Afternoon Line- Max Pacioretty

“I mentioned that at the end of the year that no one is really holding us accountable,” Pacioretty explained. “If we have a bad year like this, the city would be half on fire in Montreal. Here in Vegas, it’s 80 degrees, and it’s sunny. We’re getting our car washed and getting our organic food, and going to play golf.

“I was kind of like, ‘we’ve got to police this thing a little better amongst each other.’ I don’t want to say it was a country club, but you have no one from the outside holding you accountable.”...

"A lot of these guys haven’t played somewhere else so they don’t know really what it’s like," Pacioretty said. "I’ve felt myself personally it always gets the best out of you when my coach or someone else are demanding and hold you accountable and I found myself almost missing that a tiny bit when things went wrong this year."

Thomas Hall of Yahoo has more from Pacioretty...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: vegas+golden+knights

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If Pacioretty wants accountability to be part of his team’s culture, I would think he’s going to love it in Carolina. I get the impression that Brind’Amour isn’t shy about demanding the absolute best from his players.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/03/22 at 03:49 PM ET

“If we have a bad year like this, the city would be half on fire in Montreal.

I get what he’s saying, but if Montreal “would be half on fire” if the Habs missed the playoffs by three points (like Vegas did this season), then explain why there isn’t a giant, smoking crater where Montreal is after they went from the SCF to the literal basement of the league.

Posted by GMoney on 08/03/22 at 03:52 PM ET

I hope KMacCrimmon is reading that.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/03/22 at 04:03 PM ET

Well Gmoney it’s called hyperbole.  Being one thr most important sports team in your city and under delivering after making big moves it’s probably a fair bit more uncomfortable in your day to day vs Vegas.

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/03/22 at 04:18 PM ET

Chet's avatar

He wouldn’t be saying that if he was still there. He was also part of the leadership group on that team, so who indeed is he even talking about? They had injuries and lost a season. End of story.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 08/03/22 at 10:43 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

That’s pretty damning.  Also pretty ballsy.

I’ve had a similar situation with an office I joined, the culture of the team was really poor and no accountability.  It was so different than every other team I had been a part of.  And you can be a leader and lead by example and hold people accountable, but it takes more than just a couple people - especially if you are talking about a team with twenty some players on it.

Definitely an interesting comment from Max though…I wonder what else he’s thinking but not saying.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/04/22 at 09:46 AM ET

I find it a little ridiculous that fans and press holding the team accountable would have significant impact on player performance. Now if the coaches, GM and player leadership aren’t doing it, that is a different story. I know as new member it was probably tough for Max to take on that role immediately but as a veteran, he really should have made an effort to step up and change things. A little bit of self-accountability, if you will.

Posted by evileye on 08/04/22 at 10:19 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by evileye on 08/04/22 at 10:19 AM ET

So home ice advantage is worthless?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 08/04/22 at 12:41 PM ET

So home ice advantage is worthless?

Not completely. I think positive reinforcement works and that energy is transferred to players.

But I don’t think fans/press booing and bitching gets players play much better.

These are professionals who have worked hard their whole lives to get where they are at. I just don’t see how fan/press comment, likely from someone that never played the game, makes them change their effort and if it does you have to wonder why the player needs that as a motivator. A coach, GM or fellow player would have a bigger impact.

Posted by evileye on 08/04/22 at 12:54 PM ET