2. A Sports Potpourri: Charity makes for a blended sporting experience. In Regina today, the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders are participating in a basketball game for charity, raising money for a school program focussed on children, kindergarten to grade 8. The event also features an auction with NHL hockey collectibles, and one of Roberto Luongo’s sticks is on the auction block. So not only is the man dazzling Vancouver every night; in some small way, he’s also contributing to the Salvation of the Next Generation, or something. He’s practically a saint, no?
3. Rob McVicar Moved On: Former Canucks prospect and goalie with the Manitoba Moose and Victoria Salmon Kings (both Vancouver affiliates) is in Victoria tonight with his new team, the Utah Grizzlies.
McVicar was moved around by the Canucks last season and said he felt torn in all directions—from making his NHL debut by spelling Alex Auld for a few minutes, to being sent from the Manitoba Moose of the AHL to ECHL Victoria for 33 games to not playing anywhere in pro hockey during the Turin Winter Olympics break because of an administrative roster move the Canucks needed to make.
It was almost a relief to be set free by the Canucks in the off-season.
“I was all over the place last season and it was tough to get settled in somewhere,” noted McVicar. “This season, I’m not worried about what [NHL] organization wants to put me where and what they think of me—I was happy just to be able to concentrate on being in one place and doing well in Utah [a former AHL franchise and now one of only five ECHL teams not affiliated with an NHL club].”
5. Something to Make a Bitter 2006-Playoff-Deprived Canucks Fan Happy: The Edmonton Oilers are closing in on a team record for sucking. With 8 games of consecutive losses, they just might break their 1993 streak of 11 consecutive losses. (Does anyone know the Canucks record on this statistic, incidentally? God knows, we’ve had some crap years…)
6. Canucks vs Blues Tonight: The game starts at 7pm at home. The Canucks have lost 2 games in a row, which is mildly depressing but all you need to attain some perspective is simply to reread item #5 above. And with any luck at all, maybe Curtis freakin’ Sanford will quit making Vancouver his bitch. It’s getting ridiculous…
7. Crazy Canucks Espisode #25:Paul Kukla is the guest on the show and adds his Detroit Red Wings love to the mix as we anticipate the Wings-Nucks game on Saturday night. Click here to download the episode or listen online!