Carey Price Enters NHL/NHLPA Assistance Program

NEW YORK/TORONTO (Oct. 7, 2021) – The National Hockey League (NHL) and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) announced today that goalie Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens will be away from the team while voluntarily taking part in the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program.

There will be no further comment.

added 11:13am, Angela Price with a post on Instagram.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

Did not see this coming.  Hope for the best for him and his family.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/07/21 at 10:23 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Elliotte Friedman tweets,

Bergevin says Price away for minimum 30 days but “could be longer.” Obviously, not a set timetable

Said he found out yesterday and it “caught me off-guard.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/07/21 at 10:26 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

His wife’s Instagram post is inspiring. Between her and his kids, he’s got a lot to motivate him to get better. Best wishes for a better life for him in the future.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/07/21 at 11:07 AM ET

d ca's avatar

Perhaps if this catches an organization off guard then it is a sign the organization needs to be a little more proactive with player well being.

There are always signs when it gets to a point of someone voluntarily entering treatment. And it usually is an uphill battle for a while. So I wish him the best. The NHL has come a long way from continually bailing Probert out of jail.

Posted by d ca on 10/07/21 at 11:15 AM ET

Nice post by Angela Price for sure.

We lose too many good people - in and outside of hockey
- when they feel alone and overwhelmed and think struggling
is a source of shame.

Mark Borowiecki also recently spoke up about some struggles with
stress and mental health he’d been having which crested last season.
The physically toughest players, the most mentally tough goalies under extreme pressure - it can be anyone.

There is zero shame in saying: I’m having a tough time and asking for help!

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/07/21 at 11:20 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I will say this here and pretty much nowhere else.  After a couple of concussions over the last 5 or so years I’ve struggled mightily with certain functions - without a doubt it is tougher for me to do my job.

Most concerning to me is my memory is really quite bad and it makes it tough for me to keep up at times in a fast-paced job where I am making dozens of decisions a day which impact others.  It’s honestly scary.

That said, I have not told anyone I work with about my issues.  If I do, I know they’ll start to second guess my decisions, question what I actually am remembering, and not trust me.

All that is to say, I completely understand Price not telling anyone within the org.

I guess maybe someday I should write one of those posts on the members blog here about it.  I know it’s something a few of us likely go through either personally or with close friends and family.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/07/21 at 12:55 PM ET

Mr. Fnytelhatt's avatar

I would read this!

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 10/07/21 at 01:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I’d read it to TK, if you need some help, just let me know.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/07/21 at 01:26 PM ET

I would read it, too, TK.

That’s a tough spot where if you explain the challenge at work
it could open the door to people questioning everything you do
and your ability in general.

Is there a separate dept or place at or via work you could
reach out to either anonymously or which would be kept confidential?
I know health insurance is tough in this country and access to care
for concerns about stress or symptoms less physically obvious can be more difficult.

I wonder if there is a national org dedicated to things like post-concussion symptoms. Ideally there’d be some support and ideas about how to accommodate this at work, and how to communicate it well protecting your rights as an employee.

These two popped up. Can’t say they’re what’s most suitable.
But hopefully a starting point for resources and ideas from people who have dealt with similar.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/07/21 at 02:46 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/07/21 at 01:55 PM ET

Because you mention concussions and not family history like Alzheimer’s, ALS, or Parkinson’s disease nor change in medications, or life long alcohol abuse: It sounds like you are showing symptoms of CTE (problems with memory, impulsivity, confusion and/or problem solving).

This is not something to take lightly.

CTE is a progressive, degenerative brain disease for which there is no treatment (—but there are ways to help manage it). More research on treatments is needed, but the current approach is to prevent head injury.

You should start by seeing and having an in-depth appointment with your family doctor—unless your medical insurance doesn’t require a referral in which case make an appointment with a neurologist or other specialist (neuropsychologist, etc) for further evaluation.

Please do this quickly as specialist visits often take months to be scheduled.

If you wanted to go the route of NeuroSport Concussion Care. Here is there website U of M NeuroSport Concussion Care

Be sure to have written down:
when symptoms began and if they are getting worse (list specifics if possible)
major stresses or recent life changes
family history of degenerative diseases
medications (including vitamins and supplements)

This isn’t something that you want to ignore and hope it goes away.

Posted by d ca on 10/07/21 at 03:55 PM ET

TK there are some things you can do. I actually have been seeing doctor who has greatly helped me with my cognitive issues as a result of a chronic illness.

My concussion severity has been cut more than in half.

He actually has worked with former NFL players and gotten very good results. LMK if you need more info, but neurofeedback is the treatment in conjunction with a few wearables, one known as the Vielight Neuro Gamma, and the Mind Alive David Delight pro.

Posted by tbuhg on 10/07/21 at 05:06 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts and everything, I really appreciate you guys taking some time to put your thoughts and experiences out there.

I’ve got a bit of a busy couple days but I’ll try to put together a members blog post sometime this weekend. If nothing else it could just to be a good place for people to share their own experiences and knowledge.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/07/21 at 09:48 PM ET