City of Glendale votes to terminate lease agreement with Coyotes; Yotes respond in kind

As such, from the Arizona Coyotes:

Coyotes Issue Statement Regarding City of Glendale's Arena Lease Decision

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, June 10, 2015

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- Arizona Coyotes Co-Owner, President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc issued the following statement following tonight’s Glendale City Council meeting.

"We are disappointed with the city's decision to violate its obligations under the agreement that was entered into and duly approved only two years ago. We will exhaust any and all legal remedies against the city of Glendale for this blatant violation of its contractual obligations to us."

And...

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: glendale, phoenix+coyotes

Comments

Aaaand here we go…

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/10/15 at 09:54 PM ET

Again. What a cluster fudge.

Posted by Robert on 06/10/15 at 10:02 PM ET

Riviera's avatar

Noooo! The Coyotes are my ticket to seeing the Wings once a year! Used to be twice a year :(

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 06/11/15 at 12:27 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Who didn’t see this coming? I mean, seriously.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/11/15 at 12:32 AM ET

Chet's avatar

the owners and the league just got a free out to move this team somewhere it won’t be a perennial loss leader. they should be loading the uhauls NOW.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/11/15 at 05:52 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Seattle Vegas Quebec hell KC couldn’t be worse.

yes a logistical nightmare but opportunities like this are rare.

the city where you’ve lost money for at least a decade, where ppl can’t even get to your arena, etc etc has let you out of your arena feel and invited you to leave? thanks, city council!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/11/15 at 05:56 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Rick Westhead of TSN,

During a special meeting convened Wednesday night that featured threats of a $200-million lawsuit and emotional fans wearing team jerseys, city councillors in Glendale, Arizona, voted to cancel the arena management contract that sees the city pay $15 million a year to the Arizona Coyotes.

The decision leaves the future of the struggling NHL team very much in question.

Without the revenue from the arena contract, a team that is already widely believed to lose more than $30 million a season will see its losses further widen. Speculation has already started about how soon it might be until the team leaves the Phoenix market.

In June of 2013, the NHL said went so far as to say the team might move to a different city in time for the 2013-14 season if Glendale did not approve the contract. Days later, council approved the $225 million contract that was cancelled on Wednesday night.

Coyotes majority owner Andrew Barroway was oddly nowhere to be seen during the meeting Wednesday. Part-owner Anthony LeBlanc and Coyotes lawyer Nick Wood both told city council the team would immediately begin legal proceedings.

Wood said the Coyotes will file a $200 million lawsuit.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/11/15 at 06:45 AM ET

jpellek's avatar

If the Coyotes are smart they need to call the Suns and work out a deal for the downtown arena. This is a chance to both get out of Glendale and taking them to the cleaners at the same time.

Posted by jpellek on 06/11/15 at 08:28 AM ET

Posted by jpellek on 06/11/15 at 09:28 AM ET

Probably the best case scenario right now.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/11/15 at 08:30 AM ET

awould's avatar

Yeah, would be a good interim solution until they left town for the 2016 season. If they were serious about staying, which I highly doubt they are, this would be the opportunity to relocate the team to the east side of town where the bulk of the population and most of the money are. But nobody is ever going to give city money to build an arena for a hockey team in Phoenix ever again, and hopefully for any sport team.

Posted by awould on 06/11/15 at 09:41 AM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Posted by awould on 06/11/15 at 10:41 AM ET

Exactly this. The west valley generally speaking is a lower-income area of town - and in an attempt to be politically correct - the more “ethnic” area of town as well…yes, people show up for the Cardinals, but that’s once a week and on a Sunday afternoon. Way different than 7pm on a Tuesday.

I work right outside downtown Phoenix, so leaving at 5pm right after work and fighting evening traffic heading to a game I still get to the arena at about 6:30pm, when in normal or light traffic I’d make it to the west side in about 20-25 minutes. I can’t imagine what it’s like trying to come from Scottsdale, Apache Junction, Gilbert, or even Queen Creek where most of the Coyotes fans reside.

I think a lot of the problems they have with fan attendance would be solved if they moved the team to a part of town that didn’t severely isolate their fan base. As has been said before, Tempe, downtown Phoenx, and Scottsdale are all very viable options if the politics and logistics could be worked out. Obviously that’s what would be holding it back from becoming reality…all the other TMR readers that live in Arizona are saying the same thing.

Arizona might not be a traditional hockey market, but the sport is a thousand times bigger and more popular here than it was before the Coyotes came here. Hell, I have been playing hockey for 16 of my 24 years and despite being a die hard Wings fan, I completely, totally, 100% owe the sport that has been my lifeblood to the existence of the Coyotes in Arizona. And I’m not the only one, as Elliotte Friedman pointed out in the other article when he mentioned our Bobcat’s peewee championship and our bantam and midget players getting drafted into the minors and pros.

I hope they stay, because of how instrumental they have been for developing the game here.

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 06/11/15 at 10:06 AM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 06/11/15 at 11:06 AM ET

I live in Gilbert now and only ever make it out to games when Detroit’s in town. I went to more games before my kids came along, but now I just don’t have the time. It’s 90 miles round-trip from my house. I get calls from the Coyotes ticket people a few times a year and I tell them the same thing, and they tell me it is the biggest hurdle for them to sell ticket packages to anyone on the east side.

Posted by awould on 06/11/15 at 11:07 AM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Awould, I totally feel you, coming from Gilbert has to be a nightmare. If I didn’t work where I do I probably wouldn’t make it to any games but the Wings either. I live in Ahwatukee so if I had to get to the games from home, trying to fight traffic on the I-10 the whole way there…forget it. I’d have to leave 2-3 hours before gametime to make it.

My company has had season tickets for years in the fourth row just over Mike Smith’s right shoulder, so they are really good seats. I don’t always get them though, so sometimes I have to buy my own if I really want to go. I actually have a former high school classmate that works in ticket sales and she says the same thing, that everyone’s main gripe is the lack of time and extensive travel. That would be solved if they moved to Phoenix or somewhere on the east side.

The Coyotes have fans, they have just been alienated by the team’s move to purgatory.

Posted by KelseyAnn from Ahwatukee, Arizona on 06/11/15 at 11:34 AM ET

awould's avatar

The team’s bad location, lackluster on-ice performance, the debilitating recession, the lockout, and the team’s uncertain future in the valley have all contributed to the poor attendance. But I do think they really sealed their fate when they broke ground in Glendale. The option for Scottsdale was where the old Los Arcos mall was, now ASU’s SkySong research center. That would’ve been a prime spot for the team, with the 101 and 202 within a mile or two, between Old Town Scottsdale and ASU’s campus.

Posted by awould on 06/11/15 at 12:40 PM ET