Abel to Yzerman

Would You Trade Filip Zadina For Jesse Puljujarvi?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

In a minute.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/22 at 05:11 PM ET

Very difficult to get a true value of a player when he plays with McDavid and/or Dreiseitl on the same line.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/06/22 at 05:22 PM ET

Sure, why not

Posted by pnwwing on 07/06/22 at 06:04 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If Steve made this trade I would not be mad. Both players could use a shake up.
I still have some faith that Zadina can do it here.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/06/22 at 06:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

While I do feel like we could get it done for a pick, but if KH wants his draft pick in Edmonton? That’s fine too, I guess.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/06/22 at 06:33 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I still have some faith that Zadina can do it here.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement

I do too. In fact, I’d be reluctant to let a guy like Zadina go before he has a chance to play for Lalonde. Filip has skills, and he showed last year that he’s willing to work hard to improve his game. It seems like he just needs to start believing in himself again, and Lalonde may be able to help him rebuild that confidence.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/06/22 at 07:15 PM ET

Yes, in a Kappo Kakko second.

Posted by exor54 on 07/06/22 at 08:11 PM ET

Yes, for sure.

And I kind Zadina and am still hopeful
he puts it together: the puck-hounding game, forechecking
and setting up teammates,
as well as a more varied offensive confidence himself.

But Pulu is just plain bigger without giving up much in speed.
And while he also hasn’t quite put it together offensively in spite of
at times having some truly stellar centers, he’s considered a
committed two-way player who adds a sort of grit that’s often overlooked.
That’s a player Detroit could use more of.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/06/22 at 08:50 PM ET

d ca's avatar

But only because I want a #1 centre and believe Zadina (and picks and another better player) must be part of that package.

Posted by d ca on 07/06/22 at 10:37 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Lalonde may be able to help him rebuild that confidence.

I agree OTC.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/06/22 at 10:42 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I think we’d all agree this season is Zadinas’ last chance. He may flourish under Lalonde but if he doesn’t the Wings won’t much for him in any trade. I’m not expecting miracles but a 20g 20 assist year is not unrealistic to ask for. Otherwise he’s just another 3rd line player. I’d rather trade him now for Puljujarvi if I had my druthers.

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 07/07/22 at 12:03 AM ET

ChillDistiller's avatar

d_ca, quite rare for a no 1 center to get traded.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 07/07/22 at 08:45 AM ET

JP is likely the better player at this point… but I’m not a fan of JP. like at all.
Don’t want to see him in the winged wheel for the next few years.  I’ll pass, I’d rather keep Zadina and hope he can turn it around under Lalonde.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 07/07/22 at 01:06 PM ET

Well, good old CapFriendly says that Zadina’s an RFA as of right now.  Interesting.

Yzerman seems to have a pattern of taking care of his RFAs before doing any kind of trading or UFA signing.  If he goes to arbitration with Zadina, he keeps the rights to Zadina until there’s an agreement or none.

But Zadina for Pulu?  Originally, I wanted to see how Zadina plays under the new coach and his new coaching staff.  But his RFA status needs to be resolved soon.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/07/22 at 01:06 PM ET

d ca's avatar

ChillDistiller’s avatar

d_ca, quite rare for a no 1 center to get traded.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 07/07/22 at 08:45 AM ET

Agreed. Going to have to be a massive payment to get one. They typically don’t make it to UFA either.

But you can’t complete a rebuild without one. And the Wings missed out on the chance to draft one—bad luck/bad coaching in March’es of past. So the choice is to go get one or start a mini tear-down of the current version starting with older players with value and languish in the lottery for another 3 years—minimal.

Posted by d ca on 07/07/22 at 03:55 PM ET