gebze evden eve nakliyat
Kukla's Korner Hockey - Kukla's Korner

Barry Trotz Resigns As Head Coach Of The Washington Capitals

via the Washington Capitals,

Barry Trotz informed the organization today of his decision to resign as head coach of the Washington Capitals. We are obviously disappointed by Barry's decision, but would like to thank Barry for all his efforts the past four years and for helping bring the Stanley Cup to Washington. Barry is a man of high character and integrity and we are grateful for his leadership and for all that he has done for our franchise.

added 3:03pm, Elliotte Friedman tweets,

We had believed Trotz was a free agent this summer. That’s not correct. There was a two-year extension if he won the Cup in WASH. But, as coaches’ contracts have exploded in value, it was below the current market. Both sides tried to negotiate an extension....

But they could not come to terms. Trotz is now a free agent, as WASH will grant permission to other teams who want to talk to him.

added 3:03pm, via Washington Capitals PR department,

Barry Trotz statement-

"After careful consideration and consultation with my family, I am officially announcing my resignation as Head Coach of the Washington Capitals.  When I came to Washington four years ago we had one goal in mind and that was to bring the Stanley Cup to the nation’s capital.  We had an incredible run this season culminating with our players and staff achieving our goal and sharing the excitement with our fans.  I would like to thank Mr. Leonsis, Dick Patrick and Brian MacLellan for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this great organization.  I would also like to thank our players and staff who worked tirelessly every day to achieve our success.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: barry+trotz

Comments

duhduhduh's avatar

Maybe Blashill could hire him on as an assistant.

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/18/18 at 03:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I believe the NYI are the only team without a head coach.

Will Trotz go there or wait?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/18 at 03:22 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Craziness.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/18/18 at 03:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Well, there goes any hope for a repeat for the Caps.

Posted by Primis on 06/18/18 at 03:38 PM ET

Well, there goes any hope for a repeat for the Caps.

This.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/18/18 at 03:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie tweet,

WSH has been grooming assistant coach Todd Reirden to succeed Barry Trotz and that is the highly likely next step, although not before GM Brian MacLellan and Reirden go through something of a quasi-formal interview/discussion just to drill down on the potential succession plan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/18 at 04:44 PM ET

Another excellent coach KH will miss out on as he gets an Blashill.  Sigh.

Posted by Ventr on 06/18/18 at 06:32 PM ET

@bets

Posted by Ventr on 06/18/18 at 06:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Maybe Blashill could hire him on as an assistant.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/18/18 at 03:17 PM ET

Laughed boisterously in the car. My fiance blames me for hearing loss because of it.

You’ve simultaneously made and ruined my night.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/18/18 at 06:41 PM ET

Not interested right now anyway. The roster needs to improve too much. Bringing in an excellent coach at this point would hamper that. Also, I don’t think he would knuckle under to Holland, so I don’t think Holland would hire him even if his press conference was about how he’s was looking forward to working in Detroit for a pittance.

Posted by teldar on 06/18/18 at 06:45 PM ET

Bringing in an excellent coach at this point would hamper that.

Yeah, you definitely don’t want to bring in an excellent coach during a rebuild. Why would anyone want an excellent coach during the time that you should be teaching and helping prospects to develop into NHL players.

That would be silly, stick with the mediocre coach. Notching teaches excellence better than mediocrity.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/18/18 at 06:49 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m stunned.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 06/18/18 at 10:21 PM ET

I actually believe Blashill is good at developing players. You may feel free to disagree.

Posted by teldar on 06/19/18 at 07:44 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I think the forwards have gotten better.  Not convinced about the D. That could just be a lack of talent, tho.  And I guess that speaks to DDK’s true level.

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/19/18 at 08:45 AM ET