gebze evden eve nakliyat
Kukla's Korner Hockey - Kukla's Korner

Automatic Suspension For A Headshot?

from Mike Johnston of Sportsnet,

The NHL has taken steps in recent years to crack down on headshots in order to make the game safer and former Boston Bruins star Marc Savard thinks that’s a positive sign.

“Players are more aware obviously now. Things are better,” he told Sportsnet’s Starting Lineup Wednesday.

Savard, who recently opened up about his struggle with post-concussion syndrome in The Players’ Tribune, does think the league can do more to deter players from injuring their peers.

“As I sit here and I think back to the [Sidney] Crosby situation with [Matt] Niskanen—I know it doesn’t look deliberate but it’s still a headshot and I think there needs to be a suspension no matter what whether it’s deliberate or not. You still hit the head whether you meant to or not.”

continued, plus you can listen to the interview...

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc+savard

Comments

If the guy pops back up, are you really gonna suspend every single play that involves a hit to the head?

Posted by PMP5030 on 05/31/17 at 12:43 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

That’s an idea that is ripe for abuse, unfortunately.

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/31/17 at 01:01 PM ET

Yes.  You punish the action, not the result.

If someone shoots another person but the victim lives, do you not arrest the shooter?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/31/17 at 01:16 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/31/17 at 01:16 PM ET

WOOF. That’s a TERRIBLE analogy.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/31/17 at 01:28 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

Savard suggests a 7 game suspension for head shots, deliberate or not. Can you imagine Niskanen getting seven games for that “head shot” on Crosby? Many argued it didn’t deserve a game misconduct, let alone a suspension for the remainder of their playoff run. I know people come at suggestions like these from a good place, but this one has problems on multiple levels, the most fundamental of which is that zero tolerance rules create more problems than they solve. There is a desire to have the league make rules about everything, but, as can be seen with offsides rule, changes produce unintended consequences that need to be mitigated to the highest extent possible. Taking decision making away from the refs/league will lead to a bunch of abuse. Not to mention putting unintentional head shots on par with the most dangerous infractions in the league overstates the risk by a longshot.

Posted by PDXWing on 05/31/17 at 01:28 PM ET

Yes.  You punish the action, not the result.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/31/17 at 01:16 PM ET

Ask Dick Cheney about that.  There’s an element of randomness in contact sports that you can’t account for.

Posted by PMP5030 on 05/31/17 at 01:29 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Ughhh so stupid.  They can’t even get something as simple as “offsides” right - how are they going to properly distinguish what a headshot is?

Posted by TreKronor on 05/31/17 at 01:43 PM ET

Headshots, boarding, elbows, they all happen and continue to happen and people are outraged at the DPS with whichever decision they make…the outrage should be aimed at the player if people care so much.  I don’t know why everyone, including the players, expect the league to create a system of punishments to try to get headshots out of the game.  If the players don’t want headshots in the game, then they shouldn’t make them and do their ultimate best to avoid them.  The players union should be able to punish their own members, or even choose not to represent them.  If the players don’t care, then as a fan, why should I?  This is an unpopular sentiment, but the league really has no obligation other than the bare minimum to avoid the subsequent lawsuits.

The only thing I’d like to see change is the length of penalty IN THE GAME for such calls.  I don’t understand how a trip, hold, interference, and hook get the same punishment as a board, elbow, or headshot.  That, I’ll never understand.  The minor, double minor, and major already exist - categorize the foul accordingly.

Posted by PMP5030 on 05/31/17 at 01:54 PM ET

It’s a game where 200+lb dudes fly around on sharp blades, with sticks and pads, throat hit each other. Head shots are going to happen, and I don’t think it’s really a problem. They’re isn’t a ton of headshots. Niskanen thing was purely an accident. This is the media looking for clicks because it’s gonna start some sort a debate. I mean maybe hitting the goalie in the head with the puck should be suspension worth too. It’s happened to me more then enough. It doesn’t feel great, and the ringing in the ears. And the pucks that hit me have no where near the velocity of the NHL. This is stupid

Posted by TB1015 on 05/31/17 at 10:45 PM ET

I think there needs to be a distinction between accidental and on purpose. It’s really not that hard to tell the difference with time after the game to review the hit. I really do want the action punished, not the result.

I agree with PMP5030. The NHLPA and players need to take a more active role if they really want to do away with these hits. Why is it every time one occurs the union fights to reduce the penalty? it was one of their own members who got hit! If players wanted these hits out of the game they could do it quick.

I still think equipment plays a big role. The players feel fearless in those hard shells.

Posted by evileye on 06/01/17 at 11:51 AM ET