Abel to Yzerman

Abel to Yzerman

A2Y- Moving Forward

04/23/2023 at 6:08am EDT

from Nate Brown of Detroit Hockey Now,

In this edition of Detroit Red Wings two truths and a lie, DHN will look at how week’s draft and how it may–or many not–affect offseason plans.

Truth: Regardless of Draft Position, Yzerman Will Make an Eye Popping Move

There are many examples of Yzerman’s ability to shock when it comes to transactions. His first big one was drafting Moritz Seider in 2019 with a slew of forwards still on the board. Another was dealing Anthony Mantha to Washington only months after signing him to an extension. Trading Filip Hronek to Vancouver was another one.

A review of what was said as Yzerman, Lalonde, and the players answered end-of-the-year media sounds exactly as it should. The rebuild, unofficially is over. No one will declare it so. But reading between the lines, it sure seems like anything but a playoff spot next year will be seen as a disappointing failure.

Captain Dylan Larkin noted the youth injection and how it will help Detroit going forward.

“As much as you think about next year you think with the young players coming into our lineup, it’s a much better environment for them to succeed with support that we’ve had in the past,” Larkin said. “That’s what I’m really excited about.”

But there was this gem from Lalonde, who offered praise first for his team’s effort before laying down the truth.

“I think I was realistic with what my expectations were with this team. I did not have this team – I have no problem saying it now, and I never would have said this to this group all year – I didn’t see this as a playoff team.”

read on


from Kevin Allen of Detroit Hockey Now,

The Toledo Walleye have decided two Detroit Red Wings’ prospect goalies are better than one when it comes to their ECAC Kelly Cup playoff run.

    The Walleye have a 2-0 lead over the Indy Fuel in their best-of-seven playoff series and have used both of their Red Wings’ netminders.

    Sebastian Cossa, 20, made 18 saves in a 4-1 Walleye win on Friday in Toledo, and John Lethem0n followed up with a 4-2 triumph Saturday. He posted 34 saves.

    Cossa owns a .947 save percentage going into Tuesday’s Game 3 in Indianapolis and Lethemon is at .944.


    Royal Grand Exalted PooBah

    I hope Steve doesn’t read this. I would rather the Wings pick the best players they can get without making “eye popping moves”. Those eye popping trades can coat alot and this team just took a set back having to trade away two probable 30 goal scorers. 

    Trading all the picks to get Debrincat seems like a bad move to me as it puts all your eggs in one basket and gives those picks to a division enemy. 


    “So a team that is inching closer but needs that big scorer or two to have a more balanced attack, it seems only logical that Yzerman will look to acquire it.”

    still vexed as to SY letting V go..for a 4th.? and now, to give up assets for same? can you say collusion?

    one man’s opinion: build that D wall at the blueline – defy them to break it - let the kids find the back of the net, along w/the Captain, Perron, Kub, et al.

    convinced that the wings are overdue to find that diamond in the ruff..those 6th/7th rounders if you will.


    from Dan Kingerski of Detroit Hockey Now,

    Because Elmer Soderblom started the season with the Detroit Red Wings and finished with the Grand Rapids Griffins, GM Steve Yzerman had a scripted message for him during his exit interview.

    Yzerman said he wanted Soderblom to know, “Just because you might have finished the year in GR, don’t assume that’s where you’re starting next year.’

    Soderblom played 21 games for the Red Wings, and then 20 for the Griffins after he was sent down in January. Then, an undisclosed injury washed out the rest of his season. He didn’t play a game after March 10. The 6-foot-8 Soderblom had five goals with the Red Wings and five more for the Griffins.

    The Red Wings seem convinced he can score at the NHL level, and the hope would be that he figures out how to use his size more effectively.

    “I have a good idea of what he is as a player,” Yzerman said. “Is there room for growth? Absolutely. I still think he has tons of potential.”



    It is predicted the Red Wings will pick tenth, meaning they will drop in the drafting order as usual.


    The Wings have a roughly 65% chance to pick 9th, and are about twice as likely to move down (25%) as to move up (10%)

    Create an Account

    In order to leave a comment, please create an account.

    About Abel to Yzerman

    Welcome to Abel to Yzerman, a Red Wing blog since 1977. No other site on the internet has better-researched, fact-laden and better prepared discussions than A2Y. Re-phrase: we do little research, find facts and stats highly overrated and claim little to no preparation. There are 19 readers of A2Y. No more, no less. All of them, except maybe one, are juvenile in nature. Reminding them of that in the comment section will only encourage them to prove that.

    Most Recent Posts

    Most Recent Comments

    Comment by Chet in Abel to Yzerman from the entry Time To Mack A Splash? - 2 hours ago
    Comment by NHLJeff in Kukla's Korner Hockey from the entry The Vegas Golden Knights Earned Their Way To The Stanley Cup Final - 2 hours ago
    Comment by nctheo in Abel to Yzerman from the entry Time To Mack A Splash? - 4 hours ago
    Comment by TreKronor in Kukla's Korner Hockey from the entry Let A Retired Player Present The Stanley Cup - 5 hours ago
    Comment by HippyDave in Abel to Yzerman from the entry Time To Mack A Splash? - 6 hours ago