Evander Kane Suspended 21 Games

NEW YORK (Oct. 18, 2021) – The National Hockey League announced today that San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane has been suspended for 21 regular-season games, without pay, for an established violation of, and lack of compliance with, the NHL/NHLPA COVID-19 Protocol. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the forfeited pay goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Kane will not be eligible to play prior to San Jose’s game on Nov. 30 (at NJD).

The National Hockey League also announced today that its concurrent investigation into allegations of domestic abuse made against Kane by his estranged wife, Deanna, could not be substantiated.

There will be no further comment.

TORONTO (Oct. 18, 2021) – The National Hockey League Players’ Association is releasing the following statement at the request of Evander Kane:

“I would like to apologize to my teammates, the San Jose Sharks organization, and all Sharks fans for violating the NHL COVID protocols.  I made a mistake, one I sincerely regret and take responsibility for.  During my suspension, I will continue to participate in counseling to help me make better decisions in the future.  When my suspension is over, I plan to return to the ice with great effort, determination, and love for the game of hockey.”​

SAN JOSE, CA (Oct. 18, 2021) – The San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) today issued the following statement:

“The NHL has advised our organization that Evander Kane has been suspended without pay for 21 games for an established violation of, and lack of compliance with, the NHL/NHLPA COVID-19 Protocols.

While we are encouraged by Evander’s commitment to moving forward, we are extremely disappointed by his disregard for the health and safety protocols put in place by the NHL and the NHLPA.

We will not be commenting further on Evander’s status prior to the conclusion of the NHL’s mandated suspension.”

addeed 8;19pm, Below, watch Kevin Weekes on the suspension/

Kevin Weekes

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

He hasn’t got the shot so he must have missed a scheduled test for covid and then went to practice? Would be good to know how he violated the protocol.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/18/21 at 05:44 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

The rumor was a fake vax card. Emphasis on rumor.

And he’s now “not guilty” of gambling and domestic abuse. So his ex wife threw a bunch of shyt at the wall trying to ruin him. Gotta love due process.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/18/21 at 05:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added to the post- Kevin Weekes on the suspension.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/18/21 at 07:21 PM ET

I realize they don’t have to and likely won’t, but it would be nice if the NHL elaborated. If he had created/obtained/used a fake card wouldn’t that open him up to criminal liability? I wonder how SJ plays this, does it open a window that would allow them to terminate his contract? He’s listed as Non-Roster Suspended without pay on Capfriendly and his salary isn’t counting against their current cap number.

Posted by MZ2215 on 10/19/21 at 07:22 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

If he did use a fake card, I would also be very interested in how the league found out about it being fake.  Blank cards are out there, and anyone could fill one out; so is the league cross-checking some of these cards?

This guy is just so shifty; I can’t imagine anyone trusting anything he says or does at this point.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/19/21 at 08:53 AM ET

My money says (see what I did there) he either put a date before vaccinations were available or spelled pfizer/moderna/J&J wrong.

Posted by MZ2215 on 10/19/21 at 09:20 AM ET

Each injection has a lot number of the specific vaccination on it.  If suspect a card with the wrong number could easily be checked to see if the lot number was fake.  One troubled man is Kane.

Posted by MABO on 10/19/21 at 09:50 AM ET