Brendan Smith Staying With The New York Rangers

via Bob McKenzie tweets,

NYR and Brendan Smith are close to finalizing what is expected to be a four-year deal.

It will be an AAV of $4.35M.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brendan+smith

Comments

The Meal's avatar

I was in MSG for G4 of OTT @ NYR.  Fans were pretty positive on what BS had brought to their team.  (I was also, reservedly, positive for BS’s final 15 months on the Wings roster.)  Anyway, glad he found a new home and happy he managed to bring in those sorts of numbers on his new contract.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 06/28/17 at 01:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I watched Smith get walked around repeatedly in that series, as well as being out of position on a regular basis. His only positive was his aggressive style of play in the ozone, which he didn’t get to use much in Detroit.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/28/17 at 01:46 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I can’t say I am any type of scout or can provide any decent analysis, but when you get benched in the playoffs (3rd period/OT) and are consistently playing the least or 2nd least amount of minutes amongst the d-men, not sure i want to give you 4mil+.

Then again, this is the market for a supposed top 4 d-man.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/28/17 at 01:53 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I think NY fans are feeling optimistic.  Like chicago fans about Jurco.

If we’d signed him for that much, I’d have been going insane.  And I’m a fairly calm dude.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/28/17 at 02:31 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Smith was used in the last minute of Playoff games by Coach AV and other critical times.  I was shocked to see him out there but he did pretty well.  Better than Errorson, broken Kronner and last years DeK???  Now to find some Crow.  Holland should have a LARGE FLOCK!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/28/17 at 02:56 PM ET

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/28/17 at 03:56 PM ET

He also made large contributions towards many of their losses.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/28/17 at 03:02 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Imagine the outrage from those who aren’t quite as calm…

Posted by RedMenace from A Tormented Hellscape on 06/28/17 at 03:13 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 06/28/17 at 04:13 PM ET

If I give up my 11 Cups vanity plate, do ya want it? It’s a shame to drive around Raleigh, and have Hurricanes fans point and laugh at me.

Posted by dougie on 06/28/17 at 03:49 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by dougie on 06/28/17 at 04:49 PM ET

Well, your plate is much better than their potential plate:

“2TMS1CUP”

Don’t throw in the towel yet, Dougie… we could be the Oilers and have one player asking for $13m/year, and another asking for $9m/year, both for 8 years.

Posted by RedMenace from A Tormented Hellscape on 06/28/17 at 04:22 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

The Rangers always seem to over compensate players. Smith is just another one.  confused

Posted by bigfrog on 06/28/17 at 07:29 PM ET

Bullet dodged.

Posted by captaineclectic on 06/28/17 at 07:36 PM ET

Good luck to him.

Clearly too much at his age for where the Wings are as a team.

But not bad if he fills a regular role as the number four.

It will be interesting to follow him here.

Fans and media were definitely positive about Smith, but if the
big mistake-prone version surfaces with any regularity, neither will hold back.

Posted by Lefty30 on 06/28/17 at 07:57 PM ET