Erik Karlsson On His Next NHL Contract

from Ken Warren at the Ottawa Sun,

Ottawa Senators captain Erik Karlsson made it clear Thursday that he won’t be taking any hometown discount simply to stay with the club beyond next season.

“When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going,” Karlsson said following the club’s practice here Thursday, as the Senators aim to end a seven-game losing streak Friday against the New York Islanders.

“That’s the business part of it. That’s the way every player has been treated ever since this league has started, and I think the players have been a little bit on the other side of things when it comes to negotiations. I think it’s time to realize that when we go to the table, it’s business on both parts, not just (owners).”

Karlsson has this season and next season remaining on his current six-year, $45.5-million contract, and is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2018-19 season.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: erik+karlsson

Comments

shazam88's avatar

Doughty, who is also eligible to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2017-18 season

had me scratching my head for a millisecond but that’s 2018-19

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 12/01/17 at 11:42 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

As good as Karlsson is he doesn’t deserve a max contract. His best years are more than likely behind him and any team willing to pay him a max contract will be regretting it by year 4 or 5

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 12/01/17 at 01:31 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

As good as Karlsson is he doesn’t deserve a max contract.

Agreed, but someone will absolutely give it to him.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/01/17 at 03:11 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Agreed, but someone will absolutely give it to him.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/01/17 at 02:11 PM ET

Yes Karlsson will have many teams willing to throw the Max $$ at him. One that might not, Goofy Melnyk

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/01/17 at 03:55 PM ET

This came across not only as an unusually blunt and confident statement (and approach to negotiating)
but also maybe as a shot at Melnyk - don’t try and nickle and dime me or think that I need you more than
you need me.