A Big Loss For The New York islanders

from Larry Brooks of the New York Post,

For this Monday night in Tampa, the Islanders were imposters, unable to compete in any facet of the game, overrun in all three zones by the Lightning in an 8-0 Game 5 defeat that stands as the most lopsided in franchise playoff history and leaves the club on the brink of extinction going into Wednesday’s Game 6 at the Coliseum.

“It was one of those nights where we couldn’t do anything right,” head coach Barry Trotz said following the fiasco. “If this result doesn’t motivate us, then I’m not sure what will. We’ve just got to man up.”

But it may be even worse than that, difficult as that might be to process. Because though the effects of this drubbing would not necessarily carry over into Wednesday under ordinary circumstances, the Islanders are going to have to wait for a decision from the Department of Player Safety regarding the availability of Mat Barzal for the team’s first potential elimination game of 2021.

And there is not a soul in the world who would want to be at the mercy of the decision-making process of VP George Parros and his band of consultants under any circumstance, let alone while on the precipice of doom.

But that is where the Islanders stand. That is where Barzal brought his team by losing his cool at the second-period buzzer following a giveaway on the power play by getting a major penalty and game misconduct for cross-checking Jan Rutta to the ice with what appeared to be the side of the head after No. 13 first responded to their engagement with a cross-check to the defenseman’s left shoulder.

read on

Below, wath two incidents from the game.

Barzel ejected

This was expected

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Not sure that call on Barzal was warranted. It looked to me that more of his glove caught Rutta in the face then his stick. Mind you, I am reviewing on a small laptop. There was much worse in this game from both sides and these whole playoffs. TB has got away with a lot of shit during this run.

TB manhandled NYI in all facets, but the non calls around the net (cross checking, tripping, etc) has to play on the players emotions. Then they try to defend themselves and it gets ugly. I am not making excuses for any violent hits to the head, but I have seen so many cross checks to the head and neck during the season and these playoffs this Barzal incident should be nothing.

Plus Rutta going down like a sac of potatoes is embarrassing. These players are mimicking the tactics used by the Soccer world and I find it disturbing and very sad. Hockey has been watered down so much by the league over the years and now the players are helping destroy some of the integrity of the game.  Very sad.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/22/21 at 07:39 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/22/21 at 07:39 AM ET

100%, well said

I watched the game on my big screen and to me, I didn’t see stick contact with the head, it looked like pure glove, but I didn’t slow it down and watch it repeatedly either.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/22/21 at 10:46 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Thanks Murray for validating my old eyes.

Chalk it up to another bad call.
big surprise

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/22/21 at 02:20 PM ET

It did look more glancing. I’m not saying Rutta wasn’t stung. But I’ve seen worse too. Barzal didn’t do his team any favors by dramatically finishing Rutta into the ice and pushing him into when he was already down. If Rutta embellished at all Barzal might have stolen the scene with best supporting actor.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/22/21 at 02:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I saw the hit live last night and just walked away once I saw the replay.  The dive was worse than the contact, IMO.  Guys getting speared out there, whacking the backs of knees in front of the goals…stuff like that.  But that scrum with some contact to his face and you’d have thought he was blindsided and punched.

It also made me think about how many accidental high sticking’s go uncalled throughout the season, despite blood being drawn.  Are guys going to start flopping on the ice as soon as they are contacted to try to get the penalty?  It shouldn’t have to be that way, but man I would hate to see the sport get to that point.

With the game going the way it was, Tampa should have been expecting a scrum or cheap shot anyways.  Turn the other cheek and walk away.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/22/21 at 02:44 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If they decide Barzal needs a game suspension then its a crime. The call last night was sufficient.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/22/21 at 03:21 PM ET