young and you sign a long term contract with a team you are foolish, err, hopeful that your team will be a contender every year. They were lucky they had the run they had for 5 years or whatever, but it is over. Accept it or pack your bags and move on.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/19/22 at 11:00 AM ET